• This topic is locked This topic is locked
155 replies to this topic

#21 EBrown

EBrown

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Ding... If it is already not in-house, and updates cannot be kept up with... then what precisely is the difference(looking back at Portal, Subscriptions... et tal)?

Offering a "solution" is not directly tantamount offering a fully functional integrated product.... which is what folks expect from the IPS Suite.

I always feel integration is key, things like tracker should already be provided in IP.Board. Same thing for referrals and basic necessities that free forum software have.

I don't think any of our primary competitors offer a tracker solution. :unsure:

Perhaps not the way it is designed where it is an extra tab. I can give you several examples of several forum software that do this. I just don't want to get in trouble for linking sites. Obviously you guys do it the best, but I'm just expressing that slacking just because you can is like saying: why go beyond our competitors and make ourselves that much better?

Not trying to start a rant here, waiting on it should be fine and dandy.
Thanks always,
Elliott Brown

#22 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Does anyone know if it works in 3.3? Just wondering.

#23 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,761 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

:twitch: http://community.inv...er.com/tracker/ ... I reported 3 bugs on the latest beta today... it still functions, if that was the question.

#24 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,676 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

>.< Actually really really would like to see something... anything in defense/response/updates from him... why do you think we are all so anxious/distressed about this App?

His response is likely to be far less glamorous or insightful than you are expecting, I suspect. Alex does a lot of work for us already, and Tracker is something he maintains in his spare time outside of the work he does for us. I believe he was recently working through a lot of school work and exams, and just hadn't had much time to work on Tracker.

I know this doesn't help any, but I don't think a response or excuse is really what anyone wants to hear. I don't want to promise or say anything that we can't or don't actually deliver on, so that is why you're not getting more information in this thread yet. Once we have determined internally the best way forward, I'm positive one of us will let you guys know our plans.

I always feel integration is key, things like tracker should already be provided in IP.Board. Same thing for referrals and basic necessities that free forum software have.

Perhaps not the way it is designed where it is an extra tab. I can give you several examples of several forum software that do this. I just don't want to get in trouble for linking sites. Obviously you guys do it the best, but I'm just expressing that slacking just because you can is like saying: why go beyond our competitors and make ourselves that much better?

Not trying to start a rant here, waiting on it should be fine and dandy.

I am positive our competitors have bug tracking software installed - most software development companies do. What I meant was, I don't think our primary competitors offer an off-the-shelf for-sale or freeware issue tracker application internally.

We use it here, and we are running 3.3.

At the end of this all, we have taken your comments into account and are discussing the best way forward. Once we have decided what that path is, we will let you know.
  • EBrown, IPBSupport.de, Rhett and 2 others like this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#25 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I think we have a lot of confusion and differing information here. I hope I can clarify for everyone...

IP.Tracker is indeed an IPS product. It is one of our "extras" that come along with a license. The concept of "in house" is not really being accurately applied here but that is irrelevant to most everyone I am sure.

Alex, who is a member of our staff, is the core developer of this project. He has many duties here at IPS so I would rather not have anyone blaming him personally. I often have him doing many things in addition to IP.Tracker of course and we have not been making IP.Tracker a high priority while we focus on IP.Board 3.3's development. IP.Tracker, along with our other apps, we completely agree are due for an update very soon after IP.Board 3.3 (don't forget we use all our own stuff so we know too). We simply planned our development schedule around IP.Board 3.3 as that is the "core" that our apps run under. As I am sure you will agree: the better the core the better the app! :smile:

We will certainly evaluate IP.Tracker in the very near future and let everyone know what our plans for it will be. The same is true for our other applications. IP.Board 3.3 is coming out very, very soon so expect a whole load of updates soon after.
  • AndyF, Alex, EBrown and 3 others like this

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

#26 CessPoolCleaner

CessPoolCleaner

Code GooRoo

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

We will certainly evaluate IP.Tracker in the very near future and let everyone know what our plans for it will be. The same is true for our other applications. IP.Board 3.3 is coming out very, very soon so expect a whole load of updates soon after.

I do not think any of us are trying to 'beat up' any person, we are saying to IPS enough is enough. If as you say v3.3 is now the magic number well then before even allowing any IPS staff to think or v3.4/v4 fix up the stuff. It is not just Tracker, there is the documentation, a new sample basic application to use as a model (the existing Hello World aint relevant no more) all of this stuff was raised before v3.2 and it is starting to be hugely frustrating that IPS is neglecting the non-core part continuously.
  • EBrown and Marcher Technologies like this

JLogica .. has left the building .. Hope you all have a lovely and productive life.

#27 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,761 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I do not think any of us are trying to 'beat up' any person, we are saying to IPS enough is enough. If as you say v3.3 is now the magic number well then before even allowing any IPS staff to think or v3.4/v4 fix up the stuff. It is not just Tracker, there is the documentation, a new sample basic application to use as a model (the existing Hello World aint relevant no more) all of this stuff was raised before v3.2 and it is starting to be hugely frustrating that IPS is neglecting the non-core part continuously.

Nail, head, facepalm.
not just about this specific app IMHO.... a universal "hey let's actually update it ALL to the current stable" needs to happen, tracker was focused on for lack of anything, but the need/feeling goes quite beyond any app... I still have to hunt error codes out occasionally.... :baby:

#28 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

People complaining about tracker. People complaining about IP.SEO. People complaining about gallery.

This topic is the same as the android vs ios one honestly.

#29 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

People complaining about tracker. People complaining about IP.SEO. People complaining about gallery.

I don't think it just complaining as you stated it but it more of IP.SEO is having some problems, okay that cool. But IP.Tracker's current version is release as a Beta and that it was never completed as a "stability" release and bugs have been log. Thus it been in beta for for a few months. That the issue there. With gallery it was release with an "upgrade" to what it was then a release was done. But when the "upgrade" of this major version was release it lack so many features that where strip out of the version before and never put back in. It coming back later on, thus when the version came out it lack many things that it had before and it a year later and still it has not been put back. This is what I believe where the issues on hand that people are very concern about and it and waiting for so long for the basic features to be put back. Of course this is my thoughts and I could be wrong.

#30 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

This just in, no complaining in the feedback forum! It's only to be used to tell IPS how great they are!
  • Blueracer66, TaffyCaffy and Marcher Technologies like this

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#31 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

This just in, no complaining in the feedback forum! It's only to be used to tell IPS how great they are!

Maybe complaining is a bad word.

#32 IPBSupport.de

IPBSupport.de

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 559 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

IP.Tracker category removed... Any News???
Helge Holst
IPBSupport.de Organization

| German IP.Board Support | German Language Packs | My Amazon Wishlist |

"Programmining is similar to sex, if you make a mistake you have to support it for the rest of your life!"

#33 TSP

TSP

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

But we use IP.Tracker :(

I hope it will come back. Now we won't be able to get help from the community on it either?

I am administrator TSP on the norwegian IPB 3.4.5-board Diskusjon.no.

#34 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

As this topic attests people are clearly unhappy with Tracker in its current state so we are removing it for the time being until we can make a long term decision.

Charles Warner

#35 Grant B

Grant B

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Someone else is free to make a version and release it to the marketplace then?
  • raindog308 likes this

ipcslider.pngtopicSlider.png

grantbartlett_twitter.pnggrantbartlett_googleplus.pnggrantbartlett_linkedin.pnggrantbartlett_github.pnggrantbartlett_website.png

#36 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm not sure how you got that from my reply :)

Charles Warner

#37 Grant B

Grant B

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Just a question really

we are removing it for the time being until we can make a long term decision.

Doesn't really help people, just needs bug fixing from what I've read? What decision are we talking about?

grantbartlett_twitter.pnggrantbartlett_googleplus.pnggrantbartlett_linkedin.pnggrantbartlett_github.pnggrantbartlett_website.png

#38 TSP

TSP

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

As this topic attests people are clearly unhappy with Tracker in its current state so we are removing it for the time being until we can make a long term decision.

I can't see why you would remove it completely.

Maybe move it to another forum parent and give a clear message at the top that it's currently not supported or expected to receive replies from staff or something like that.

The problem is that if we experience problems now we can no longer see if some other users experienced the same issue or if they've got it solved by a fix they applied. I have a couple of issues I should've searched or see if anyone in the community was able to help with them.

I am administrator TSP on the norwegian IPB 3.4.5-board Diskusjon.no.

#39 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Someone else is free to make a version and release it to the marketplace then?

You weren't always free to do this?

#40 Grant B

Grant B

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

You weren't always free to do this?

Don't think so, not if IP has it already? Could be wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users