• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 IPBSupport.de

IPBSupport.de

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

We never had that option before, why was it added now? Tabbing between locations on a web page is standard accessibility functionality, and should be restored.

SIGN!!!
Helge Holst
IPBSupport.de Organization

| German IP.Board Support | German Language Packs | My Amazon Wishlist |

"Programmining is similar to sex, if you make a mistake you have to support it for the rest of your life!"

#22 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

That's an easy one.. if you are typing in anything in ckeditor that requires a tab the old approach tabbed out of the editor. Our heavy programmer-laden forum is chock full of people writing code blocks that necessitate the tab key. For an editor, it should absolutely be there.

Speaking as a programmer myself, I would rather it went back to the old way. I don't write code in this editor, I paste code from other sources here that already have tabs in them. Even if your statement meant to imply that all programmers like the tab key doing the opposite of what browsers design it to do, not everyone who uses IP.Board is a programmer. I'd hate to see IPS get into any issues over the accessibility problems this change causes.

I find myself having to use the old editor most of the time because frankly I think a lot of the things like this tab functionality regression to be a pain with this new editor. It's just a shame that switching back to the old editor makes us lose all of the buttons. I'd at least like to be able to insert bbcode as actual bbcode tags by clicking a button rather than have to type them out all of the time, but I have to type them, because the CKEditor makes things too cumbersome.
  • Adriano Faria, IPBSupport.de, insectdude and 2 others like this

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#23 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Speaking as a programmer myself, I would rather it went back to the old way. I don't write code in this editor, I paste code from other sources here that already have tabs in them. Even if your statement meant to imply that all programmers like the tab key doing the opposite of what browsers design it to do, not everyone who uses IP.Board is a programmer. I'd hate to see IPS get into any issues over the accessibility problems this change causes.

I find myself having to use the old editor most of the time because frankly I think a lot of the things like this tab functionality regression to be a pain with this new editor. It's just a shame that switching back to the old editor makes us lose all of the buttons. I'd at least like to be able to insert bbcode as actual bbcode tags by clicking a button rather than have to type them out all of the time, but I have to type them, because the CKEditor makes things too cumbersome.

^^Signed, sealed, agreed.... this.... both points... i hit tab, i darn well expect to be moved to the next tabindex.... not have this silly editor make 4 spaces for me.... and... jeez louise... can we have functional STE again this year?
I've been stuck with RTE... simply because i utterly refuse to type out the bbcodes when i type code all day every day ANYWAY....
It is supremely evil, and mangles code... and don't dare try to swap mid-edit... :rofl:
  • Adriano Faria likes this

#24 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

http://community.inv...729#entry139729
  • Marcher Technologies likes this

#25 IPBSupport.de

IPBSupport.de

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Great work, Matt! :thumbsup:
Helge Holst

"Programmining is similar to sex, if you make a mistake you have to support it for the rest of your life!"

#26 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

^^Signed, sealed, agreed.... this.... both points... i hit tab, i darn well expect to be moved to the next tabindex.... not have this silly editor make 4 spaces for me.... and... jeez louise... can we have functional STE again this year?
I've been stuck with RTE... simply because i utterly refuse to type out the bbcodes when i type code all day every day ANYWAY....
It is supremely evil, and mangles code... and don't dare try to swap mid-edit... :rofl:

Now I've restored normal tabbing, do you promise to write full sentences with the occasional new line? ;)
  • Rhett and Marcher Technologies like this

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#27 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Now I've restored normal tabbing, do you promise to write full sentences with the occasional new line? :wink:

Don't agree to this Marcher. Your posts account for 84% of the entertainment on this forum.

#28 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

But....he.....must....have...gone....through....so...many......full stop...keys

Actually, that takes ages typing that many dots.

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#29 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

But....he.....must....have...gone....through....so...many......full stop...keys

Actually, that takes ages typing that many dots.

It's just a tribute to his remarkable patience and talent. If he stops now then we might never see another entertaining moment like Marcher talking to himself.

#30 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's just a tribute to his remarkable patience and talent. If he stops now then we might never see another entertaining moment like Marcher talking to himself.

.... What can I say to this? I'm just a tad bit off the wall, are we not all in some fashion?

Now I've restored normal tabbing, do you promise to write full sentences with the occasional new line? :wink:

I can make the full-fledged attempt :).

#31 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Never change. :laugh:

#32 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Now I've restored normal tabbing

...is it just me or is it tabbing to the search box?

#33 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

The problem is that you then lose the ability to TAB text in the text editor.

Is it really so hard to hit space 4 times?

Is it just me or is it tabbing to the search box?

It is...... which is truly odd, the editor has a tabindex of 2, post has a tabindex of 1, more reply options has a tabindex of 0.
That search form has a tabindex of 6.... now I am quite interested to know how it is doing that trick.

#34 IPBSupport.de

IPBSupport.de

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

...is it just me or is it tabbing to the search box?

LOL yes, now TAB goeing to the search box...
Helge Holst

#35 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Marcher go back to incomplete sentences until Matt fixes this.
  • Mikey B likes this

#36 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Marcher go back to incomplete sentences until Matt fixes this.

-.-... I seriously need to hold onto my Post button until the thought is not only completely formed, but fully considered if I have become a source of entertainment.
I am more intelligent than my typed words sometimes make me seem, my brain simply goes along faster than I am able to type.
I am not amused.
  • Mikey B likes this

#37 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Sorry. I was just teasing. My apologies Marcher, I know you to be quite intelligent. :)
  • Mikey B likes this

#38 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,500 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Alt + Tab works for me in Chrome on OSX.

ALT+Tab in Winders switches between programs. Obviously MacOS is awkward. :smile:

Sorry. I was just teasing. My apologies Marcher, I know you to be quite intelligent. :smile:

Yes, he's quite intelligent. At least when he's not disagreeing with me. :whistle:

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#39 Perhonorificus_merged

Perhonorificus_merged

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Sorry to bump this, but are the developers aware that TAB goes to the search box, and is this being worked on?

Thanks

#40 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Sorry to bump this, but are the developers aware that TAB goes to the search box, and is this being worked on?

Thanks

They know. I made sure they know. :)
  • Matt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users