Photo
- - - - -

Do developers get a free version of IPB?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 catman232

catman232

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

I am looking to get IPB to develop themes and mods, and I don't want/need to use it as community software. However, I don't want to pay the $150 just to make themes for other people, so is there any way that developers can get a free version of the software, as long as we only use it for development?

#2 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Those who develop 3rd party software for IPS products usually don't get free licenses for the IPS products. If you are concerned about spending $150 to develop add-ons or skins, then you might consider paying for a hosted community ($10/month) and that will give you access to most of the add-ons right there. Doing that, you could develop add-ons for a little over a year before spending $150. Since you're wanting to develop skins, this would be the best thing for you to do.
  • AndyF and Rhett like this

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#3 Cyrem

Cyrem

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Not as far as I am aware. If you purchase a license, you are allowed to operate one community on a domain and one test/development board.

#4 rsyvarth

rsyvarth

This, That, and The Other

• +Clients
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

No, at least I haven't ever heard of this happening.

#5 Francismori7_2

Francismori7_2

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

No, you will need to own a copy of it to be able to get access to the files it contains.

#6 Collin S.

Collin S.

IP.Hippie

• +Clients
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Unfortunately, we do not have a free license program for developers.

You may wish to consider a hosted community plan, as others have mentioned. Although the source code is encrypted in these hosted community versions, our marketplace does not permit file edits anyway and you will be fully able to take advantage of the hooks and apps system in our hosted environment.

Our hosted plans can be found here: http://www.invisionp...ect_package.php
  • Rhett likes this

-Collin S.
Invision Power Services, Inc.

if mouthsize > handsize
boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks

#7 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Free IPS products would be great. Actually, IPS used to do this with the Community Developers program which I was in along with a bunch of other devs for a while before it was shut down, so free access for a while was great, but now of course I pay just like everyone else, and I really don't mind it. The revenue generated from sales in the IPS Marketplace easily make up for the costs of the licenses. Besides, I love supporting IPS by paying them for their hard work. It's well-deserved. So if you feel hesitant about buying a license, I can assure you that if you create mods and skins that are good and put them up for sale on the IPS Marketplace, you'll likely make up for the license fees in a reasonable amount of time depending on your product.
  • Wolfie and Marcher Technologies like this

Dustin Schriffert | Virteq LLC Owner

IPB Mods and Skins: Virteq
IPB Support: Invision Modding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users