Photo
- - - - -

3.3.1 release schedule? How is initial feedback looking?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Fast Lane!

Fast Lane!

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Like I am sure many large forum folks I am waiting for the first rev after this update to upgrade myself. So the question is, how is the initial feedback and trouble ticket situation looking in the tracker? Will the first minor rev be weeks (I can wait; just curious)?

#2 jackflash

jackflash

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 841 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

I generally wait until a ".1" version comes out, but not with 3.3. I jumped right in - all is good.
  • Weatherz likes this

Live from the Motor City

#3 trancehed

trancehed

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Ya I'm also waiting. I've always jumped in in the past and usually regretted it.

Posted Image

#4 .time

.time

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

I don't think it's really necessary to wait for 3.3.1, this update was more about fixing stuff than adding new features. An IP.SnowLeopard if you will.
  • Maxxius likes this

#5 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

I upgraded a friends site to 3.3 that I post on regularly. His members haven't noticed any bugs. We on the other hand have noticed quite a few, but it looks like over time they've all been fixed in the tracker. Still though I'm glad I did his site first before I did mine. I'm waiting for 3.3.1 now.

#6 Fast Lane!

Fast Lane!

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

I upgraded a friends site to 3.3 that I post on regularly. His members haven't noticed any bugs. We on the other hand have noticed quite a few, but it looks like over time they've all been fixed in the tracker. Still though I'm glad I did his site first before I did mine. I'm waiting for 3.3.1 now.

I guess that's my immediate concern. It's good that many bugs are being found and closed (to be fixed in 3.3.1). It would be interesting to see a plot of bugs reported (and confirmed) by release number. I think the plot would give a good idea when things are stable. Right now there are about 140 bugs reported by members in the tracker for 3.3.0... a bit high for me to jump quite yet.

#7 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

Eh a lot of those are duplicates or people not having updated templates.

#8 Fast Lane!

Fast Lane!

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Actually about 75 are marked as confirmed and/or fixed and rolled into 3.3.1. That is pretty high still.

#9 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,654 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Where did you get 75 from?

There are 57 bugs marked fixed in 3.3.1 (as of right this minute) and approximately 35 open for investigation (and not marked as minimal impact or scheduled to be fixed in a later major release).

This has been a very stable release, all things considered. 3.3.1, nevertheless, is being actively developed and it won't be too long before it's out, I'm sure. I can't give an estimate I'm afraid.
  • jackflash, Maxxius and R1-Limited like this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#10 R1-Limited

R1-Limited

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

It is a pretty great build this 3.3.0 testing is never going to catch every single corner case or forum setup, but it will minimize the effects. I have had some minor issues, but nothing catastrophic as most 99% of these were caused by 3rd party and did not effect any functionality of base IPB or IP.C.

Great Job IPB and to the Dedicated QA team
  • Matt likes this

Visit www.verticalwaveforums.com Wave VoIP Discussion Forum

#11 AlexJ

AlexJ

Profiler

• +Clients
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Waiting for 3.3.1, next version of IP.Download and IP.Content. Once all 3 are released, I will hit upgrade :)

referral-0105609001340182954.jpg

#12 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,654 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

IP.Content 2.3.0 was released alongside IP.Board 3.3.0. It is probable 2.3.1 will be released alongside IP.Board 3.3.1.

The next release of IP.Downloads will be for bug fixes only.
  • Maxxius likes this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#13 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Right now there are about 140 bugs reported by members in the tracker for 3.3.0... a bit high for me to jump quite yet.

Actually about 75 are marked as confirmed and/or fixed and rolled into 3.3.1. That is pretty high still.

You two must be new to the world of software development. Even if you were to take 140 and add 75 to it to get 215, that's not too bad for an initial release of a new version of a product. Anytime several new features are introduced along with performance tweaks and other bug fixes, a number of new bugs are bound to pop up. So with there being under 100 (confirmed/fixed) is actually really good.

So in all actuality, this is one of the most stable 'main' releases there has been. With .1 then .2 and maybe even a .3, the number of bugs should drop drastically. The reason I said "maybe" a .3 is that with as good as it appears to be (so few bugs), I wouldn't be surprised if 3.3.2 was the end of the line for the 3.3 series. The developers did an outstanding job and we should give credit to them for such an accomplishment.

if you still think 215 is a high number, then go check out one of the veryBad competitors. I've heard how their 4.x series had well over 1,000 bugs when it was first released (in final status) and that's with 4.x really being 3.x, just repackaged. They actually took a stable product and created a massive number of bugs into it, instead of a complete rewrite, which then would have made 1,000+ bugs a bit more understandable for a 'final' release.
  • bfarber, Maxxius, PeterUK and 1 other like this

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#14 Fast Lane!

Fast Lane!

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

3.3.1 seems to be out on this forum... that was fast.
  • shaks likes this

#15 PeterUK

PeterUK

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Has something changed on Tracker? Do you now have to be an active client to view Tracker issue status? I can no longer see if an issue is Fixed/WAI or whatever.

I have two accounts, a client account without renewed support and an additional contact account and I don't see the statuses on either.

#16 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Has something changed on Tracker? Do you now have to be an active client to view Tracker issue status? I can no longer see if an issue is Fixed/WAI or whatever.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/359237-tracker-here-unable-to-generate-report-of-fixes/

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler

#17 shaks

shaks

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, i jumped when i saw 3.3.1 running on this forum, but the client area shows only 3.3.0. Maybe it'll be available for download before the weekend?

I'd like to complete the upgrade before Wrestlemania 28 on Sunday. :sheep:
  • Maxxius likes this

#18 PeterUK

PeterUK

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/359237-tracker-here-unable-to-generate-report-of-fixes/

#19 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, i jumped when i saw 3.3.1 running on this forum, but the client area shows only 3.3.0. Maybe it'll be available for download before the weekend?

If it's not in the client area by now, then it's doubtful that it'll be released before the weekend. I think a couple of Friday releases resulted in a number of problems, since any non-critical issues that are discovered are usually put off until the weekend is over (developers need time off you know). At least with a release on Mon-Thu, if there's an urgent (but not critical) issue discovered, there's at least a day before the weekend for it to be noticed and addressed.

Not saying that it's not possible to happen, just I believe very unlikely.

Anytime. :)

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler

#20 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,654 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

IP.Board 3.3.1 will not be made available on a Friday. ;) We don't do that, as support is limited over the weekend.
  • Aiwa, Maxxius and shaks like this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users