• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Is there a way to hide things on certain pages?

<if page=ccs>hide this</if>

Is an example of what I'm trying to do

No, that's what I'm asking for.

Unless you're using a page template of course.

#22 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hmmm, I had a method of hiding certain things on certain pages, before, but i dont know if i still have the modifications, since I didnt need it anymore.

Well if you can give me a screenshot pointing to what you want to hid or pm me your website so i can take a look via inspect element i might be able to reproduce the modification for it.

I am a 16-year (as of July 14 2012) old freelancer web-deisgner, that took interest in IPS's IP.Board, IP.Content, IP.Blog, and IP.SEO and nothing more. I just randomly go through files find bugs associated with it (Finding bugs in the Bug Tracker), then attempting to fix them myself with my 16-year old brain's capacity. This is what I call fun, what about you? If you think what I do at my age is weird then deal with it. I don't care what you think. I answer all PM's through MSN (and Invisionpower too now). I'm also a part-time app developer for Windows 8 - basically meaning I make apps and check for bugs between Windows 8 and the apps. (Other company's apps too). You needn't worry about why im an outsider doing things like this, I just like to do things randomly because it's fun.
----------------------

Last Updated --

#23 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hmmm, I had a method of hiding certain things on certain pages, before, but i dont know if i still have the modifications, since I didnt need it anymore.

Well if you can give me a screenshot pointing to what you want to hid or pm me your website so i can take a look via inspect element i might be able to reproduce the modification for it.

it exists..... i have not released the modification(new page type) as it is rendered removed from search and quicknav as a result of being a new page type.... if that does not bother folks i can put it out there... full template logic and the native page data passed to the page(course content is not gonna be provided, you make it).

#24 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hmmm, is it modifiable?

I am a 16-year (as of July 14 2012) old freelancer web-deisgner, that took interest in IPS's IP.Board, IP.Content, IP.Blog, and IP.SEO and nothing more. I just randomly go through files find bugs associated with it (Finding bugs in the Bug Tracker), then attempting to fix them myself with my 16-year old brain's capacity. This is what I call fun, what about you? If you think what I do at my age is weird then deal with it. I don't care what you think. I answer all PM's through MSN (and Invisionpower too now). I'm also a part-time app developer for Windows 8 - basically meaning I make apps and check for bugs between Windows 8 and the apps. (Other company's apps too). You needn't worry about why im an outsider doing things like this, I just like to do things randomly because it's fun.
----------------------

Last Updated --

#25 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hmmm, is it modifiable?

you are editing the template as you edit the page... so yes, i would think so, unless you mean the search, if so, only one of such a hook could fire... is messy.

#26 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

I was just asking because i like to modify files to suit "customer needs" or "my needs" if necissary.

----------------------

Last Updated --

#27 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

I was just asking because i like to modify files to suit "customer needs" or "my needs" if necissary.

well, then yeah, one could axe the limitation, I don't like to modify core files to suit needs, is not possible on hosted, is an evil menace on upgrades, and there is usually always a better way to go about it... the mod i speak of is all done as hooks, not file edits.... like any sane mod to an app.

#28 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:58 AM

I go with the best method i could use

----------------------

Last Updated --

#29 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

I go with the best method i could use

and how badly does that fare on upgrade(as i'm packaging the mentioned mod, fry it, suppose that’s not my concern)? just asking.

#30 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

not much it's all about trial and error, you will never learn unless you take risks - in my case I make a lot of risks, which is why I back up first.

----------------------

Last Updated --

#31 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

not much it's all about trial and error, you will never learn unless you take risks - in my case I make a lot of risks, which is why I back up first.

Do you maintain the file modifications through said updates? the risk is not the modification, the risk is merging the changes every upgrade, and that time/effort.
of course, we only speak of full license operation limitations, as i said that will not fly on IPS hosted, nor the MP.

#32 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

I update files if it's needed. If It were to change something I always save a backup of the modified files before reverting them.

----------------------

Last Updated --

#33 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

:smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users