• This topic is locked This topic is locked
188 replies to this topic

#41 surferboy

surferboy

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

With IPS, IPS has its own product line. IP.Board, IP.Content, IP.Blog, IP.Download, IP.Gallery, Nexus, and so on ... they have an entire line of products that integrate with IP.Board. IPS has even started to transform IP.Board into a social networking product. I think the next product that IPS will end up creating is a social networking application that integrates into IP.Board but is its own applicaion, like IP.Blog and IP.Content.

Being a huge fan of Robert's Social Groups app, I can already say that IPS already has a significant social networking application and the Status Updates continues to become more robust. Then there is the IP Chat which although not a social networking application, does enhance IPS' suite of products and don't forget Shoutbox.

ip board 3.3.4

ip content 2.3.5

ip blog  2.6.1

ip chat 1.4.3

ip calendar 3.3.3

-----------------

Super News Feed 4.1

Portal 1.2.0

RSS Management 1.0.9

ProMenu 3.0.5

Social Groups 2.0.5

Track Members 1.0.0

Classifieds 1.2.1

Mandrill Bouncer 1.0.1

#42 Connor T

Connor T

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

In my opinion this is like comparing apples and oranges.

If you have a good niche with good content. You don't need to worry about anything.

'nuff said.
  • Marcher Technologies likes this
Posted Image
Previously: iBotPeaches // .peaches

#43 keiichi morisato

keiichi morisato

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have to agree. But, I think IPS needs to stop these "facebook is awesome, message forums suck" topics from continuing to pop up. It's distracting to those of us who license the software and it's disrupting and demoralizing to those of us who support IPS. We support IPS products, pay our licenses and visit these support forums for answers to solutions regarding IPS products. It's not that Facebook shouldn't be discussed here, but it serves no purpose for topics like this one to be nothing more than "feeding that nasty troll" that keeps dredging these topics up.

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

#44 Connor T

Connor T

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Clients can talk about whatever they want. I get pissed off that people make 10000 SEO topics, but it doesn't detract from anything or make me think less of IPS in any way.

Its just a discussion, I see nothing in this topic that is "troll like".
  • Lase likes this
Posted Image
Previously: iBotPeaches // .peaches

#45 Lase

Lase

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Facebooks had it, it was a bad Initial comparison. What I should've concentrated more on was Google+ and LinkedIn, which has forum style structure that is also combined with a massive social networking platform. My demographic are professionals.

Facebook is geared around children, or adults who act like children. LinkedIn is for serious people, and as per my header post, is completely uncatered for despite being one of the top 15 websites in the world (if I recall, last time I looked it was 11 or 12).

While Facebook is used as a sharing tool, I want it's share buttons highly visible throughout my forum however. Again, I'll reply when I get to a machine.

"When watching television your conscious mind doesn't really have to take much of a hold on it because it has no say in the matter. It's the subconscious mind they want it to work on because whatever the subconscious works on will ultimately work on you. It just takes more time to settle itself like jelly poured into a mould." - Lase.

#46 keiichi morisato

keiichi morisato

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Facebook always is, and always will be, a social network for college students. But, I think Facebook has become drab, droll and simply boring. It's like that new videogame that you just bought that you keep playing but that never changes. Eventually you get bored with it. I think FB has simply gotten too stagnant and they tout these new features as the biggest thing in the tech industry.

I'm a regular member on Huffington Post.com and I have to say that everytime Facebook has announced a new feature, the media has reported on these as "major announcements". I ended up removing the Facebook login method from my forums because I'm not satisfied with how Facebook treats the privacy of its users. Not only that, I'm just not comfortable with Facebook "spiders" crawling my site.

Facebook has been investigated by the FTC at the urging of lawmakers as well as coming under attack by consumer advocates. I think they've simply become the new Microsoft in their attitudes towards their own customers. I'm not against Facebook, I just think that they don't respect the privacy of their users.

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

#47 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

These topics are always very interesting.

Facebook is fantastic news for forum owners. You can get people signing up and participating with a few short clicks. You can share topics quickly to a very wide audience and with the new timeline format being forced upon pages and brands, it's even more apparent that Facebook is not a good tool for fans to interact in a meaningful way.

Indeed, I have direct experience of a brand that used to use Facebook as a community purchase IPB as they had outgrown Facebook.
  • Eduardo Bautista and TaffyCaffy like this

#48 insectdude

insectdude

IPB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I agree with the points various people have made that social media such as Twitter and Facebook are excellent ways of driving people to your forum, particularly if your community targets a specific niche.

However I also agree with the original poster's point about IPB's current sharing buttons being inadequate (in fact for a long time I never even noticed they were there). That's why on my site, the top of every topic page now looks like this:

Posted Image

#49 keiichi morisato

keiichi morisato

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

There is a reason why I have disabled the Facebook login. Mostly, because many new members had been registering without a forum username. Don't ask me how they managed to pull this off but I realized that the Facebook login method was defective. I would love to be able to allow my members to login through Facebook but until IPS disabled the feature to register while using their Facebook account ... I just have no use for it.

I'm just surprised that this isn't an option for IPS admins. Like a feature that has a set of options:

1. Login w. Facebook: Yes | No
2. Register w. Facebook: Yes | No

As it stands, the Facebook connection is defective. There is no option to only allow login only methods. I want to be able to disallow registration because of Facebook's problems with spammers.
  • SubStrider likes this

#50 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Most browsers now have plug ins to hide social networking buttons with how boldly they're placed.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something." - Woodrow Wilson
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - Orlando A. Battista
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

#51 Eduardo Bautista

Eduardo Bautista

Needs Serious Help

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yes, sex also makes people spend less time on forums, are you going to do something about that?
  • Aiwa and TaffyCaffy like this

#52 keiichi morisato

keiichi morisato

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

The reason I have it disabled was that I was getting too many new members who could register with their Facebook connection but that the forum software was allowing them to register without a "Forum Username/Displayname". I just found this to be problematic as it could create problems with spammers and trolls. Luckily, I haven't had any issues with it but I did catch it before it became a problem.

I think that there needs to be more options for admins who use the Facebook login method. I wouldn't mind allowing my members to use the Facebook login as long as new accounts couldn't be created with the Facebook interface. Anyone have a solution for this? I recognize the need for the Facebook login but I don't want anyone creating accounts with the Facebook option.

#53 Eduardo Bautista

Eduardo Bautista

Needs Serious Help

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

The reason I have it disabled was that I was getting too many new members who could register with their Facebook connection but that the forum software was allowing them to register without a "Forum Username/Displayname". I just found this to be problematic as it could create problems with spammers and trolls. Luckily, I haven't had any issues with it but I did catch it before it became a problem.

I think that there needs to be more options for admins who use the Facebook login method. I wouldn't mind allowing my members to use the Facebook login as long as new accounts couldn't be created with the Facebook interface. Anyone have a solution for this? I recognize the need for the Facebook login but I don't want anyone creating accounts with the Facebook option.

I thought that issue was fixed in 3.1?

#54 Kyanar

Kyanar

Let's say my yearly license expired in...

• +Clients
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

OP raise a valid point with respect to the role of social media and the decline in forum discussion participation. It is a paradigm shift in social discourse.

Let us compare Invision Power versus Facebook using Compete.

You did not just use an opt-in panel of less than 0.1% of the internet-connected consumer base to illustrate your point did you?

Oh yes, yes you did.

Unless you can get metrics out of IPS and Facebook directly, any comparison of "unique views" is fundamentally flawed.

Even, you're counting views to this site, which is forum owners (who will tend to be technologically savvy and privacy aware enough not to sign up to be part of some company's great tracking experiment), versus views to Facebook, which is end users. Very disingenuous.
Mat / Fusion Digital Entertainment Limited
Our Website: http://www.fusiondigital.co.nz/
Our Forums: http://community.fusiondigital.co.nz/

Chronicle, the desktop time tracker for Windows • Fusion Menu, the leading navigation enhancement application for IP.Board • CommunityContact, the in development community newsletter application

#55 Lase

Lase

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I think the original poster could have come up with some more original ideas if they thought they were going to "save the day", I think if it needed rescuing and your tips are to make some small skinning changes then your tips fall way below the mark. However I do not think it needs rescuing.

You're the second poster to critique the fact that only one method of improvement has been demonstrated. And like I said in the OP, Is it really up to a new client to start listing fundamental ways through which to improve their product when someone, somewhere is probably on a handsome salary to exhaust avenues like this.

To be quite honest I've been concentrating on IP.Board for 4 weeks and I'll list my stats in a moment. In that short time I've noticed between 15 and 20 methods through which to make massive improvement to this software. To put my money where my mouth is I'll demonstrate another of the more trivial things I've come up with...

Posted Image

Why am I scrolling through threads in 2012?

I get to the half way point and I've had enough, or suddenly decide I wanna search or check for something else. Maybe check the shoutbox who knows. 'Back to top' is great, but I have to scroll all the way down to use that (and 80% of IP.Board users probably don't know it exists). How it should look :

Posted Image

IP.Board can have that one for nothing. But If I was to devote time to spilling my mind out, I'm a new user it's not like I owe the company anything, I'd want paying. "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms", and my minds worth it. If only I had a small army of scriptwriters and programmers and graphic designers like Invision has there'd be something pretty new and all-encompassing in development guaranteed. It doesn't stop at that with Invision; It's got a gigantic user base, largely untapped.

Re; this navigation bar - Sooo yeah the writings on it's side. Does it really matter? It's still legible a user's gonna know what that is when they see it floating as they scroll, or so maybe it needs tweaking or thought through fully. Frankly I think you could get away with that as it is.

.... and is that trivial? Any step up against a competitor isn't trivial. The share buttons I pictured in the OP are by no means trivial either, to my mind they're long overdue and I've only been onboard 4 weeks.

So my stats.

Like I said in a previous post I'm going for professionals.
  • The first week was getting it set up, I wasn't working alone.
  • A week after I paid the money to IP was when the drive to get people over started. This was what I set up the Twitter account for, but of course had no followers. This is week Two.
  • So during the second week achieved approx 110 registrations. I was quite happy with that given that it was mainly word of mouth, there's sod-all on the board and I'm also forcing people to register with their real name, something many users aren't comfortable doing I'm sure.
  • The third week it dwindled. This was when we put the Board Index share buttons on. These can't be blamed but they should've been installed from the off on hindsight.
  • Now I'm four weeks in and on 210 approx.
But the activity levels dreadful. It's on 100 posts and that's me and a couple of the people involved in the forum. Organic user inputs IRO 20 posts / threads. All the while members are busy bees on LinkedIn and Twitter (can't comment on Facebook I don't use it). LinkedIn because it's a massive social network of professionals, but with group functions and a forum structure, with 'likes', 'shares' basically all the things I'm hinting need looking at on IP.

Threads and posts have been 'liked' in-site, so this has had me a little frustrated that people don't notice these share buttons the way they are currently. There's a lot in the balance with a new board. Ten years ago you'd be laughing.

Posted Image

LinkedIn aren't going backwards. And look at the pair of them; LinkedIn's put its head down and provided script that auto-runs any profile holder's latest tweet directly to each contact's homepage whom the user has in their network. That can a be a lot of people. It's pretty good teamwork I can tell you.

IP.Board isn't going backwards either... but it isn't moving forwards as quick as I'd perhaps like. And I love the board you must understand I've got it's best interests at heart. I've admin'd on iphbb etc so I knew where I was going this time around.

In my opinion this is like comparing apples and oranges.

If you have a good niche with good content. You don't need to worry about anything.

'nuff said.

Posted Image

Yeah nuff said ay, pretty cushy time to start a board six years ago. There's a hell of a lot more going on now in 2012 mate. I dunno what you're into, but take it as a given if you were starting whatever board you started then now you'd be twiddling your thumbs, and you'd be pissed off about the share buttons as well I shouldn't wonder.

I have to agree. But, I think IPS needs to stop these "facebook is awesome, message forums suck" topics from continuing to pop up. It's distracting to those of us who license the software and it's disrupting and demoralizing to those of us who support IPS. We support IPS products, pay our licenses and visit these support forums for answers to solutions regarding IPS products. It's not that Facebook shouldn't be discussed here, but it serves no purpose for topics like this one to be nothing more than "feeding that nasty troll" that keeps dredging these topics up.

Yep see this? The problem we've got is, most of the members posting here are pretty loyal to IP.Board. Their community is established and thinking about the now's easier than considering the tomorrow. Also the emphasis with a lot of these posts unfortunately is centred all on Facebook. Partly my fault because I mentioned it in the header, and it was the Facebook share buttons I was loading my guns about.

Whilst I think these are completely essential at this moment in time, I'm under no illusions about the limitations and the dangers Facebook is going to face, despite its CIA, MI5 and military backing. But not many people seem to be concentrating on Google+ at all. I don't blame them, it hasn't really got going yet in fareness. IP.Board should be forward thinking particularly because it has the money, the size, infrastructure and facilities to adopt software similar if not better to what we have here currently. Is the consensus that they won't bother? People are being way to optimistic, and shortcomings at this stage will be picked up by the other monster.

And the forum will be active in five years there's no doubt about that. But how many new boards are going to be being created? This is Invisions bread and butter growth strategy. How many people will be registering to IP.Boards forums in five years?... Will people be gifted forum building facilities on the registration of en email address?

If you ask me any seemingly tortoise like characteristics with whatever it's developing now is purely because they're getting ready for bigger changes.

Posted Image

• when you are 30+ years old you will realize what has come and gone and realize that all these social media are just fads,
  • believe it or not they will be replaced sooner or later by newer and more trendy apps.

• But it isn't under 30's that are using Twitter and Facebook and Tumblr and Google+. Serious people are using them in serious ways.
  • I've no doubt about this. So how far will IP.Board lag behind in allowing administrators to work fully in conjunction (if inclined) with these new sites when they do rise? It would do well to get a universal framework in place now (in terms of the share functions I detailed in the header post for one instance) to A - Utilise whats dominant in the interim, and B - Be better prepared for incorporating the next giants (which I'm sure, will be a lot better than what's around now remember, providing newer challanges).

I agree with the points various people have made that social media such as Twitter and Facebook are excellent ways of driving people to your forum, particularly if your community targets a specific niche.

However I also agree with the original poster's point about IPB's current sharing buttons being inadequate (in fact for a long time I never even noticed they were there). That's why on my site, the top of every topic page now looks like this:

Posted Image

That's really impressive mate. See people like myself starting a board for the first time won't have a clue how to go about doing this ourselves. Installing a shoutbox became a laborious affair and the Board Index share buttons a real pain in the arse. I honestly don't know how, years on from the inception of horrible sites like these, there still isn't a comprehensive widget that IP.Board have as an optional mod as default.

You really don't know how to compare sites do you....

Explaining what he wasn't doing would be more appreciated by the reader. Maybe you didn't have time.

"When watching television your conscious mind doesn't really have to take much of a hold on it because it has no say in the matter. It's the subconscious mind they want it to work on because whatever the subconscious works on will ultimately work on you. It just takes more time to settle itself like jelly poured into a mould." - Lase.

#56 Kyanar

Kyanar

Let's say my yearly license expired in...

• +Clients
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

That's really impressive mate. See people like myself starting a board for the first time won't have a clue how to go about doing this ourselves. Installing a shoutbox became a laborious affair and the Board Index share buttons a real pain in the arse. I honestly don't know how, years on from the inception of horrible sites like these, there still isn't a comprehensive widget that IP.Board have as an optional mod as default.

Something like AddThis?
Mat / Fusion Digital Entertainment Limited
Our Website: http://www.fusiondigital.co.nz/
Our Forums: http://community.fusiondigital.co.nz/

Chronicle, the desktop time tracker for Windows • Fusion Menu, the leading navigation enhancement application for IP.Board • CommunityContact, the in development community newsletter application

#57 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I will say one more thing.
of all the things I could say....
The OP is quite correct in One Regard, at least i can hope..... the title. :rofl:
Now! Before I get Blasted OFF here.... note, I mean quite literally that I could see, at the point you speak of, that IP.Board, will no longer be Completely Required, and that the Invision Power Suite with each unique component becomes a reality.... and is Promoted and labeled as such.
  • TaffyCaffy likes this

#58 keiichi morisato

keiichi morisato

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Marcher, in regards to the Facebook login method, I've tried looking for the settings and you cannot really select one or the other. The options seem to have a "single option for all". When I looked at the settings, IPB only allows you to enable or disable the system. You can't simply allow "User Facebook Login" and that's it. The settings seem to "bundle Facebook Login with Facebook register". There is no option to allow just the Facebook login. There is simply no setting to disable forum registration through Facebook, which is what I've been looking for.

My apologies for not being clear on that issue. I thought this would have been fixed, but apparently there have been no changes to the "social media login method". The same problem exists for the Twitter login option, as well.

#59 YoungL

YoungL

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

Why am I scrolling through threads in 2012?

I will agree with this part... look at what I did (http://www.ibpdownlo...3079#entry53079) the entire header including the PMbox, Notification Box, Navigation and Breadcrumb navigation all float.

The trouble you see is not everyone wants that, not everyone wants certain things.

IP.Board has to look at the picture as a whole and has to decide which features it implements. If IP.Board were to implement every possiblity and eventuality it would be one hell of a bloated piece of software. Facebook runs on hundreds of thousands of servers, it is one sophisticated piece of software. But again, not everyone likes the direction that is going in. Companies have to choose which way their software is designed.

IP.Board does expect you to customise your skin, it completely does, hence why it has a skinning system. You can go out and buy a custom made skin for a few hundre dollars if you want, you can then specify how you want it to look. IP.Board caters for countless numbers of sites, it can not possibly accomodate them all. I think you are very naive in thinking that they should be expected to have a skin which is perfect for your needs your needs probably account for less than 10% of their customer base.

IPS has a great community, a great modification and application marketplace and there are a lot of talented developers building addons, modifications, applications and skins. If there is something you want this piece of software to do I am sure it can be done. If it is so niche that it is not available in the store you can get a custom mod developed. The possibilities are truly endless. But if you want your forum to be succesful you need to do the hard work and you need to adapt your forum to meet your sites niche and make it individual to your users needs.
ibpArcade Downloads
Providing ibProArcade games for
Communities Since 2005
http://www.ibpdownloads.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#60 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Marcher, in regards to the Facebook login method, I've tried looking for the settings and you cannot really select one or the other. The options seem to have a "single option for all". When I looked at the settings, IPB only allows you to enable or disable the system. You can't simply allow "User Facebook Login" and that's it. The settings seem to "bundle Facebook Login with Facebook register". There is no option to allow just the Facebook login. There is simply no setting to disable forum registration through Facebook, which is what I've been looking for.

My apologies for not being clear on that issue. I thought this would have been fixed, but apparently there have been no changes to the "social media login method". The same problem exists for the Twitter login option, as well.

this is not the fault of IPB actually.... -.-
read both the Twitter and Facebook TOS on the matter.
..... It seems that to use their service, "No more is required of the user to access site entry beyond logging in through our service".
ergo.... you speak of WHY these two are so crippled, lack of any control or privacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users