Photo

Moving my member list (PhPBB3) to a new server (IPB)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ee_joseph

ee_joseph

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hello, I wanted to ask if it is possible to move my members in my phpbb3 forums into a new server which I plan to run IPB on.

Is that possible? if so how?

#2 Connor T

Connor T

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

huh?

Just convert the phpBB3 board. Delete all the forums/topics after the conversion if you want. Don't mess with some half-conversion, thats bound to have problems.
Posted Image
Previously: iBotPeaches // .peaches

#3 ee_joseph

ee_joseph

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

That's not the point. The point is my PHPBB3 forums are on server A. I got now Server B which I plan to install IPB on.

What I want is move my members + posts etc to the new server running IPB.

It does not matter to me how much I can move so long I get my members list, so If I can move everything great if not member list and passwords is what I really need and want.

#4 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,094 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Install IPB and the converter on server B...

Backup your DB on Server A and install it as it's own DB on server B..

Run the converter in IPB to convert your members and posts... You can't just import your members and posts to the IPB table without converting the data...
  • ee_joseph likes this

My Files and Support: aiwa.me

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Battlefield 4 Profile Integration -No Renewals (Sell trial memberships!) 

-Support Request Menu

#5 ee_joseph

ee_joseph

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Install IPB and the converter on server B...

Backup your DB on Server A and install it as it's own DB on server B..

Run the converter in IPB to convert your members and posts... You can't just import your members and posts to the IPB table without converting the data...

Thank you very much that's what I wanted to know, would you kindly clarify "install it as it's own DB on server B." How do I Install the DB?

#6 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,094 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

There are many ways to restore a backup of a DB.. In all honesty, I would recommend you contact your host of Server B and have them do this for you if you aren't familiar with DB tools such as phpmyadmin or bigdump.

On server B you should have 2 DB's. One for IPB, and one that you'll restore your PHPBB3 DB into.

If you're going to convert attachements, you'll need to bring over your phpbb3 files and uploads so they can also be converted and merged into the attachments table in IPB.
  • ee_joseph likes this

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Support Request Menu

#7 ee_joseph

ee_joseph

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

There are many ways to restore a backup of a DB.. In all honesty, I would recommend you contact your host of Server B and have them do this for you if you aren't familiar with DB tools such as phpmyadmin or bigdump.

On server B you should have 2 DB's. One for IPB, and one that you'll restore your PHPBB3 DB into.

If you're going to convert attachements, you'll need to bring over your phpbb3 files and uploads so they can also be converted and merged into the attachments table in IPB.

In another word just install PHPbb3, upload the back up from server A, then convert to the already installed IPB.

did I get that right?

#8 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,094 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Basically, yes.. Just make sure you install phpbb in a sub directory..

http://community.inv...t-ssh-access-r3

This might be a better guide than my mindless rambling. ;) It's geared specifically for IPB... But the concept applies to what you'll be doing for phpbb.

And this...
http://community.inv...onversions-r175
  • ee_joseph likes this

-Support Request Menu

#9 ee_joseph

ee_joseph

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thank you very much :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users