Allow Disabling of Multiple Image Sizes

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello.

In IP.Gallery if an image is over a certain size then multiple versions of the image are created at different sizes (small, medium, large, regular I believe). The size "limits" can be configured in the ACP. What I'd like to see is an option to disable this feature. I do not want multiple copies of a single image especially since the additional copies file size are not included in the total file size count displayed in the IP.Gallery stats and I do not think the other copies are deleted once the original image is deleted (I made that up actually, but it might be true).

I really only want it so that only one image is added when a user uploads an image, not potentially four. I know that I could just set the configurable "limits" to unreasonably high numbers but I think the option to disable this is a more reasonable solution especially since we can also avoid custom template edits this way.

chilihead likes this

Posted

Grrr, my workaround didn't matter because there are no settings for the small and square images. I really don't want this feature.

Posted

Another reason to get rid of this.

Duplicate title tags.

Posted

Another issue is that Google is spidering the different image sizes by following the #imageOptions link leading to duplicate content issues as well.

Posted

[quote name='Frontpage' timestamp='1336085541' post='2262691']
Another issue is that Google is spidering the different image sizes by following the #imageOptions link leading to duplicate content issues as well.

Posted

I would just like to have the option to display 1 image. That's all I need. my forum users have no need for small, medium, large, etc. They use the gallery to share images of their models and comment on the default image displayed. The rest just go unused wasting space. I don't even need the option to resize, just one image. Is that so much to ask? :P

Posted

[quote name='kotaco' timestamp='1337630337' post='2269579']
I would just like to have the option to display 1 image. That's all I need. my forum users have no need for small, medium, large, etc. They use the gallery to share images of their models and comment on the default image displayed. The rest just go unused wasting space. I don't even need the option to resize, just one image. Is that so much to ask? :tongue:

Well keep in mind the REASON for multiple sizes IMO is so that pages don't get absurdly slow. Imagine how horribly IP.G albums (for instance) would load if instead of showing thumbnails of images it loaded 2 meg images for EVERY SINGLE image in the album?! Look at an IP.G homepage and then imagine how slow that page would load if every image was the full size (2 meg image) being displayed in a small thumb rather than being a 3 k thumbnail.

You may not have a use for the other image sizes, but they ARE important for the majority of sites.

I do agree that there should probably be canonical tags to identify what image (full size) is the primary.

James

Posted

[quote name='Tigratrus' timestamp='1337631346' post='2269583']
Well keep in mind the REASON for multiple sizes IMO is so that pages don't get absurdly slow. Imagine how horribly IP.G albums (for instance) would load if instead of showing thumbnails of images it loaded 2 meg images for EVERY SINGLE image in the album?! Look at an IP.G homepage and then imagine how slow that page would load if every image was the full size (2 meg image) being displayed in a small thumb rather than being a 3 k thumbnail.

You may not have a use for the other image sizes, but they ARE important for the majority of sites.

I do agree that there should probably be canonical tags to identify what image (full size) is the primary.

James

Posted

Indeed, you misinterpretted my statement. I am fine with thumbnails. That would leave a total of 2 images per upload. 1 Thumbnail, 1 Regular Image.

Instead we have: Square, Small, Medium & Large.
I assume square is used as a thumbnail, (if it's not then that adds another image)

I would like the option to just have Medium and a Thumbnail image sizes. No need for small, or large. Now removing those 2 doubles times hundreds if not thousands of images = saved server space for other things, at least in a perfect world.

Posted

I like having different sizes of images in the gallery and not just one.

[quote name='Frontpage' timestamp='1336085541' post='2262691']

Put something in the spiderbot to disallow other sizes but the size you want, ez.

Posted

[quote name='ZakRhyno' timestamp='1337776768' post='2270013']
I like having different sizes of images in the gallery and not just one.

Posted

Since this is going to be a feature now in IPG 5 I have a quick question. Can there be a cleanup tool so that if I disable medium and small photos I can run a tool to delete all medium and small photos from my server?

And I suppose another tool to rebuild these photos if the settings were reenabled...

Please?

Posted

If you run the Rebuild All Images tool in the ACP (available on both the category and album management screens) it will delete the previous sized copies and rebuild the currently configured sized copies.

chilihead likes this

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1342626585' post='2288402']
If you run the Rebuild All Images tool in the ACP (available on both the category and album management screens) it will delete the previous sized copies and rebuild the currently configured sized copies.

Posted

Meaning if you disable medium and rebuild, it will simply remove it and not rebuild it correct?

Sounds good. I am looking forward to v5 to remove some of the sizes.

Members only need one, the rest can be display settings (gallery view, thumb).

Posted

[quote name='Lucy Heartfilia' timestamp='1342549823' post='2287958']
Since this is going to be a feature now...

Glad I read your post. So this will be in v5, cool!

Posted

Also I imagine with the rebuild there is no renaming, for shared links (all sizes). Just mentioning the obvious, thanks.

Posted

In the past this rebuild feature did not have an option to rebuild without watermarks. So if you had images that were imported from other programs or watermarked in earlier versions of IPgallery, a second watermark would be applied over the first, irreversibly damaging all the images in the gallery. I'm hoping this has changed as I would characterize this as extremely negligent on the part of IPS (especially in light of the fact this was pointed out for years and nothing was ever done about it).

And yes just having a thumb and a larger view should be considered the most basic gallery functionality and any other configuration (multiple images) should be options in the software.

To be honest, with the number of years that have passed with the gallery ranging from a buggy mess to a complete disaster, I'm losing hope that IPS can actually create a reasonable gallery program, which is baffling considering everything else they make is pretty good.

Posted

[quote name='Tamarack' timestamp='1344105929' post='2293728']
In the past this rebuild feature did not have an option to rebuild without watermarks. So if you had images that were imported from other programs or watermarked in earlier versions of IPgallery, a second watermark would be applied over the first, irreversibly damaging all the images in the gallery. I'm hoping this has changed as I would characterize this as extremely negligent on the part of IPS (especially in light of the fact this was pointed out for years and nothing was ever done about it).

And yes just having a thumb and a larger view should be considered the most basic gallery functionality and any other configuration (multiple images) should be options in the software.

To be honest, with the number of years that have passed with the gallery ranging from a buggy mess to a complete disaster, I'm losing hope that IPS can actually create a reasonable gallery program, which is baffling considering everything else they make is pretty good.

It was changed in v4 actually, however it cannot *retroactively* fix old images. If you uploaded an image in IP.Gallery 3 and it was watermarked, there is no way from a technical standpoint to remove that watermark when you go to add a new one.

As of Gallery 4, an original copy of the image is saved so that if you change watermark preferences later, the original copy can be used to generate the new thumbnails.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1344265297' post='2294306']
It was changed in v4 actually, however it cannot *retroactively* fix old images. If you uploaded an image in IP.Gallery 3 and it was watermarked, there is no way from a technical standpoint to remove that watermark when you go to add a new one.

As of Gallery 4, an original copy of the image is saved so that if you change watermark preferences later, the original copy can be used to generate the new thumbnails.

How does Gallery 5 handle this now?

Posted

The same way as Gallery 4. An original copy is retained if necessary.

Posted

We've had this circular discussion to exhaustion which is why I have given up hope that IPS will ever get image handling right. It is not fixed. Storing the original image was never a solution for those of us that already had 10's of thousands of images prior to version 4 or from other scripts. All that was ever needed was an option to not reapply the watermark when rebuilding the images (ie if you wanted to change thumbnail sizes). Not only did the storage of the original image increase the storage overhead significantly for those of us that didn't need or want that option, it did not address the legacy image rebuild problem.

Posted

[quote name='Tamarack' timestamp='1344470652' post='2295234']
We've had this circular discussion to exhaustion which is why I have given up hope that IPS will ever get image handling right. It is not fixed. Storing the original image was never a solution for those of us that already had 10's of thousands of images prior to version 4 or from other scripts. All that was ever needed was an option to not reapply the watermark when rebuilding the images (ie if you wanted to change thumbnail sizes). Not only did the storage of the original image increase the storage overhead significantly for those of us that didn't need or want that option, it did not address the legacy image rebuild problem.

Posted

[quote name='Lucy Heartfilia' timestamp='1344486503' post='2295269']
How do you remove a watermark from an image?

Once watermark you can't. I say the backup file that is there for such that reason.

Posted

The backup file is there so that if you change your watermark, or implement new thumbnail sizes, those settings can be correctly applied. The vast majority of our clients who submitted bug reports about the watermark WANT their new watermark applied to images when they rebuild those images. They do NOT want to upload a new watermark, rebuild images, and have the old watermark still used on the old images.

At some point if you are going to be allowing your users to upload files, you have to accept that you will need sufficient disk storage.

Kirito likes this