• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,674 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

The same way as Gallery 4. An original copy is retained if necessary.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#22 Tamarack

Tamarack

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

We've had this circular discussion to exhaustion which is why I have given up hope that IPS will ever get image handling right. It is not fixed. Storing the original image was never a solution for those of us that already had 10's of thousands of images prior to version 4 or from other scripts. All that was ever needed was an option to not reapply the watermark when rebuilding the images (ie if you wanted to change thumbnail sizes). Not only did the storage of the original image increase the storage overhead significantly for those of us that didn't need or want that option, it did not address the legacy image rebuild problem.

#23 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

We've had this circular discussion to exhaustion which is why I have given up hope that IPS will ever get image handling right. It is not fixed. Storing the original image was never a solution for those of us that already had 10's of thousands of images prior to version 4 or from other scripts. All that was ever needed was an option to not reapply the watermark when rebuilding the images (ie if you wanted to change thumbnail sizes). Not only did the storage of the original image increase the storage overhead significantly for those of us that didn't need or want that option, it did not address the legacy image rebuild problem.

How do you remove a watermark from an image?

#24 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

How do you remove a watermark from an image?

Once watermark you can't. I say the backup file that is there for such that reason.

#25 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,674 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

The backup file is there so that if you change your watermark, or implement new thumbnail sizes, those settings can be correctly applied. The vast majority of our clients who submitted bug reports about the watermark WANT their new watermark applied to images when they rebuild those images. They do NOT want to upload a new watermark, rebuild images, and have the old watermark still used on the old images.

At some point if you are going to be allowing your users to upload files, you have to accept that you will need sufficient disk storage.
  • Kirito likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#26 Kirito

Kirito

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

The same way as Gallery 4. An original copy is retained if necessary.

That's actually nice to hear. I had a problem with this in gallery 3, which resulted in my images being stamped with two different watermarks.

Though those images are still stuck with the watermark now, it's nice to know there's a backup in place for future uploads now.

RBiD22P.png This signature utilizes cookies. By continuing to view topics I have posted in, you are giving consent to cookies being used. RBiD22P.png

If you have a problem with this, please click here. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users