• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AlexJ

AlexJ

Profiler

• +Clients
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Would their be any possibility in future so that we can get rid of /forum/files/ in every download link?

Example:
http://fearless-assassins.com/forum/files/file/374-enemy-territory-auto-pk3-cleaner/

Link would clearly look nice if their is no /forum/files/ in it.

referral-0105609001340182954.jpg

#2 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

The /forum/ part would be because your forum is in a /forum/ directory.

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#3 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yes, but its not a forum. Its a file directory.

#4 AlexJ

AlexJ

Profiler

• +Clients
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

But why we need /files/ too? Even /forum/file/ could work nicely?

referral-0105609001340182954.jpg

#5 Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook

Needs Serious Help

• IPS Staff
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

The URL can be broken down into specific parts.

/forum/
This is this directory the IP.Board / IP.Downloads files are contained in. This is not controlled by IPB. If your installation is in the root of your domain, this would not be present.

/files/
This determines the application we are using. In this case, we need to specify that we are routing the request to IP.Downloads.

/file/
This determines what part of IP.Downloads we are viewing. In this instance, we're viewing a file.

/374-enemy-territory-auto-pk3-cleaner/
This determines what specific file we are viewing.

All parts of the URL serve a specific purpose to ensure we are routing the user to the correct location. :smile:

Ryan Ashbrook - @ryanashbrook
Invision Power Services, Inc.
Saving the world. One IP.Board at a time.

Please do not PM for support, but feel free to use our Client Area for questions.

#6 .time

.time

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

You can edit the URL template file to change "files" and/or "file" to something else, but the three segments are needed to route properly as Ryan said.

#7 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

/forum/
This is this directory the IP.Board / IP.Downloads files are contained in. This is not controlled by IPB. If your installation is in the root of your domain, this would not be present.

This seems because you consider IPB to be the core. Which is the case if you look at the code. But from a users perspective, the forum is not the core.
It makes a lot of sense to have base urls like this:
domain.tld/forum
domain.tld/downloads or domain.tld/files
domain.tld/gallery
etc.

It would add value to IPS if this would become possible.
This provides a logical url structure that end users can comprehend.

/files/
This determines the application we are using. In this case, we need to specify that we are routing the request to IP.Downloads.

See above.

/file/
This determines what part of IP.Downloads we are viewing. In this instance, we're viewing a file.

What other parts can be viewed?
It seems to me that it would be beneficial to end users if admins are able to disable this part of the url. It serves no purpose for the end user and it reduces keyword density in the url.

#8 Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook

Needs Serious Help

• IPS Staff
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

This seems because you consider IPB to be the core. Which is the case if you look at the code. But from a users perspective, the forum is not the core.
It makes a lot of sense to have base urls like this:
domain.tld/forum
domain.tld/downloads or domain.tld/files
domain.tld/gallery
etc.

It would add value to IPS if this would become possible.
This provides a logical url structure that end users can comprehend.

See above

IP.Downloads requires IP.Board to run. So, from a technical stand-point, the forums are indeed the core. If you store everything in the root, you can change the default application to load any of the applications first if none are specified. Clients can submit a ticket if they require assistance doing this, of course.

What other parts can be viewed?
It seems to me that it would be beneficial to end users if admins are able to disable this part of the url. It serves no purpose for the end user and it reduces keyword density in the url.

Categories of files, submission forms, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be changed in a future version, or discounting the validity of the request or anything like that... just explaining the way it is right now and the function that is performed by each segment of the URL. :smile:

Ryan Ashbrook - @ryanashbrook
Saving the world. One IP.Board at a time.

Please do not PM for support, but feel free to use our Client Area for questions.

#9 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'm not saying it can't be changed in a future version, or discounting the validity of the request or anything like that... just explaining the way it is right now and the function that is performed by each segment of the URL. :smile:

Yes, I see how it works that way from a technical standpoint. I really think it should work to suit the end user experience as well as SEO.

#10 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,674 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

If you install into the root of the domain, you have

domain.tld/files
domain.tld/blog
domain.tld/gallery
domain.tld/topic/xxxxxxx
domain.tld/forum/xxxxxx

More or less, it sounds like this is what you're after? You simply need to install to the root of the domain.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#11 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

The optimal file structure that I'm after would be:
domain.tld/files/filename
domain.tld/blog/blogname
domain.tld/gallery/imagename
domain.tld/forum/threadname
domain.tld/news/articlename
domain.tld/tracker/issuename
domain.tld/database/entryname
domain.tld/documents/documentname
domain.tld/video/videotitle
  • AlexJ and Tigratrus like this

#12 maidos

maidos

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

ditto, im not fan of the uncessary url,
http://www.site.com/forum/files/file/
could be
http://www.site.com/...s/categoryname/
or www.site.com/forum/files/filename
www.site.com/forum/filename
im not sure if that would be any issue since i had vbseo with the downloadsII addon on my vbulletin and i had no such issue with that. so it could be implement similar way what vbseo has done.
if theres filename with same name then just have a feature which will just rename filename-copy and the original filename to avoid conflicts
heres the demo http://www.minatica....ds/134-Audacity

just allow us to edit our own customized seo structure
  • Tigratrus likes this

#13 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

The optimal file structure that I'm after would be:
domain.tld/files/filename
domain.tld/blog/blogname
domain.tld/gallery/imagename
domain.tld/forum/threadname
domain.tld/news/articlename
domain.tld/tracker/issuename
domain.tld/database/entryname
domain.tld/documents/documentname
domain.tld/video/videotitle

^^^^^
This.

James

#14 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

You can edit the URL template file to change "files" and/or "file" to something else, but the three segments are needed to route properly as Ryan said.

Can anyone clarify the location for making these changes?

Thanks!

James

#15 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Can anyone clarify the location for making these changes?

Thanks!

James

Don't have it in front of me but from memory...

/admin/application_addons/ips/downloads/extensions/furltemplates.php
  • Tigratrus likes this

#16 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Don't have it in front of me but from memory...

/admin/application_addons/ips/downloads/extensions/furltemplates.php

You're a Lady (?) and a scholar. :)

Egads... so "files" is actually hardcoded into that furltemplates.php in like 15 places? Seriously?
I'd think that the names used for the apps in the url would be... Well... abstracted a bit more so that they could be easily changed.

My wife's mainly design and CSS focused, but I'm guessing that even Susan would find that a bit odd.

Dare I hope that this will be looked at for the upcoming shift to the "community" platform?

Seriously, IMO the entire URL structure functionality should be pulled out into a core section where you can craft a cohesive url scheme for the entire site without having to go diving into php edits for each and every app. That will then get stepped on next upgrade and TRASH your SERPS in the process.

Maybe the IP.SEO app should be expanded and made a core app so that all path/rout SEO url functionality can be handed over to it?

James

#17 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

You're a Lady (?) and a scholar. :smile:

Egads... so "files" is actually hardcoded into that furltemplates.php in like 15 places? Seriously?
I'd think that the names used for the apps in the url would be... Well... abstracted a bit more so that they could be easily changed.

My wife's mainly design and CSS focused, but I'm guessing that even Susan would find that a bit odd.

Dare I hope that this will be looked at for the upcoming shift to the "community" platform?

Seriously, IMO the entire URL structure functionality should be pulled out into a core section where you can craft a cohesive url scheme for the entire site without having to go diving into php edits for each and every app. That will then get stepped on next upgrade and TRASH your SERPS in the process.

Maybe the IP.SEO app should be expanded and made a core app so that all path/rout SEO url functionality can be handed over to it?

James

Those are definitely things you should post in the main feedback board so that it gets more attention. I agree on all points really. Custom URLs would be a pretty great move by IPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users