Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Run multiple sites from the same backend (suggestion)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

I would like to run multiple sites from one backend, be able to mix and match content, and show users to be logged in, once they log in on one of the sites.
With mix n match content I mean that I can choose which forums, which gallery categories, which IPC sections or which blog categories I show on which site.

This would not only allow me to easily create spin off sites, it would also allow me to keep my sites updated with 1 update.

I know that its possible to do a user login integration between with IP.Converge, but that doesn't go far enough.
  • dr. Jekyll, Nevo, Jinkler and 8 others like this

#2 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

• +Clients
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

I would love to see this as well but it would require you to sync all the database's and somehow make them connected and able to transfer data from one another with ease... Would take a lot of work I'd imagine however it would be pretty amazing and i would pay Top Dollar for it.
  • CallieJo likes this

Did you like my Post? Did I Help you anyway with the contents of my Post? Well Than...

Please say Thank you by Pressing the Button on the right side of the my Post:  gallery_146014_1635_618.png

#3 ADKGamers

ADKGamers

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

I believe the reason has been said before that this can't be done because of cookies and how each site handles them.

So I don't remember the exact reason, but I'm certain part of the big reason was because of the cookies.

adkgamers_1402891088__recruitban.png

#4 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

Cookies would be no problem at all. I have been using cookies for multiple domains for many years.
I'm certain that this can be done, as there are many sites already using such networks.
  • Nevo likes this

#5 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,686 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Alfa1 - can you clarify your last post? Cookies cannot be read across domains (they can be read across subdomains, but that's not what you were asking for I think). It's a security thing implemented by browsers, not something websites have any control over.
  • Nevo and Marcher Technologies like this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#6 CallieJo

CallieJo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Multi-domains is possible in other kinds of platforms. For example:
Wordpress is able to use multiple domain names. You park the added domain names onto the main domain. Then a bit of WP magic assigns the domain name to a blog (technically a sub-domain or folder). Add to the mix their BP and you have a place where everyone unites. As for moving content around, WP cannot do that at this time either.

I'd like to see profiles shared across several boards, at least. One profile for the entire network.
  • Nevo likes this

#7 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Alfa1 - can you clarify your last post? Cookies cannot be read across domains (they can be read across subdomains, but that's not what you were asking for I think). It's a security thing implemented by browsers, not something websites have any control over.

I've done this since 2005, by using a cookie cutter hack for this. You can have control over it. The creator of Vaultwiki made one such hacks 5 years ago. It still works fine. Search Google for "CES Cookie Cutter - Share Cookies Between Domains" to see how.

For example: your can have community.invisionpower.com and forum.ipb.com and share cookies between the two domains. Or even add more domains.

#8 CessPoolCleaner

CessPoolCleaner

Code GooRoo

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Being able to share the code would be nice the issue would be being able to have styling, hooks, apps yadda yadda configurable by 'dite' it would be a big headache.

What would help us multisite people is the IPS delivered stuff being able to update itself like Wordpress does without download/upload or the push system (which will still not do Nexus last time I checked).

JLogica .. has left the building .. Hope you all have a lovely and productive life.

#9 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,686 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

I've done this since 2005, by using a cookie cutter hack for this. You can have control over it. The creator of Vaultwiki made one such hacks 5 years ago. It still works fine. Search Google for "CES Cookie Cutter - Share Cookies Between Domains" to see how.

For example: your can have community.invisionpower.com and forum.ipb.com and share cookies between the two domains. Or even add more domains.

It appears to be a VB mod - I don't have access to it, as such.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#10 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Check your PM.

#11 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Being able to share the code would be nice the issue would be being able to have styling, hooks, apps yadda yadda configurable by 'dite' it would be a big headache.

Why would it be a big headache? Its complex, but doable. And the demand for this is huge.

#12 CessPoolCleaner

CessPoolCleaner

Code GooRoo

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Why would it be a big headache? Its complex, but doable. And the demand for this is huge.

Didn't say it wasn't 'doable'. But consider that Expression Engine has this and it costs quite a bit, I would not expect IPS to do all that dev for nix!

JLogica .. has left the building .. Hope you all have a lovely and productive life.

#13 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Considering that webmasters need 1 license per domain, its hardly for nothing. And even if it would be sold as a multisite edition, then there will also be a lot of demand.

#14 ADKGamers

ADKGamers

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 919 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

I would definitely purchase another license if something could be done. I was ready to purchase another license when I got a new domain, because I wanted to do something similar to that. . go thing I waited. haha

I think this would be a bigger demand than most would think, and I believe it would help IPB out as well.

adkgamers_1402891088__recruitban.png

#15 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

I know for certain that the demand for this is big. Simply looking at the response that such solutions on other platforms are getting, tells you a lot. Multi-site solutions are highly popular for forum software, and also in e-commerce software. And those who need this, are generally willing to pay for it if needed.
  • Jinkler, PrettyPixels, CallieJo and 3 others like this

#16 Jinkler

Jinkler

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

I asked for this a couple of years ago.

If there was a forum platform that did this out of the box then I'd switch platforms. It'd be such a massive boon. I've also tried looking for programmers to do this, but no joy there.
  • CallieJo and ADKGamers like this

TalkFord.com - Independent, Unbiased, Ford News, Reviews And Advice. Download The Free TF App - Apple ¦ Android

DaciaForum.co.uk - The UK's number 1 Dacia forum! Download The Free DF App - Apple ¦ Android

SmartWatchForum.com - Smart Watch Reviews, News and Forums. Which one will you buy? Download the Free SWF App - Android ¦ Apple Coming soon...

#17 valendono

valendono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

+1 looking for something like this.

Forum:
[N3] Nyit-Nyit.Net (IPB)

Any forum software settings, maintenances, tunnings, Hire me!

My Modifications:
IP.SEO Tag Custom (3.2.x, 3.3.x)
Indowebster Link Media tag (3.2.x, 3.3.x)
Indonesian 1.0 for IPBoard 3.3.x (Language Packs)

#18 Kyanar

Kyanar

Let's say my yearly license expired in...

• +Clients
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

I asked for this a couple of years ago.

If there was a forum platform that did this out of the box then I'd switch platforms. It'd be such a massive boon. I've also tried looking for programmers to do this, but no joy there.

There is one, but unfortunately that box isn't actually available >_< . Sounds like you're describing a feature of Stardock's forums - every Stardock forum has the same member base, and certain forums can be displayed on one of more of their installations. For example, forums.wincustomize.com and forums.stardock.com both display the WindowBlinds forum, and share the same posts and threads, etc. You still have to manually log into each, but they use the same credentials.
Mat / Fusion Digital Entertainment Limited
Our Website: http://www.fusiondigital.co.nz/
Our Forums: http://community.fusiondigital.co.nz/

Chronicle, the desktop time tracker for Windows • Fusion Menu, the leading navigation enhancement application for IP.Board • CommunityContact, the in development community newsletter application

#19 Positive

Positive

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Drupal offers this option too...

http://drupal.org/node/43816

#20 CessPoolCleaner

CessPoolCleaner

Code GooRoo

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

Expression Engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users