• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#1 jackflash

jackflash

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

First, let me say that we've purchased over 50 IPB licenses over the years. It's been great to see how the forum software has developed over the years since we started using it. . .from 2.1.7 to 3.3.1, IPB has proven time after time to be stable, reliable and rock solid. :smile:

Second, IPS support is top notch - there isn't another company out there that matches the quality of their work and service. :thumbsup:

Thirdly, the community here that supports each other with technical help and the people that offer both paid and free hooks/applications are superb. :wub:

With that being said though, IP Gallery is what has stopped us from further purchasing more IPB licenses. In fact, we've moved some of our current sites away from IPB to competing software.

The gallery is such an important part of a community and IP Gallery simply does not live up to a publishers or a users expectations. I'm not going to rehash here what's wrong with IP Gallery because it's been discussed over and over again.

It's obviously not economically in our best interests to leave a license "idle", purchase "redundant" software AND change everything around, but IP Gallery just doesn't cut it.

We've waited and waited for an improved version of IP Gallery, but had to move on. :sad:
  • Dll, 3DKiwi, yacenty and 13 others like this

Live from the Motor City

#2 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

I've only just begun to use it and am having a hard time with some of its..umm.."features".

Anyway IPS said they were focusing on board and content both of which have had two maintenance releases and board is approaching a second. My expectation is that gallery will be receiving plenty of attention within the next few months. I do hope that gallery is next on their schedule instead of blog. I know blog hasn't received much attention at all, but I don't think it really needs much improvement in comparison to the gallery problems.
  • Lase likes this

#3 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

Okay so what alternatives are there e.g. Vbulletin and what gallery or Zenforo and what gallery?

I'm not looking to change but I would be interested in seeing a better working gallery. About the best looking gallery system I've seen is piwigo. It's front end is much better than IP Gallery i.e. looks better and easier for people to view and or find what they want to see.

3DKiwi
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#4 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

I be interested if anyone could put together a decent low or even no cost ipcontent alternative front end for the gallery

#5 yacenty

yacenty

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I've only just begun to use it and am having a hard time with some of its..umm.."features".

Anyway IPS said they were focusing on board and content both of which have had two maintenance releases and board is approaching a second. My expectation is that gallery will be receiving plenty of attention within the next few months. I do hope that gallery is next on their schedule instead of blog. I know blog hasn't received much attention at all, but I don't think it really needs much improvement in comparison to the gallery problems.

latest usable version of gallery is 3.2 :) I do not remember but this is probably something like 1.5 years old and the feature list is completly outdated.
Our aim is to create own sw for our gallery if IPS can not prepare such addon for us. My gallery today is 170k pictures in 500 categories and 600k comments was done

http://www.agrofoto.pl - First Polish Agriculture Gallery

http://www.agromodele.pl - Agriculture Die-cast community

http://www.goprofc.com - GoPro Hero FanClub community

#6 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

The gallery is such an important part of a community and IP Gallery simply does not live up to a publishers or a users expectations. I'm not going to rehash here what's wrong with IP Gallery because it's been discussed over and over again.

If you're really expecting something to change with it, then you should be giving IPS some specifics. Lots of things have been mentioned in various topics, what is it about the current IP.Gallery that you have issues with?

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#7 svit

svit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I think Michael there have been numerous topics where users were listing their comments, requirements and ideas of how the gallery could be further improved and I am sure IP have analysed all of those comments and ideas and had internal brainstorming regarding which are frequent or logical and should be prioritized. I don't see point in requesting us to make some sort of similar list again.

#8 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Yes, I get that, and IPS knows there have been all of those topics (they do read them). What I'm saying is that simply restating that there are all these issues you have doesn't help at all. I don't make use of IP.Gallery, so I don't pay attention too much to the feedback folks give about it, but is there an actual consensus among members about what needs to change, or is it just a few dozen people people each giving their own opinions?

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#9 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Yes, I get that, and IPS knows there have been all of those topics (they do read them). What I'm saying is that simply restating that there are all these issues you have doesn't help at all. I don't make use of IP.Gallery, so I don't pay attention too much to the feedback folks give about it, but is there an actual consensus among members about what needs to change, or is it just a few dozen people people each giving their own opinions?

Well I've only just started using it so I'm in the same boat as you, but as I run into issues I post about them here. I know that everyone agrees upon how cover photos should work. Also everyone agrees on there being more admin control. For example members shouldn't be allowed to move their albums around however they want, we should be allowed to restrict member albums to certain container albums.

Also while I agree that the OP not stating his own personal gripes isn't very effective I think this is a special case. He's stating that he agrees with all the feedback that's been posted and is saying that as a customer who has purchased more than 50 licenses (I don't see why this is important but he seems to think it gives his argument more credibility) he's disappointed with the lack of attention gallery has received and is now looking for an alternate solution because of how IPS failed to put out.

#10 Michael R

Michael R

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I agree with Michael. As a former Product Manager for multiple software applications, I can tell you that the least useful feedback I would get on my products were those that provided little to no specifics. Not to imply that's what you are doing. I am just suggesting that you make it easier for them to implement changes and enhancements to the product by being more specific. Provide suggestions on how you or your users would expect a particular feature to work.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya
Blah Blah Blah
Ho Ho Ho

#11 THL

THL

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

One bugbear for me, members keep creating albums with no names "unnamed album" also theres a LOT thats empty, I'm sure there actually struggling with some of the steps to upload images..
  • Jinkler likes this

#12 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Gallery is the next product that will get a large update :)
  • AndyF, IPS_Fan, jackflash and 8 others like this

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com
IPS Twitter news feed: @invisionps

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

IPS 4 preview site ... Feel free to register your account now. We are approving several new accounts each day so, once you register, keep an eye out for activation email.

#13 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Gallery is the next product that will get a large update :smile:

Yay I was right. Thank you Charles.

#14 Zambooy

Zambooy

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

The importance of giving specifics in this thread has been duly noted so can you provide a time line for this attention to gallery and when something tangible will be available/released ? 1 month,2 months before IBP 4.0 ? Honestly, the gallery issue has been what has kept me on hold from upgrading.

#15 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

We always give specifics on new version developments in our company blog once we are ready to start revealing new information.

Charles Warner

IPS 4 preview site ... Feel free to register your account now. We are approving several new accounts each day so, once you register, keep an eye out for activation email.

#16 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

I hope this will be a massive overhaul implementing most of the customer feedback, and implementing novel technology.
  • 3DKiwi, Gerry 5039, Jinkler and 2 others like this

#17 yacenty

yacenty

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 819 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

4.0 also was a huge step, huge step but not in the future - it was step in back

http://www.agrofoto.pl - First Polish Agriculture Gallery

http://www.agromodele.pl - Agriculture Die-cast community

http://www.goprofc.com - GoPro Hero FanClub community

#18 Arus

Arus

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

No offense, but am I supposed to believe that? It's not the first time a dev said that. I don't know, ever since gallery 4 hit... my IPS experience has been less than satisfactory.

I haven't been able to upgrade my forum and rest of softwares because I am currently stuck with gallery 3.2. I did try test runs with a separate installtions to test galley 4.x series. The least you guys could have done is make gallery 3.2 compatible with rest of newer platform, but instead you shut some (or major) of gallery users out who wanted to keep using 3.2.

I've reviewd my licenses but probably won't the next time. The reason I moved from Vb was because of the gallery.

#19 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Yes you're supposed to believe that :)
  • AndyF, Tigratrus, Marcher Technologies and 1 other like this

Charles Warner

#20 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

To be fair, I totally understand the frustration many folks have experienced with the IP.G 4.x line.

But frustration in a product direction is no reason to imply IPS staff are anything less than truthful. They may often be unable to provide details (for very good reasons), and yes, they may sometimes have a design vision that doesn't match what everyone wants all the time. Frankly, it's impossible to accomplish that last. ;)

The one thing that makes IPS different than most web software companies/organizations I've been involved with is that they DO listen. And I don't think I've ever seen anyone from the IPS staff lie to the community. Not answering is not lying. And having an honest difference of opinion about ideal functionality is NOT the same thing as misrepresenting.

Do I think that IP.G needs some MAJOR changes? You bet. Am I sure that the coming changes will fix IP.G for the way my community wants to use it? Nope. But I'm pretty sure the copious threads in this forum have been read and a list of issues compiled from them. The one thing I'm totally sure of is that if Charles says IP.G is the next one to get dev focus, than that's exactly what they are working on as we post on this very topic. Given some of the great changes that have come in the latest versions of IP.Board and IP.C, I have reasonable hope that the next generation IP.G will be a sizable improvement. :)

I look forward to seeing what's coming in the next version.

James
  • bfarber likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users