111 replies to this topic

#21 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I hope that the functionality of the next version of IP.G will be superior enough to persuade me to switch from Photopost.

#22 jackflash

jackflash

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Gallery is the next product that will get a large update :smile:

That's so great to hear.

No offense, but am I supposed to believe that? It's not the first time a dev said that. I don't know, ever since gallery 4 hit... my IPS experience has been less than satisfactory.

I haven't been able to upgrade my forum and rest of softwares because I am currently stuck with gallery 3.2. I did try test runs with a separate installtions to test galley 4.x series. The least you guys could have done is make gallery 3.2 compatible with rest of newer platform, but instead you shut some (or major) of gallery users out who wanted to keep using 3.2.

I've reviewd my licenses but probably won't the next time. The reason I moved from Vb was because of the gallery.

I have always taken IPS at their word and believe that they will make changes to the gallery as numerous people have been asking.

Live from the Motor City

#23 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

That last blog entry was about Nexus, not Gallery. :(

#24 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

That last blog entry was about Nexus, not Gallery. :sad:

It's not like we're ONLY doing Gallery :)
  • jackflash likes this

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com
IPS Twitter news feed: @invisionps

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

IPS 4 preview site ... Feel free to register your account now. We are approving several new accounts each day so, once you register, keep an eye out for activation email.

#25 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

It's not like we're ONLY doing Gallery :)

So you guys are doing the mobile app, nexus, and gallery at the same time? That's pretty cool.

#26 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

So you guys are doing the mobile app, nexus, and gallery at the same time? That's pretty cool.

Different members of our staff do different things of course. We always have a few things going on at once. Right now Gallery and Nexus are getting large updates. IP.Board and the other apps are getting maintenance releases as needed.
  • jackflash, Aiwa, Tigratrus and 2 others like this

Charles Warner

IPS 4 preview site ... Feel free to register your account now. We are approving several new accounts each day so, once you register, keep an eye out for activation email.

#27 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,575 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

The mobile app developer only works on the mobile app - Objective C and Java are not the same as PHP, so we have a developer on board (Brett L) who is more specialized in that area.
  • Tigratrus likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#28 yacenty

yacenty

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

No offense, but am I supposed to believe that? It's not the first time a dev said that. I don't know, ever since gallery 4 hit... my IPS experience has been less than satisfactory.

I haven't been able to upgrade my forum and rest of softwares because I am currently stuck with gallery 3.2. I did try test runs with a separate installtions to test galley 4.x series. The least you guys could have done is make gallery 3.2 compatible with rest of newer platform, but instead you shut some (or major) of gallery users out who wanted to keep using 3.2.

I've reviewd my licenses but probably won't the next time. The reason I moved from Vb was because of the gallery.

you can easily run IPB 3.3 and gallery 3.2.2 - we are doing such thing on my sites.
My developer did some small changes in code to be compatible with newer version of core forum
  • Alfa1 likes this

http://www.agrofoto.pl - First Polish Agriculture Gallery

http://www.agromodele.pl - Agriculture Die-cast community

http://www.goprofc.com - GoPro Hero FanClub community

#29 jackflash

jackflash

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Several weeks, a few months. . .whatever it takes to make IP Gallery as great as IP Board. :wub:

Live from the Motor City

#30 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

you can easily run IPB 3.3 and gallery 3.2.2 - we are doing such thing on my sites.
My developer did some small changes in code to be compatible with newer version of core forum

Could you share the code changes? The state of IP.Gallery is a major obstacle preventing me to use IPS.

#31 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• +Clients
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Several weeks, a few months. . .whatever it takes to make IP Gallery as great as IP Board. :wub:

Different members of our staff do different things of course. We always have a few things going on at once. Right now Gallery and Nexus are getting large updates. IP.Board and the other apps are getting maintenance releases as needed.

I know IPS has to look at many thing to make everything work out but with all the feature strip and function shovel in to a sack and put out the door, the upgrade to just make it work with IPB 3.2 or so was a most lacking then what it was. Was that maybe not a development oversight from IPS design when the software is redone? This upgrade coming is adding the features back in that were taken out...but why go backwards when we should improve on it not strip it away?

#32 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

if you haven't got the manpower to keep all application development up to date then surely that's a major issue ?
can't you bring in freelancers or put stuff out for tender ?

#33 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

if you haven't got the manpower to keep all application development up to date then surely that's a major issue ?
can't you bring in freelancers or put stuff out for tender ?

Where did I say we didn't have the manpower?

Charles Warner

#34 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Where did I say we didn't have the manpower?

every time you say have to wait etc for development to finish on one application before expect further on others

#35 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

every time you say have to wait etc for development to finish on one application before expect further on others

That doesn't mean we have a manpower shortage :) ... that means we like to focus on things we are working on. Focus leads to better results. Right now we are focusing on Gallery and it will lead to good results.
  • IPS_Fan, Gerry 5039, jackflash and 6 others like this

Charles Warner

#36 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

That doesn't mean we have a manpower shortage :smile: ... that means we like to focus on things we are working on. Focus leads to better results. Right now we are focusing on Gallery and it will lead to good results.

And there was much rejoicing... Seriously. ;)

IP.G probably has the biggest bang for your buck atm in terms of how much better it could be/Dev hours invested.

IP.G has great potential as a synergistic part of the IPS platform esp if it's easier to use to make other content types BETTER by embedding (re)usable images/video etc. [insert plug for embedded content opening in a lightbox/highslide instead of navigating away from the content that is actually being viewed]

Specific areas that need improvement IMO based on what I've had come up trying to work on the migration of our legacy gallery to IP.G:

1. Better ability to browse the front end is essential, the current mishmash is a total fail for those using browse style.
2. Planning for how images can be searched for is pretty essential. ATM the search seems to NOT be designed for success as it only seems to look at comments?
3. An image uploader that resizes on the CLIENT end instead of the server would drastically improve the usability for members who either have a slower connection or have no clue how to resize images (a surprising large number of folks).
4. ADMIN control of gallery. Members should in no way be able to delete content without mod involvement if an Admin has set options specifying that deletion of images/albums is NOT allowed. Everyone understands that in the forums, I have no IDEA why members can bypass any admin set restrictions to delete ANYTHING they have uploaded into the gallery at any time. BAD. :sad:
5. Parent-Child relationship of Globals/sub globals should be inheritance based. Permissions on set on a parent Global should be inherited by sub globals/member albums unless they are specifically changed.
6. Managing albums needs to be be much improved. We should be able to merge/split albums like we can merge/split forums.

James
  • 3DKiwi, Camoo, TaffyCaffy and 2 others like this

#37 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

That doesn't mean we have a manpower shortage :smile: ... that means we like to focus on things we are working on. Focus leads to better results. Right now we are focusing on Gallery and it will lead to good results.

Charles
thanks for reply
I would say that the focus method does currently leave other applications wanting, while some are minor, surely makes sense to continually improve each product rather than large lengthy gaps between development

if you look at gallery there are now 4/5 month old outstanding bugs/omission's that range from show stopping uploads for ie8 users to minor but could be important to some - canonical urls
sure can and do end up sorting them out myself, but is it really good practice to leave such bugs/omission's in place for such a long time?

if you look at other apps then there's a fair few minor improvements that could be ongoing or as suggested tendered out
ipcontent - mobile skin, chat - improvements, intergration such as calendar - adding tags and profile tabs and so on

The focus method sound and reads great but once the focus has moved shouldn't work/improvements still carry on, not just stop as has been the case with gallery this year

#38 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Looking at the bug tracker and such is very misleading. When we are doing a larger, new release as we are with Gallery now you often will not see activity in the bug tracker.

Charles Warner

#39 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Looking at the bug tracker and such is very misleading. When we are doing a larger, new release as we are with Gallery now you often will not see activity in the bug tracker.

thanks again for the reply
was just taking the opportunity to pass on some concerns/suggestions etc
as been done, I will leave it at that now
thanks

#40 Ozpicious

Ozpicious

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

With that being said though, IP Gallery is what has stopped us from further purchasing more IPB licenses. In fact, we've moved some of our current sites away from IPB to competing software.

The gallery is such an important part of a community and IP Gallery simply does not live up to a publishers or a users expectations. I'm not going to rehash here what's wrong with IP Gallery because it's been discussed over and over again.

It's obviously not economically in our best interests to leave a license "idle", purchase "redundant" software AND change everything around, but IP Gallery just doesn't cut it.

Is a shame but for some reason the gallery went completely backwards and issues with it were completely ignored for numerous updates with plenty of us frustratedly reporting them over and over again at each update in the Tracker... I too have been holding off future purchases as much as possible due to the way the gallery went.

Fingers crossed for a gallery back on track in the next update casue it's been way too long for those of us who do use it extensively within our communities, and I don't really want to change over just becasue of the gallery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users