• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#41 csm

csm

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Personally I think there's some good suggestions above especially when it comes to image sizing.. but overall I gotta say Gallery for us has been a huge success, we got a lot of people that use it for sure, actually almost all the regulars. As it's just my opinion here as others have had a opportunity to state theirs, I hope IPB's not going to change flow and feel too much :smile:

#42 jackflash

jackflash

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

Is a shame but for some reason the gallery went completely backwards and issues with it were completely ignored for numerous updates with plenty of us frustratedly reporting them over and over again at each update in the Tracker... I too have been holding off future purchases as much as possible due to the way the gallery went.

Fingers crossed for a gallery back on track in the next update casue it's been way too long for those of us who do use it extensively within our communities, and I don't really want to change over just becasue of the gallery.

My sentiments exactly.

Live from the Motor City

#43 joelle

joelle

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

Okay so what alternatives are there e.g. Vbulletin and what gallery or Zenforo and what gallery?

I'm not looking to change but I would be interested in seeing a better working gallery. About the best looking gallery system I've seen is piwigo. It's front end is much better than IP Gallery i.e. looks better and easier for people to view and or find what they want to see.

3DKiwi

This looks like a gallery from the 90's, not really appealing to me. The 500px gallery seems to do a better job representing current web design.
  • svit likes this

#44 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

This looks like a gallery from the 90's, not really appealing to me. The 500px gallery seems to do a better job representing current web design.

agree
imo this is a great album list type layout
http://500px.com/Slowhand/sets
  • jackflash and svit like this

#45 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Thanks the 500px gallery looks a lot better than what we have with IP Gallery 4. No ridiculously small thumbnails.

3DKiwi
  • Gerry 5039, TaffyCaffy and Kirito like this
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#46 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Ireally like the xenforo image viewer, with mousewheel controls.I hope that IPG will offer similar modern html5 / jquery technology.
  • AlexJ likes this

#47 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

One thing I'd REALLY like to stress...

A lot of us do NOT want a gallery system that is designed around the idea of it being a PHOTOGRAPHY website. That's a big part of the problem I have with a lot of the various gallery systems out there. My membership could not care LESS about f stops, exposures etc. They want an EASY way to upload, share and reuse images of them and their projects that they can use in discussions on the forums, blogs etc.

They want to come to our site and be able to slice and dice the gallery to find examples of the kind of project they are looking to do so that they can see how different options LOOK. Having categorized images that are searchable and WELL DESCRIBED on the page is crucial to them being able to find relevant images and also greatly impacts the visibility in the search engines.

James
  • tenaki, 3DKiwi, lunchbox67 and 9 others like this

#48 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

A lot of us do NOT want a gallery system that is designed around the idea of it being a PHOTOGRAPHY website. That's a big part of the problem I have with a lot of the various gallery systems out there. My membership could not care LESS about f stops, exposures etc. They want an EASY way to upload, share and reuse images of them and their projects that they can use in discussions on the forums, blogs etc.

They want to come to our site and be able to slice and dice the gallery to find examples of the kind of project they are looking to do so that they can see how different options LOOK. Having categorized images that are searchable and WELL DESCRIBED on the page is crucial to them being able to find relevant images and also greatly impacts the visibility in the search engines.

James

Nicely said.

#49 TaffyCaffy

TaffyCaffy

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

A lot of us do NOT want a gallery system that is designed around the idea of it being a PHOTOGRAPHY website.

Indeed. I'll add another kicker to this. James wants more of a well categorized "display shelf" for images related to various projects that customers can easily navigate, and the current setup doesn't work well for him. For the site I'm currently working on, I need a gallery for display of...photography, and the current setup doesn't work well for me either. It's not a pretty picture for an app when two people wanting to use it in drastically different ways both have the same issues with it - if you go back a page and read James's post listing the things he'd like changed, you'll get my list of complaints as well.

IPS staff (especially Matt) - please don't take this as an angry whine. I truly enjoy using the suite and building stuffs with it. However, for me, Gallery sticks out like a sore thumb with both its visual style and the relative lack of administrative control over member base within the app when compared to the rest of the platform.

James's list of suggestions on the previous page is mine as well.
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

#50 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

A gallery should be the extension of the attachment system. Or the other way around. There should be optimal integration. Else its one system bolted on another. The same goes for IP.Downloads.
  • Rick L and DeltaHF like this

#51 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

A gallery should be the extension of the attachment system. Or the other way around. There should be optimal integration. Else its one system bolted on another. The same goes for IP.Downloads.

I would disagree as attachments are sometime not even support in gallery so that would be a bad idea. Attachments are for the forums not gallery.

#52 CheersnGears

CheersnGears

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

James

This.

We aren't a photography website per say, but we do use photography extensively in articles for new cars and coverage of automotive press events. I need a way to be able to easily upload from a mobile phone (Android).

One thing that consistently frustrates me right now: To upload from android, I can't use the flash uploader. I can switch to the standard uploader, but then I can't switch back without going in and editing my profile.

Another thing I would like to do is have shared albums. We collaborate on articles frequently and since there is often more than one photographer in geographically diverse locations, I end up having to change ownership of the album around as each person uploads their work.

#53 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

I would disagree as attachments are sometime not even support in gallery so that would be a bad idea. Attachments are for the forums not gallery.

Could you rephrase this? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

What I mean is that the IPS suite should be one fully integrated suite, instead of several products bolted on each other. If a member uploads an image in forum, blog or where-ever, the member should be able to re-use this again, in any part of the suite. There should be 1 attachment system, which includes images. Have two separate systems for forum images and gallery images is not logical.
Why do we need separate upload tools for separate parts of the same site? That is particularly unhandy when using mobile.
Why can't I display attachment images in my albums or select & move attachments to my albums? My site has 20.000 images in its attachment system. A good % of that are useful images that would fit in a gallery album..

What I am proposing is not an extension of how the attachment system behaves now. I'm proposing a partial overhaul.
  • Rick L and Tigratrus like this

#54 Hatsu

Hatsu

Forsaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

Click on My Media in the editor.

Not everybody wants pictures they posted in attachments in a gallery. Perhaps there should be an option to (bulk)move selected attachments to gallery.

But I wouldn't want that every picture is available in my gallery.

Attached Files

@gerdgrossmann

Posted Image

Want to track bugs in your projects?
The Tracker App
TracDown

#55 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Could you rephrase this? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

What I mean is that the IPS suite should be one fully integrated suite, instead of several products bolted on each other. If a member uploads an image in forum, blog or where-ever, the member should be able to re-use this again, in any part of the suite. There should be 1 attachment system, which includes images. Have two separate systems for forum images and gallery images is not logical.
Why do we need separate upload tools for separate parts of the same site? That is particularly unhandy when using mobile.
Why can't I display attachment images in my albums or select & move attachments to my albums? My site has 20.000 images in its attachment system. A good % of that are useful images that would fit in a gallery album..

What I am proposing is not an extension of how the attachment system behaves now. I'm proposing a partial overhaul.

The gallery does not support PDF files, word docs, etc. Things of this nature should stay on the IPS side as it is for attachments. Gallery is gallery. One is for posting in the forums one is for a different system. Car vs truck they both can drive but they have different jobs. Thus I think it be waste of time, I think the current set up is okay and like Hatsu said I don't want all my stuff in the gallery neither.

#56 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Click on My Media in the editor.

I have seen that. But there is no option to bulk move selected images from attachments to your albums. Such a feature would indeed be useful and this is what I suggest.
If I look at the images in my database, then out of 20.000 images, about half (10.000) are useful to display in a gallery. The other half is not useful
Similarly, I have loads of documents in my attachment system. Many of those would be very useful to have in my documents directory.

The gallery does not support PDF files, word docs, etc.

Off course not. Thats not what I am suggesting. Documents belong in a document gallery. Videos belong in a video gallery. Thats what IP.Downloads could be used for if the admin desires.
Its pretty easy to separate images from other files, based upon their file extensions. This makes the difference between a useless soup of different file types and an overview of images, overview of documents, overview of videos, in the system.

#57 Hatsu

Hatsu

Forsaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Its pretty easy to separate images from other files, based upon their file extensions. This makes the difference between a useless soup of different file types and an overview of images, overview of documents, overview of videos, in the system.

I agree on this. I think the current "My Media" option is a workaround and IPS will expand the functionality in future. At least I hope so :)
@gerdgrossmann

Posted Image

Want to track bugs in your projects?
The Tracker App
TracDown

#58 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Let's get the gallery working right first before looking at combining attachments and gallery images. The basic functionality is awful at the moment without further complicating matters.

3DKiwi
  • Ozpicious and TaffyCaffy like this
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#59 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

I have seen that. But there is no option to bulk move selected images from attachments to your albums. Such a feature would indeed be useful and this is what I suggest.
If I look at the images in my database, then out of 20.000 images, about half (10.000) are useful to display in a gallery. The other half is not useful
Similarly, I have loads of documents in my attachment system. Many of those would be very useful to have in my documents directory.

Off course not. Thats not what I am suggesting. Documents belong in a document gallery. Videos belong in a video gallery. Thats what IP.Downloads could be used for if the admin desires.

Attachment to the forums is stuff people want to speak about and not post in a gallery where they want to show off stuff. So thus I won't think it be good as the current setup work.

Let's get the gallery working right first before looking at combining attachments and gallery images. The basic functionality is awful at the moment without further complicating matters.

3DKiwi

That of course is number #1

#60 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

3DKiwi

rather than separate development for forum and gallery and all the other apps

if invision actually came up with a core upload/image handling engine that could be used for attachments, gallery and every other app
it could mean on the invision side less maintenance, less bugs, less work, less development
on the customer side members and admins would get a common and familar method of uploading across every part of site, less support and maintenance

a basic upload/image handling core engine - that all apps could easily hook into and use and extend if needed, why not?
  • Alfa1 and Tigratrus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users