21 replies to this topic

#1 The Hall Of Heroes

The Hall Of Heroes

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Please, I beg you.

Add personal user photo albums (in your profile). I'm starting up a new site and this is a must - I REALLY don't want to use vBulletin but I will have to because there is no way to have personal photo albums on your profile with Invision. I don't see why you guys dont have them.. vBulletin does and when I use their software I think i'm in the 1990s...

Are there any plans to add them?? If not.. why?

I think they would be a great addition to make the forums more personal.

Thanks
  • CallieJo and Lase like this

#2 Connor T

Connor T

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

what?

I'm confused. You can make personal albums as a user. This makes no sense.
Posted Image
Previously: iBotPeaches // .peaches

#3 The Hall Of Heroes

The Hall Of Heroes

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

what?

I'm confused. You can make personal albums as a user. This makes no sense.

What? Personal profile albums on the user's profile? I asked an IPB mod in a ticket if you can and he said no. How do you?

#4 Connor T

Connor T

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

O you can't make them in the profile. Only in the Gallery app.
Posted Image
Previously: iBotPeaches // .peaches

#5 The Hall Of Heroes

The Hall Of Heroes

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

:(

#6 Mikey B

Mikey B

Rinse & Repeat

• +Clients
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

When you have IP.Gallery installed, a profile tab is added which displays all of your albums. This is what you're asking for, from what I can see?

For example, see Matt's Profile: http://community.inv...e__tab__gallery
Michael Burton
Invision Power Services, Inc.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” ― Philip K. Dick, VALIS

#7 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 9,713 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

the vb one actually is pretty good from a user standpoint.
  • CallieJo likes this

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#8 The Hall Of Heroes

The Hall Of Heroes

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

When you have IP.Gallery installed, a profile tab is added which displays all of your albums. This is what you're asking for, from what I can see?

For example, see Matt's Profile: http://community.inv...e__tab__gallery

That's the idea for the profile at least. Basically what i'm looking for is the ability for members to create their own photo albums - viewable only in their profiles. They would edit the album and photos via their User CP. The same concept that vBulletin uses.
  • CallieJo likes this

#9 Mikey B

Mikey B

Rinse & Repeat

• +Clients
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

That's the idea for the profile at least. Basically what i'm looking for is the ability for members to create their own photo albums - viewable only in their profiles. They would edit the album and photos via their User CP. The same concept that vBulletin uses.

You can manage your Gallery from within your UserCP, including creating albums, and managing photos. From the create album screen you can upload photos. Please see the following image for where I mean:

Attached Files

Michael Burton

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” ― Philip K. Dick, VALIS

#10 The Hall Of Heroes

The Hall Of Heroes

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

You can manage your Gallery from within your UserCP, including creating albums, and managing photos. From the create album screen you can upload photos. Please see the following image for where I mean:

The create album button doesn't show up for me, my group has permission according to the ACP..

Attached Files

#11 Mikey B

Mikey B

Rinse & Repeat

• +Clients
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

The screenshot I've posted is from a default install where the Gallery install is pretty much unmodified in terms of settings.

Are you sure that the following setting is enabled: Member Groups > Manage Member Groups > Administrators > Gallery (Tab) > Album Permissions > Can create albums?
Michael Burton

#12 The Hall Of Heroes

The Hall Of Heroes

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

The screenshot I've posted is from a default install where the Gallery install is pretty much unmodified in terms of settings.

Are you sure that the following setting is enabled: Member Groups > Manage Member Groups > Administrators > Gallery (Tab) > Album Permissions > Can create albums?

Yes, that's enabled. I tried to re-install the application and it's still not showing up. Now that i've re-installed it though, it doesn't show up in the "Other Apps" tab on my ACP.
  • TTG_Vis likes this

#13 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yes, that's enabled. I tried to re-install the application and it's still not showing up. Now that i've re-installed it though, it doesn't show up in the "Other Apps" tab on my ACP.

Are the templates being imported?

#14 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 9,713 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

this is apples and oranges, to see how vb does it you really need to to utilize a vb setup.
their profile albums are really a mini-gallery, and the privacy seems to be a bit better as its not a board wide setup.
its hard for me to explain buts it slike that particular gallery is a subset of the member profile itself.
  • CallieJo likes this

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#15 CallieJo

CallieJo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

To really get a feel for what the OP is asking here, I thought it would be good to offer some screenshots and comparison to help define what the OP might be suggesting.

In VB, the use of personal albums is totally different than in IPB.
  • You manage & view your albums from your profile.
  • Here you add an album and permissions for the album:
    Attached File  1.gif   17.28KB   30 downloads
    Public - Album will be viewable by all visitors
    Private - Only visible to contacts and moderators
    Profile - Pictures used to modify your profile style (Awesome feature!)
  • Here you view your albums:
    Attached File  2.gif   60.05KB   36 downloads
  • Here you view inside an album (notice the end user's menu of options as well):
    Attached File  3.gif   57.23KB   32 downloads
  • Here you edit an album:
    Attached File  4.gif   20.7KB   28 downloads
  • And here is the albums showcased in your profile:
    Attached File  5.gif   25.78KB   30 downloads
Looking at it from an end user's point of view, VB is more end user friendly when it comes to personal albums. It keeps all the user's albums in their profile with good available permissions and the ability to manage their albums all right there. It's quite simple...even for my mother who is not tech-savvy. The only downside to VB's is the lack of notification on comments (seems like several platforms, including IPB, have things they can improve upon when it comes to notifications of comments).

Looking at it from a community perspective where the sharing of graphics/photos is a community effort, IP.Gallery is more viable. VB does not currently have a decent global gallery. Here is what I see when I click on the gallery in VB:
Attached File  6.gif   88.25KB   27 downloads
Not anyway near as viable as IP.Gallery for a community to globally share graphics/photos.

I would suggest that the handling of end user's personal albums be handled differently than global albums. Similar to that of VB's (it's not copying...it's just as similar to that of other platforms as well!). Personal albums should be utilized inside the profiles for their personal benefit and to showcase to their friends they've added. So maybe the member albums shouldn't be so prominant (admin option) in the gallery. I'd rather not have them showcased in the gallery at all, but rather only available inside the profiles. Others would disagree (admin option!).

Obviously, we can see gallery content in our profiles already. But, I don't think it's on the same level as what is being requested here.
  • 3DKiwi, Alfa1, TaffyCaffy and 2 others like this

#16 The Hall Of Heroes

The Hall Of Heroes

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

^ Exactly what i'm talking about. I also suggest that IPB incorporate personal albums different from the gallery.
  • CallieJo and Lase like this

#17 CallieJo

CallieJo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Can we please get this moved to IP.Gallery forum?

Thanks so much.

#18 Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook

\IPS\Convert::i()->run();

• IPS Staff
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Moved.

Ryan Ashbrook - @ryanashbrook
Saving the world. One IP.Board at a time.

Please do not PM for support, but feel free to use our Client Area for questions.

#19 joelle

joelle

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

You manage & view your albums from your profile.

Seems like a good idea.

#20 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I never enjoyed profile gallery stuff. Always felt very stiff and admins never allowed for large displaying and file sizes. Having a dedicated gallery seems to show the admin is willing to put effort into the image part of the site.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something." - Woodrow Wilson
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - Orlando A. Battista
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users