Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Invisionpower STAFF PLEASE consider this

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Please, I beg you.

Add personal user photo albums (in your profile). I'm starting up a new site and this is a must - I REALLY don't want to use vBulletin but I will have to because there is no way to have personal photo albums on your profile with Invision. I don't see why you guys dont have them.. vBulletin does and when I use their software I think i'm in the 1990s...

Are there any plans to add them?? If not.. why?

I think they would be a great addition to make the forums more personal.

Thanks

Lase and CallieJo like this

Posted

what?

I'm confused. You can make personal albums as a user. This makes no sense.

Posted

[quote name='Connor T' timestamp='1335711161' post='2260806']
what?

I'm confused. You can make personal albums as a user. This makes no sense.

What? Personal profile albums on the user's profile? I asked an IPB mod in a ticket if you can and he said no. How do you?

Posted

O you can't make them in the profile. Only in the Gallery app.

Posted

:(

Posted

When you have IP.Gallery installed, a profile tab is added which displays all of your albums. This is what you're asking for, from what I can see?

For example, see Matt's Profile: http://community.invisionpower.com/user/62-matt/page__tab__gallery

Posted

the vb one actually is pretty good from a user standpoint.

CallieJo likes this

Posted

[quote name='Mikey B' timestamp='1335716020' post='2260829']
When you have IP.Gallery installed, a profile tab is added which displays all of your albums. This is what you're asking for, from what I can see?

For example, see Matt's Profile: http://community.inv...e__tab__gallery

That's the idea for the profile at least. Basically what i'm looking for is the ability for members to create their own photo albums - viewable only in their profiles. They would edit the album and photos via their User CP. The same concept that vBulletin uses.

CallieJo likes this

Posted

[quote name='topper.' timestamp='1335723919' post='2260861']
That's the idea for the profile at least. Basically what i'm looking for is the ability for members to create their own photo albums - viewable only in their profiles. They would edit the album and photos via their User CP. The same concept that vBulletin uses.

You can manage your Gallery from within your UserCP, including creating albums, and managing photos. From the create album screen you can upload photos. Please see the following image for where I mean:

Posted

[quote name='Mikey B' timestamp='1335724565' post='2260866']
You can manage your Gallery from within your UserCP, including creating albums, and managing photos. From the create album screen you can upload photos. Please see the following image for where I mean:

The create album button doesn't show up for me, my group has permission according to the ACP..

Posted

The screenshot I've posted is from a default install where the Gallery install is pretty much unmodified in terms of settings.

Are you sure that the following setting is enabled: Member Groups > Manage Member Groups > Administrators > Gallery (Tab) > Album Permissions > Can create albums?

Posted

[quote name='Mikey B' timestamp='1335728177' post='2260882']
The screenshot I've posted is from a default install where the Gallery install is pretty much unmodified in terms of settings.

Are you sure that the following setting is enabled: Member Groups > Manage Member Groups > Administrators > Gallery (Tab) > Album Permissions > Can create albums?

Yes, that's enabled. I tried to re-install the application and it's still not showing up. Now that i've re-installed it though, it doesn't show up in the "Other Apps" tab on my ACP.

TTG_Vis likes this

Posted

[quote name='topper.' timestamp='1335730076' post='2260887']
Yes, that's enabled. I tried to re-install the application and it's still not showing up. Now that i've re-installed it though, it doesn't show up in the "Other Apps" tab on my ACP.

Posted

this is apples and oranges, to see how vb does it you really need to to utilize a vb setup.
their profile albums are really a mini-gallery, and the privacy seems to be a bit better as its not a board wide setup.
its hard for me to explain buts it slike that particular gallery is a subset of the member profile itself.

CallieJo likes this

Posted

To really get a feel for what the OP is asking here, I thought it would be good to offer some screenshots and comparison to help define what the OP might be suggesting.

In VB, the use of personal albums is totally different than in IPB.

[*]Here you add an album and permissions for the album: Public - Album will be viewable by all visitors Private - Only visible to contacts and moderators Profile - Pictures used to modify your profile style (Awesome feature!) [*]Here you view your albums: [*]Here you view inside an album (notice the end user's menu of options as well): [*]Here you edit an album: [*]And here is the albums showcased in your profile:
Looking at it from an end user's point of view, VB is more end user friendly when it comes to personal albums. It keeps all the user's albums in their profile with good available permissions and the ability to manage their albums all right there. It's quite simple...even for my mother who is not tech-savvy. The only downside to VB's is the lack of notification on comments (seems like several platforms, including IPB, have things they can improve upon when it comes to notifications of comments).

Looking at it from a community perspective where the sharing of graphics/photos is a community effort, IP.Gallery is more viable. VB does not currently have a decent global gallery. Here is what I see when I click on the gallery in VB:
post-189352-0-34496000-1335814673_thumb.
Not anyway near as viable as IP.Gallery for a community to globally share graphics/photos.

I would suggest that the handling of end user's personal albums be handled differently than global albums. Similar to that of VB's (it's not copying...it's just as similar to that of other platforms as well!). Personal albums should be utilized inside the profiles for their personal benefit and to showcase to their friends they've added. So maybe the member albums shouldn't be so prominant (admin option) in the gallery. I'd rather not have them showcased in the gallery at all, but rather only available inside the profiles. Others would disagree (admin option!).

Obviously, we can see gallery content in our profiles already. But, I don't think it's on the same level as what is being requested here.

[*]You manage & view your albums from your profile.

post-189352-0-28025500-1335813476_thumb.

post-189352-0-53977500-1335813789_thumb.

post-189352-0-75433100-1335813830_thumb.

post-189352-0-76566700-1335813851_thumb.

post-189352-0-21222500-1335814077_thumb.
Alfa1, Lase, 3DKiwi and 2 others like this

Posted

^ Exactly what i'm talking about. I also suggest that IPB incorporate personal albums different from the gallery.

CallieJo and Lase like this

Posted

Can we please get this moved to IP.Gallery forum?

Thanks so much.

Posted

Seems like a good idea.

You manage & view your albums from your profile.

Posted

I never enjoyed profile gallery stuff. Always felt very stiff and admins never allowed for large displaying and file sizes. Having a dedicated gallery seems to show the admin is willing to put effort into the image part of the site.

Posted

Can this be locked please, for some unknown reason I can't edit my own first post. SInce I can't i'm going to make a new topic that goes into more depth on this.

Posted

[quote name='topper.' timestamp='1341536486' post='2284020']
Can this be locked please, for some unknown reason I can't edit my own first post.

There is a time limit for editing.