Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Gallery and IPContent are not happy bedfellows!

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Just last week I upgraded from the old suite based around 3.1.4 to the latest versions of the Invision products, including IPContent, Gallery and Nexus. Big, big, big mistake.

A major problem for me is that every custom IP content block I created that linked to the old gallery is now defunct. They changed the URL's for Gallery. I have over 100 custom blocks pulling images from dozens of different galleries that need to be manually updated to point to the new album ID. Nice one, Invision.

Another major problem I have with IP content now is that previously my basic template was capable of parsing both bbcode and HTML, so I went and created a massive amount of pages where I am using a Facebook Like button in HTML and bbcode for the rest of the page content. Now I have to go and manually edit all my pages to remove the HTML code. Another ace, Invision.

My final gripe is that now I want to go and re-edit all those custom blocks to find the correct album for them and when I go through the wizard to select the album, instead of seeing any kind of logical tree structure, I see the equivalent of the hog's lunch - masses of albums with no apparent sorting.

How can you pass this slop off as being an upgrade? Seriously?

Posted

The price of advancement. I hardly think you can blame IPS for your custom modifications not being compatible across not 1 but 2 major releases.

Posted

They are not custom modifications. They are plain old vanilla flavoured Blocks that were built using IPContent.

I have made not a single custom modification to the way any of the Invision products work on my website. That would invalidate my license.

Posted

[quote name='Gearnik' timestamp='1335890360' post='2261579']
They are not custom modifications. They are plain old vanilla flavoured Blocks that were built using IPContent.

I have made not a single custom modification to the way any of the Invision products work on my website. That would invalidate my license.

Posted

[quote name='Gearnik' timestamp='1335890360' post='2261579']

double-facepalm.jpg
First of all, modifying skin templates is not invalidating your license.
Secondly, Content is a big toolbox of customizing templates, I know for a fact those "Stock" templates as you call them you customized, cause until 2.3, there was no legitimate gallery stock block template.

TaffyCaffy and Aiwa like this

Posted

Because they changed the albums table in Gallery, so all old albums got new ID's. Sorry for the blocks that were mapped to pull data from them.

Posted

Custom modifications do not invalidate your license... They may restrict the support ability, though...

Blocks are still custom... Along with advancement comes changes to the DB structure. So your block may not be referencing the right location in the DB, etc....

Things break over major versions and need tweaking to work again.. You can't blame IPS for advancing their product.

Posted

How do you call breaking something that worked perfectly "advancing" it?

Surely the purpose of Invision's software is to help build better communities online, not tear down the houses that they were built on initially?

Posted

It also doesn't excuse the sloppy mess that appears in the block wizard when you want to pull data from Gallery.

And what about not parsing both HTML and bbcode together when it did so before? Is that advancement too?

Posted

[quote name='Gearnik' timestamp='1335890800' post='2261592']

Surely the purpose of Invision's software is to help build better communities online, not tear down the houses that they were built on initially?

You're missing the big picture.... When advancement is made to a product, it sometimes means it's not compatible with older versions of software or code... Try running Office 2012 on a WIndows 3.1 OS... See if that works for you...

Posted

[quote name='Gearnik' timestamp='1335890800' post='2261592']

Not going further, gallery is the can of worms here, not content.... and that's a BIG old can at the moment, changing a couple of lines of code in now re-usable block templates is easily handled.

Posted

[quote name='Gearnik' timestamp='1335890918' post='2261594']
It also doesn't excuse the sloppy mess that appears in the block wizard when you want to pull data from Gallery.

And what about not parsing both HTML and bbcode together when it did so before? Is that advancement too?

1: report as bug, as it makes it unusable.
2: do you mix PHP/HTML? all I have ever had any BBCODE/WYSIWYG do to code is mangle it, ever, even in that version it mangled it, so I don't see the issue.... better to not allow it than have the whole page/template corrupted on edit IMHO.

Posted

Look guys, I made the move to IPB from SMF just over a year ago. Are you telling me that in that time things changed so dramatically that it now requires huge effort on my part to bring my content (built on the version I bought just last year) up to speed on the new stuff? I don't buy that. I'm mad as hell because I specifically asked about URLs before I agreed to the upgrade and was told that nothing had changed.

The only reason I upgraded in the first place was because every issue I was having with Nexus was being blamed on the fact that I was still on an older version and that upgrading to the new Nexus would require upgrading everything.

Marcher, I had bbcode on all my pages and was using the Facebook like button code, which now doesn't parse at all on the same templates. For some reason the social media buttons found on the forum and Gallery are not found in content, which seems like a major oversight to me.

Posted

[quote name='Gearnik' timestamp='1335891488' post='2261598']
Look guys, I made the move to IPB from SMF just over a year ago. Are you telling me that in that time things changed so dramatically that it now requires huge effort on my part to bring my content (built on the version I bought just last year) up to speed on the new stuff? I don't buy that. I'm mad as hell because I specifically asked about URLs before I agreed to the upgrade and was told that nothing had changed.

The only reason I upgraded in the first place was because every issue I was having with Nexus was being blamed on the fact that I was still on an older version and that upgrading to the new Nexus would require upgrading everything.

Marcher, I had bbcode on all my pages and was using the Facebook like button code, which now doesn't parse at all on the same templates. For some reason the social media buttons found on the forum and Gallery are not found in content, which seems like a major oversight to me.

Yes they are.... and if you must have them on a page with no database, is a trifle to implement with a block.
want your images?

done, there's your image.
What you are saying(expecting to go from 3.1.4->3.3.1 with 0 url changes is like saying an upgrade from 2.3.6 wouldn't rock the boat.
3.1.4-> Is a Massive difference in functionality, style and url's for some apps.

{$this->registry->getClass('gallery')->helper('image')->makeImageTag($r)}

Aiwa likes this

Posted

I was ignored...

Posted

HTML and BBCode together... I'm sure IPS has switched editors to one that is more powerful... So just because an editor can't do the one specific thing you want doesn't mean it hasn't had advancements in other areas..

Shigure asked before.... Instead of complaining, how about you post up some of your code and get assistance / direction in getting your blocks and / or anything else broken fixed.

Posted

[quote name='Shigure' timestamp='1335891819' post='2261604']
I was ignored...

Sorry, I missed that reply in the flood...

The template below is for the block on this page: http://nikongear.com/live/index.php?/page/nikon_lenses/primes/50mm_f1.4G_AF-S_Nikkor

It used to pull images from the gallery album for that particular lens, but now it doesn't work because I have to physically go and change the block in the wizard and find the right album (amongst hundreds of unorganised albums, hence my other gripe). I also have to change the URL in my template for every page I have made since last year.

There may be an easy way to fix this, but I am not a coder. I'm just a guy who builds content with the tools at his disposal.

<div id="insight_box">

<div align="center"><b>Photos From This Lens</b><br><br>

<ul>

<if test="is_array( $records ) && count( $records )">

<foreach loop="$records as $r">

<li>

<a href='{$r['url']}' rel='bookmark' title='{$r['title']}' border='10'>{$r['thumbnail']}</a><br>

<span style="font-size:8pt;">Uploaded by: {$r['members_display_name']}</span>

<br><br>

</li>

</foreach>

</if>

</ul>

<a href="http://nikongear.com/live/index.php?/gallery/category/40-nikon-50mm-f14g-af-s/"><b>See more samples</b></a><br>

<a href="http://nikongear.com/live/index.php?app=gallery&module=post&section=image&cat=40">Add your own sample</a>

</div>

</div>

<br />

Posted

I meant the templates that aren't working..

[quote name='Gearnik' timestamp='1335892502' post='2261615']
There may be an easy way to fix this, but I am not a coder. I'm just a guy who builds content with the tools at his disposal.

Posted

Well, that one isn't working. It's pulling the images from the wrong place.

I also have invalid links to all the old albums on this page now: http://nikongear.com/live/index.php?/page/nikon_lenses

This isn't trivial for me to fix.

Posted

First. Templates have all kinds of resources.. Look at the template help...

Use {parse url="part of the link after index.php?" base="public"}

The fewer bits that you hardcode, the less you'll have to worry about because it will pull what you need based on your settings or the template variables.

Posted

[quote name='Shigure' timestamp='1335892641' post='2261618']
I meant the templates that aren't working..

That's fine. That's why this board exists.

Those are:

<a href="{parse url="app=gallery&module=albums&section=album&album=40" base="public"}"><b>See more samples</b></a><br>

<a href="{parse url="app=gallery&module=post&section=image&album_id=40" base="public"}">Add your own sample</a>

Posted

Maybe the upgrade messed up the filter options on your block? In which case that's a bug.

Also your template has hardcoded URLs...you shouldn't be doing that, so that's the real problem here.

Posted

So was that three posts in a row within two minutes of each other that all agreed on the same thing about hardcoded URLs? :P

Marcher Technologies and Aiwa like this

Posted

How would I use that for future urls I put onto pages? Sorry, my brain is on overload atm, so learning new stuff requires a literal example for me.