4 replies to this topic

#1 DarkOne_SSC

DarkOne_SSC

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi Everyone

I will hopefully be upgrading my website soon, the main reason for it is because I currently use four different pieces of software with bridges and such to communicate. So mainly I'm looking for one solution that gets rid of the high maintainance of users and software bridges (what a mess). It seems like IPBoard is tightly integrated and even includes some social components to it. So on with the questions...

1. I am interested in IP.Content and want to make sure this can replace WordPress for the most part? And will I be able to import articles, comments, pics into IP.Content without loosing anything major? Not worried about the users because that will come from the PHPBB migration.
2. In WordPress I currently have like a rotating article banner that scrolls through the stories by showing the title/descr and a image, does IP.Content have this type of functionality?
3. During the migration of data between PHPBB and IPBoard I have read that passwords are not brought over. That is fine, what happens after that? Will the user be sent some sort of email or passwords be randomly generated and the user sent something to reset when they login again?
4. In IP.Downloads, is there anything done to the file or file name when imported or uploaded? Because I know PHPBB changes the names of the files and I wanted to keep the file structure the way I have it now. Basically if you upload a file called test.txt if you look on the server in that directory you should see test.txt and not something else.
5. On the renewel system for every 6mos. What happens if you skip a year and want to then restart the renewel process can you or do you have to buy the whole suite all over again?
6. Is there any tweaks or special settings I would need to do to have this work on GoDaddy hosting? I ran that script to have it check the server for compatibility and all green, I had to enable Zend on my server.
7. I have a few custom bbcodes in WordPress and PHPBB, what happens to them and could I prep a post with certain tags in IPBoard to have similar functionality working after conversion?
8. Last question, I really want to try to improve data flow and not missing posts or articles, blogs etc.. What does IPBoard have in place that will make it easy to not miss things like new posts, articles and blogs? Is it possible to have an article reposted to the forums?

Thanks for your time and I did look at the converting tools and they look like they cover a decent amount of the content in both WordPress and PHPBB. I have read that we can use a copy locally for testing so that will help out greatly.

-D1-

#2 Grumpy

Grumpy

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

Skipping questions I don't know. :P

5. If you want to renew later, you can renew later. Simply while you have expired license status, you do not have access to the "premium" features. Such as IPB backed spam control, support, etc. Your forums will run fine. If you renew later, the premium features will be avl again and you will have access to updates.

6. Generally no. You shouldn't need to modify default hosting settings. Are you planning to use nexus? It requires ioncube. I don't know what IPB would ask Zend for... but I don't know everything about IPB. Just a user... But, if you want a piece of advice on a tangent of the main question... godaddy hosting really sucks. You should get it elsewhere... You'll thank me later. Wait, I guess you won't find out the nightmares if you don't stay. :P I've worked with many hosting companies as part of my profession.

8. You can have a post in the forums reposted as an article. :P And you can "follow" things (like subscribe) as well as keep up with "My Contents" that shows everywhere you posted. That should keep you on top of all your things. These features exist for all parts of IP suite.

#3 IXNet

IXNet

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

6. Is there any tweaks or special settings I would need to do to have this work on GoDaddy hosting? I ran that script to have it check the server for compatibility and all green, I had to enable Zend on my server.

No you only paid renewing few :)

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,561 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

1. I am interested in IP.Content and want to make sure this can replace WordPress for the most part? And will I be able to import articles, comments, pics into IP.Content without loosing anything major? Not worried about the users because that will come from the PHPBB migration.

According to our Conversions page, Wordpress articles, categories, comments and pages can be converted to IP.Content. I'm not positive about pictures (are you just linking offsite? if so there is no conversion needed for them), but you can always email conversions@invisionpower.com to confirm.

2. In WordPress I currently have like a rotating article banner that scrolls through the stories by showing the title/descr and a image, does IP.Content have this type of functionality?

Yes and no. IP.Content is like a toolkit allowing you to build whatever you want. There is a feature we refer to as "Blocks" which allow you to create blocks of content to place anywhere on your page. Gallery blocks have a special template available that is exactly what you are talking about (a scroller javascript snippet), but this special template will only work with Gallery images at present. You could, however, duplicate this block template and make it available to article feeds, just changing a few of the variables in the template (to point to the right data, since articles will have different field names compared to Gallery images). I'm positive if you posted in the peer help forum, someone could tell you exactly what you would need to change, although I will say I expect it would be trivial.

3. During the migration of data between PHPBB and IPBoard I have read that passwords are not brought over. That is fine, what happens after that? Will the user be sent some sort of email or passwords be randomly generated and the user sent something to reset when they login again?

Passwords themselves cannot be converted, however the old phpbb passwords are retained and when users log in, IP.Board will silently convert them as needed. Essentially, we recreate the phpbb password verification process, so when the user logs in, if that process indicates the login was successful, we know the password was correct (and have a copy as the user just submitted it), so we re-encode it to match the IP.Board hashing algorithm. Long story short - the users will be able to continue to login with their existing passwords without having to reset them.

4. In IP.Downloads, is there anything done to the file or file name when imported or uploaded? Because I know PHPBB changes the names of the files and I wanted to keep the file structure the way I have it now. Basically if you upload a file called test.txt if you look on the server in that directory you should see test.txt and not something else.

IP.Downloads does rename the file, however it keeps the original file name (minus any "bad" characters) at the end. So "test.txt" might become "973kh23khk23h5o2u3o2lh35-test.txt". This is to prevent two files with the same name from overwriting each other.

5. On the renewel system for every 6mos. What happens if you skip a year and want to then restart the renewel process can you or do you have to buy the whole suite all over again?

That is perfectly fine. While your license is inactive, you cannot obtain technical support, access to new releases, or access to value-add services (such as the spam service, IP.Chat - unless you have purchased a separate license for that, etc.). You can renew at any time for $25 and pick right up where you left off.

There is nothing specific to GoDaddy as far as I am aware. Zend is not required for our software - IP.Nexus is available both Zend-encoded and ioncube-encoded (so Zend would be required if you wished to use the Zend-encoded release of IP.Nexus), but IP.Board does not require Zend.

7. I have a few custom bbcodes in WordPress and PHPBB, what happens to them and could I prep a post with certain tags in IPBoard to have similar functionality working after conversion?

IP.Board supports custom bbcodes. I don't believe your existing ones will be converted over, however you can probably find replacements in our marketplace, or create your own right in the ACP if they are simple "replace x with y" type bbcodes.

8. Last question, I really want to try to improve data flow and not missing posts or articles, blogs etc.. What does IPBoard have in place that will make it easy to not miss things like new posts, articles and blogs? Is it possible to have an article reposted to the forums?

IP.Content and IP.Downloads supports posting content to the forums automatically during submission. With IP.Blog what you can do (and we do that here actually) is simply use the RSS Import feature in IP.Board to import the IP.Blog RSS feed into the forums, effectively posting a topic when a new blog entry is published. Additionally, IP.Board features a powerful "View New Content" page that can show you all of the new content across all supported applications right in one place without cross-posting anything. There are many filters in here to tailor the results to your liking. There is also a page where you can view updates on content you follow, and where you can view updates on your own content.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#5 IXNet

IXNet

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

No you only paid renewing few :smile:

oups i mean #5 not #6 :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic