8 replies to this topic

#1 chilihead

chilihead

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

For sites that have different types of article writers, we need field sets.

Ex:

Custom Field Set > Automobiles > Fields

Custom Field Set > Software > Fields

This allows us to write different articles with relevant custom fields. Then you offer a dropdown selector to the article writer to load the fields he/she needs, and use permissions to allow/deny.

For forum posting, it would also be necessary to be able to choose the forum they post to, as one type of article is not going to be posted in the same forum as another.

Thanks

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,411 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

What some have requested, that I think would accomplish this, is per-category fields. Would that work for your purposes?
  • chilihead likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 chilihead

chilihead

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yes, but sets are needed in order to assign a set of fields to multiple categories and keep it organized.

If I have 100 car categories, as in Ford, Chevy etc. I should be able to apply the "Auto" Field Set, and not have to create fields for 100 categories. Also two categories means 100 fields in the db, not 200. Need one just for Chevy? Create a Chevy set. But per-category without sets is really messy.

So you create sets first. Then when adding a category, you would select the appropriate Field Set (instead of like I said, in post creation). That seems like the best solution then the poster is not confused, it is already set when he/she selects a category.

But also the forum it posts to would need to be adjustable. So car articles post to car forums, etc. This would be good as a category setting, one catch-all forum is not good enough anymore.

Thanks

(An old product for vB called GARS used to work this way and it was great for article writers.)

#4 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

What some have requested, that I think would accomplish this, is per-category fields. Would that work for your purposes?

Oooh I want this so bad.
  • chilihead likes this

#5 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,411 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

You can already assign different forums to different categories chilihead. That's been possible since databases were first introduced (as I recall at least). :)

I'm not convinced "sets" are really needed. I could create, say, 100 fields. I create category "Ford", and assign 80 of the fields to it. I create "Chevy" and assign the same 80 fields. I create "Airplanes" and assign the other 20 fields. It would still only be 100 fields in the database, you just would select them individually per category, instead of as a "set". I can understand how it might simplify assignments when creating a category, but I think on the whole many users would probably find it to be a confusing and unnecessary step. :unsure:
  • chilihead and m3rk0rd like this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#6 chilihead

chilihead

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

You can already assign different forums to different categories chilihead. That's been possible since databases were first introduced (as I recall at least). :smile:

I forgot this! Thanks

I'm not convinced "sets" are really needed. I could create, say, 100 fields. I create category "Ford", and assign 80 of the fields to it. I create "Chevy" and assign the same 80 fields. I create "Airplanes" and assign the other 20 fields. It would still only be 100 fields in the database, you just would select them individually per category, instead of as a "set". I can understand how it might simplify assignments when creating a category, but I think on the whole many users would probably find it to be a confusing and unnecessary step. :unsure:

We are on the same page. Assigning fields sounds good I thought you were saying fields would have to be created in categories, not assigned, so if they can be assigned and no duplicates need to be created, great!

Looking forward to this! Do you have any timeline?

#7 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,411 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

No, nor have I confirmed this feature in any way just to be clear. :) I was just discussing what you were asking for with relation to another suggestion I've seen come up and that has been considered to verify if it would satisfy your requirements.
  • chilihead and Marcher Technologies like this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#8 chilihead

chilihead

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yes it would, thanks. I've been waiting for the ability to add another set of article writers for a totally different subject, but can't yet. I have over 20 fields that are not related at all and to add more and have each set of writers ignore the other fields is too confusing. In fact, they can't, some are required.

#9 chilihead

chilihead

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Also please add the ability to use a different article view templates per category. It would go hand in hand with this as I would not be able to use the current one with totally different fields etc.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users