4 replies to this topic

#1 Kurisu87

Kurisu87

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Has anybody got any good robots.txt tips to share? I have set up my forum with google webmaster tools ect ect and need a robots.txt (not just for google as apparently it doesnt listen) but to stop bots from bombing the sites pages? Or would someone be willing to share theirs with me as a template :)
  • Con and symbian07 like this

#2 Creaky

Creaky

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

There's a robots.txt file in the board download, I use that and works well for me.
  • Kurisu87 likes this

#3 IPS_Fan

IPS_Fan

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Here is a post that may help.
  • Kurisu87 and Zizzla_JA like this
Click here to download a great hook for board administrators. It allows the staff (of your choice) to send PMs to a given user group, while preventing members of that same group from sending PMs to members of other user groups on your site. I requested this for this hook to be made, to prevent New Members from sending PMs (Read: SPAM) to my active, seasoned members. Thanks to the coder who authored it, PeterUK!

Do you need someone to optimize your VPS? Of course you do. Do not trust the techs at your host to know what they are doing. I speak from experience here, believe me. Anyway, Gary., the "VPS Guru", is member here. Gary. comes highly recommended by me and others - on - this site. You will not regret getting Gary. to optimize your VPS.

#4 Kurisu87

Kurisu87

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

thanks to the both of you, i was unaware of the robots.txt, as it was named robotstxt.txt so google was saying it did not exist and i read the other post, some pretty useful stuff which i have implemented! thank you

#5 AndyF

AndyF

iQA4u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,447 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Its just named that by default so if you already have one present you do not overwrite it :) , in a similar way the config file with a new board is called .dist.php so its more or less ignored (and you don't overwrite the "real" one)
  • Kurisu87 and The Guy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users