6 replies to this topic

#1 DaveUK83

DaveUK83

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

I currently have Mybb in the root and wish to install IPB into a /forum folder, convert Mybb to IPB and then move IPB into the root.

Is it easy and painless to move IPB from a folder into the root?
  • ogbrandon and SeivafipStips like this

#2 Sefket

Sefket

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

The way I do it - I install a new account from WHM (I have a VPS) and then I just make it so one directory says "MyBB" in one directory, and "IPB" in another directory. After I convert them, I download the IPB data from cPanel, then for the LIVE site (generate a backup first and download it) and then over-write it with the IPB files.

I convert, install IPB Boards, and more! Check my shop here.
Three important things for your website

#3 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,674 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yes, this is possible and isn't very difficult. Effectively, after you move IPB you update the board_url in conf_global.php, and then in the ACP you update any other URLs (uploads URL, etc.) to point to the new location.
  • Rhett likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#4 C1REX

C1REX

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

I just moved the forum to the root directory and everything seems to work fine.
The only think I'm missing is the directory when clicking on the logo. Where to change that?

#5 ketchuplord

ketchuplord

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yes, this is possible and isn't very difficult. Effectively, after you move IPB you update the board_url in conf_global.php, and then in the ACP you update any other URLs (uploads URL, etc.) to point to the new location.

Sorry for the bump but I fixed the conf_global.php and moved my site, however I'm not sure how I would go about updating the URLs in the ACP to go to the new site. Could you tell me how to do this in the ACP? Thanks.

#6 Rhett

Rhett

R1Lover

• IPS Staff
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Sorry for the bump but I fixed the conf_global.php and moved my site, however I'm not sure how I would go about updating the URLs in the ACP to go to the new site. Could you tell me how to do this in the ACP? Thanks.

Admincp > system > system settings > general configuration >  then you will see the urls to adjust, if you are running gallery or downloads then check the following settings as well  admincp > other apps > gallery >  settings and then the same for downloads

"If you're spinning your wheels or sliding backwards... you better look for some traction, before you fall off the road!"

Rhett
Hosting & Support Manager
Invision Power Services Inc

#7 Vroom

Vroom

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Two other things you should do when moving your forum to another directory. I spent 5 hours going crazy trying to figure out why my forums wasnt working after moving it.

First, if you are using the .htaccess  SEO friendly URLs, you need to update the .htaccess file. There are three mentions of the old folder in the htaccess file which you need to update to the new folder.

Second you need to update the skins cache, or all of the images will be pointing to the old folder and getting file not found errors. To do this you need to go to "ACP" --> "Look and feel" --> "Template Tools", and the option will be on the top of the page.  The skins cache doesn't update when you go to "update all" under the cache management page of system tab, as one would expect it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users