Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving IPB from /forum into root

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I currently have Mybb in the root and wish to install IPB into a /forum folder, convert Mybb to IPB and then move IPB into the root.

Is it easy and painless to move IPB from a folder into the root?

ogbrandon and SeivafipStips like this

Posted

The way I do it - I install a new account from WHM (I have a VPS) and then I just make it so one directory says "MyBB" in one directory, and "IPB" in another directory. After I convert them, I download the IPB data from cPanel, then for the LIVE site (generate a backup first and download it) and then over-write it with the IPB files.

Posted

Yes, this is possible and isn't very difficult. Effectively, after you move IPB you update the board_url in conf_global.php, and then in the ACP you update any other URLs (uploads URL, etc.) to point to the new location.

Rhett likes this

Posted

Hi,

I just moved the forum to the root directory and everything seems to work fine.
The only think I'm missing is the directory when clicking on the logo. Where to change that?

Posted

Yes, this is possible and isn't very difficult. Effectively, after you move IPB you update the board_url in conf_global.php, and then in the ACP you update any other URLs (uploads URL, etc.) to point to the new location.

Sorry for the bump but I fixed the conf_global.php and moved my site, however I'm not sure how I would go about updating the URLs in the ACP to go to the new site. Could you tell me how to do this in the ACP? Thanks.

Posted

Sorry for the bump but I fixed the conf_global.php and moved my site, however I'm not sure how I would go about updating the URLs in the ACP to go to the new site. Could you tell me how to do this in the ACP? Thanks.

Admincp > system > system settings > general configuration >  then you will see the urls to adjust, if you are running gallery or downloads then check the following settings as well  admincp > other apps > gallery >  settings and then the same for downloads

Posted

Two other things you should do when moving your forum to another directory. I spent 5 hours going crazy trying to figure out why my forums wasnt working after moving it.

First, if you are using the .htaccess  SEO friendly URLs, you need to update the .htaccess file. There are three mentions of the old folder in the htaccess file which you need to update to the new folder.

Second you need to update the skins cache, or all of the images will be pointing to the old folder and getting file not found errors. To do this you need to go to "ACP" --> "Look and feel" --> "Template Tools", and the option will be on the top of the page.  The skins cache doesn't update when you go to "update all" under the cache management page of system tab, as one would expect it too.