Blocks, templates & pages oh my

10 posts in this topic

Posted

If you are building pages that contain various pieces of information you end up with a bunch of blocks and stuff that basically only belong to that page. As you wander along creating pages and hooks the number of hooks starts to grow pretty alarmingly. Now the issue is that hooks (and other stuff in IPC) only allow you one level of sorting and all of them appear on the navigation page. Once you have a few it becomes pretty ordinary trying to locate the one hook you need to play with.

So how about the displays show the top level with the option to open it, and see the items contained within and manage those, obviously submenus are also needed so that the stuff can reflect the same structure as the pages themselves.

And one thing that is hugely needed is the ability to clone a hook!

Thanks,
Larry

Posted

+10000000
Simply put, large-scale block usage is unmanageable. ATM, I could not locate a specific block in my own demo ACP at a glance, and the page is looooong. I have less than 100(thanks to block templates now, I had more). I have worked on an install with more than 1000 blocks.
Scalable interface needed so badly here. Same for Templates, of all kinds(... you don't even really want me to elaborate here on templates.... I could count... but I would be there all day). And Databases/Categories.... I'm certain mat206 has his issues there. Need an interface usable in said large-scale uses.
Frankly, if 2.4(... w/e, version is version, but is likely a large-point change, not a minor version) has NO other features at ALL added, this alone would make it an upgrade worth jumping on immediately and recklessly IMO 0-o.

CallieJo and TaffyCaffy like this

Posted

This, a thousand times this.

Posted

Absolutely. I remember when we were building the first prototype/proof of concept for the new version of our site (we wanted to look at doing a megamenu using blocks to pull relevant curated content for each topic area) and had well over 100 blocks created. We were really just getting started and it was already getting hard to manage. Being able to better categorize and filter to find the relevant blocks would be a HUGE benefit as mentioned above. It gets geometrically more important as the complexity of the site increases.

James

Posted

Note that you can group blocks and templates already. I will consider adding a way to collapse the groups in a future version, as I think that would accommodate the needs put forth in this topic.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1337019791' post='2267174']Note that you can group blocks and templates already. I will consider adding a way to collapse the groups in a future version, as I think that would accommodate the needs put forth in this topic.

Obviously I know this as I asked that instead of a single sort level we be allowed to have sub categories and to have them default to closed. Specifically I ask that it be like the 'pages' list and that was because then I could mirror whatever structure was there in the blocks so that I could find page specific block which I already have oodles easier rather than having to have block names like 'page software ipboard awards navigation'

Posted

Just to be clear as it seems Marcher Tech is having an unwarranted dummy spit to me in private.

the same navigation schema that is used for pages, ie that you have cat > sub cat > block the same as it is Dir > Dir > Page

sheez can't win today that's fer sher .. stand clear evacuate to minimum safe distance old fart about to explode!

Posted

Personally, I think categories and subcategories and sub-subcategories for block organization is a bit over the top myself. It serves no real purpose in the software, other than for your own organization in the ACP and would be reflected virtually no where else, so it would be a lot of code and admin-setup just to "clean up" the screen a little. I think being able to put blocks in a single-level category structure (which you can now) and being able to minimize those categories to clean up the screen a little would suffice for the majority of administrators. :)

Posted

k will have to see when/if the collapse option appears. With some naming of cats/blocks properly may be enough to stop the eyes from bleeding.

Posted

Search, please.
It does not really matter if one can collapse a category when one is trying to locate a block out of 1000 in 30 categories to be edited... please add a search function that filters results by block name/key/description.

TaffyCaffy and Tigratrus like this