4 replies to this topic

#1 Mister Blonde

Mister Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

I've sort of been drawn away from IPDownload for a while now as this feature isn't available yet, but if it was to happen I would definitely be willing to return.

This feature, multiple download server locations. For example: If I upload a file to www.examplewebsite.com then the file will be automatically uploaded to the two/three/four etc download servers connected and chosen in the AP. So then if a user wants to download said file, before downloading they get a choice between the two/three/four etc servers allowing you to set up one in say USA and one in UK for example. This allows for a greater chance to expand to different countries as now I'm always presented with the issue that there's always one person who has issues uploading/downloading because they're far away from the server. With multiple download server locations to choose from, that problem is reduced.

Obviously this feature isn't for everyone, but when you have a website which is download/upload heavily based, having this feature is a fantastic advantage.
  • Haku2 likes this

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,617 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

We are considering more powerful CDN options in the core software at some point in the future - if that happens, we will likely expand IP.Downloads to make use of this possibility, and I think that would ultimately provide a better solution. Would that work?
  • Haku2 likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 maidos

maidos

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

i would like this feature too, as requested before. there are many filehost that utilize ipdownloads for large filehost files which isnt just a mere kb scripts but megabyte or even gigabyte. which is why i believe ipdownload should have feature to add several dowload loacation specified by ipaddress etc
  • Haku2 likes this

#4 Mister Blonde

Mister Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

We are considering more powerful CDN options in the core software at some point in the future - if that happens, we will likely expand IP.Downloads to make use of this possibility, and I think that would ultimately provide a better solution. Would that work?

As long as it allows for multiple file storage locations to download/upload to/from.

However, you already have it set up to allow storage done by an ftp so all you need to do is allow multiple ones. Make it so when you upload it uploads to both in the same stage. Create a stage when choosing to download a file so you choose the server (if multiple servers are enabled), allow admins to name the servers and then it's added pretty easily.
  • Haku2 likes this

#5 Haku2

Haku2

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Multiple download locations would be really useful, especially if the server load for each server could be displayed, options to restrict download locations based on server load and/or member group were available, options to allow downloads from certain servers only if one or more of the other servers has become unavailable or gone offline were available, and if a server re-synchronization feature was available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users