12 replies to this topic

#1 Kadava

Kadava

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

Ok, another question ive got with using the demo ive noticed that files can be uploaded to ip-downloads, BUT with our site using
file links which are already on our server, my question is can I make the uploads NOT required and just add the link to my file already
stored on our servers? we have 100s of files and really dont want to upload them again, surely there is a way to change the upload
settings to just put in our link with using the download function of ip-downloads too?

Thanks.

#2 Poison Light

Poison Light

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

Main > Settings > IPS Apps > IP.Downloads

File storage: Store files in my database
Allow URL file link submissions: Yes
Which groups can link to files: .......

result:

Posted Image

#3 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,558 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

You can allow links, as EdgarJ points out, but it will not hide the upload field in doing so. To do that you would need to modify the skin templates a little.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#4 Kadava

Kadava

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

@EdgarJ thanks :)

@bfarber mind telling me how then please, I really want to see if all this is worth it before parting with my money. Thanks

#5 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,558 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I do not have exact instructions on hand. You'd have to modify the HTML in (Downloads) Submit Download -> mainSubmitForm() to remove the upload file fields, but take care not to cause any javascript errors in the process since some of the JS relies on those fields (e.g. you could hide them with CSS instead of actually deleting them in the HTML template).

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#6 Kadava

Kadava

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

So, can I wait for you to give me a perfect guide as I dont even have the slightest idea where to start, lol sorry.

We have used our current setup for 10 years now, and its the first time we will be using a whole new setup if we decide to go further, so I would really like to know if this
can work and also be able to see it working before I do buy it. What we are worried about most is IPB is a complete new venture and we dont know much about it.

Thanks again.

#7 Kadava

Kadava

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

So I take it there is no way to help then? So I may as well just give up now as I cant even get around to what im doing or trying to do :(

#8 .Ian

.Ian

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hello,

You can find people to undertake custom work at http://community.inv...m_services.html

We also have a very active community here who can often help with customisation in our section at http://community.inv...-modifications/

Add Comet Chat to your community :smile:     SmartDNS / Global VPN optionsworks with Windows, OSX, iPhone, Android, iPad, AppleTV, Wii, PS3, XBOX360 and more

Non League UK

Play safe and purchase IP.Board from IPS! - click here to buy

Converting from Vbulletin, phpBB or another forum to IPB? Click here for the conversion service - it might be free!

IPS Hosting - click here for the prices & specifications. Some packages include a free version of IP.Board!

#9 Kadava

Kadava

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hello,

You can find people to undertake custom work at http://community.inv...m_services.html

We also have a very active community here who can often help with customisation in our section at http://community.inv...-modifications/

This is ONLY for people who have client accounts! obviously im not one yet as im still trying to find out if your product is going to satisfy my needs.

Thanks anyway. But ive still got no answer to my question! I can do either, dont buy the product and stick with what ive got. OR buy the product and risk
10 years of me and my staffs hard work in messing it all up IF it doesnt do what we want it to do. I hope you can understand that.

#10 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,558 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

I can sympathize with your situation.

Just to be clear, we do not provide assistance for modifying the software in-house. We have a wonderful community here whom I'm sure could assist you with the request you posed (I don't believe it would be all that difficult, personally), however it is not something IPS (or staff) can really directly assist with. In answering your question, I was trying to point out "yeah, that's possible", but it isn't something I or a technician could help you accomplish.

I hope that clarifies things a little. What you are after is doable, with some basic skin template modifications. The *exact* modifications aren't something we have on hand, however.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#11 Kadava

Kadava

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Ok, and I understand that .. but how to get assistance for this BEFORE I buy the product to see it working etc so I can decide or not to go ahead with
buying it? its all im wanting to do, its very worrying going from one site to a whole new site let along with all the change over of the files we have gathered
in the years, lol. Thanks

#12 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,558 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Kadava, the best suggestion I can make is to sign up for the $10 hosting account as a temporary measure which will upgrade your status on these forums to an active client. Then you will have full community access and a full install (on our servers) that you can modify and set up. Assuming you get it all sorted, you can either (1) continue using it, or (2) purchase a full license, copy your changes (which would probably amount to simply exporting your skin) to your new install that you host, and cancel the hosting account.

This is really one of those catch 22 situations I'm afraid. :hmm: A $10 hosting account would allow you to cheaply get full access to the community to try to get assistance setting up the customizations you're after, without forcing you to buy a full license and convert your site just to test it out.
  • Mikey B likes this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#13 Kadava

Kadava

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

lol I didnt even know that such offer was available ... my bad, thanks again then :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users