91 replies to this topic

#61 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Meet Jay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:27 AM

you know, just a guess, but I bet it could be possible.

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#62 Pete T

Pete T

The Invisioneer

• +Clients
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

i have one question what about the people lifetime license is going any changes in system on that side ??

EDIT :: just seen my answer so no reply needed.

Invision Focus | IBAdvance | My Resources | Make A Donation | Like to have IP.Board then could save up to $25! 

Lifetime License Holder | Perpetual License Holder | 100% English just dyslexic 

**PLEASE READ**

Please do NOT pm me with support related questions unless requested if you do will be removed from my PM box.
If you are in need of help or assistance, please post on the forum in the appropriate section!

Please do NOT pm me asking for any form custom theme or add-on's i am current busy !

#63 tera▀yte

tera▀yte

Needs Hobby

• +Clients
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

I agree, even if it was something simple like

www.url.com/forum1
www.url.com/forum2
www.url.com/nexus

That would be ideal, and maybe, just maybe with IP.Board being set as its own add-on as such, they could consider it. I would certainly buy more IP.Board licences if it was possible.

This won't be possible just like it is not possible now, to do that it would require that each IP.Board application uses a different key from "forums" (which means you need to rewrite all the files, normal/seo links, classes, etc).

The only option would be to get a new IPS Community + IP.Board package (just like now as I've said above :P)

#64 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Meet Jay

• Members
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

ah crap, oh well was wrth asking :)

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#65 dean84

dean84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

This won't be possible just like it is not possible now, to do that it would require that each IP.Board application uses a different key from "forums" (which means you need to rewrite all the files, normal/seo links, classes, etc).

The only option would be to get a new IPS Community + IP.Board package (just like now as I've said above :tongue:)

That is a shame, as although there is converge, it doesn't quite tick all the boxes.

Would it be possible with the new setup, that IP.Board could have a setting during the install, so that the user could select the database key, and that would filter through all the required places in the app itself? Dunno just guessing now lol.

#66 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

It would be a cool thing to do but I'm not sure it would be technically possible in the code :)

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

#67 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Meet Jay

• Members
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

perhaps a better question is does the upcoming changes open the door to looking into this?
we know presently its is not an option at all.

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#68 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

Would it be possible with the new setup, that IP.Board could have a setting during the install, so that the user could select the database key, and that would filter through all the required places in the app itself? Dunno just guessing now lol.

I'd say it's possible because it's just a matter of programming. However it comes down to a matter of difficulty. Since teraByte said that it wouldn't be easily possible, I'm going to put my bet on it not happening at all during the IPB3 series. If enough people ask for it, then maybe IPB4 will see that as a possibility.

If "the Suite" is going to be the skeleton/backbone that the apps run off of, it would make sense to me to make it possible to be able to run multiple boards from the same framework. Just would have to buy additional IPB licenses (for obvious reasons). One main problem that I see though would be the Suite knowing whether or not you're allowed to have more than one URL for a product. With Matt and bfarber at the helm though, I'm sure they'd be able to sit back and laugh at that like "Oh that's easy to handle."

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#69 dean84

dean84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

lol Wolfie, I hope they could find a way to get something like that to work.

I understand it wouldn't be in place for 3.4 series, may not even for the 4 series, but hopefully something they can look into.

The biggest issue I suppose might be how to integrate it into other areas, as a profile for example, how would you list posts/topics from multiple forum installs in one place? tabs maybe for each forum, who knows, would be awesome if they could achieve it though.

But I do think that now IP.Board will become its own app, then this is the time to consider such an option.

#70 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

The biggest issue I suppose might be how to integrate it into other areas, as a profile for example, how would you list posts/topics from multiple forum installs in one place? tabs maybe for each forum, who knows, would be awesome if they could achieve it though.

Oh that'd be nothing. You can view a members profile even without the forum app being available. The big thing would be in getting the system to recognize the other board/set of forums. I think an important part of it would be handled by fURL handling, so it'd know which 'forum' is being accessed. It's something that they could figure out though, so I won't even try to wrap my head around it.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#71 Clickfinity

Clickfinity

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

So if I renew IP.Board today for $25, will my renewal last a full six months or can I expect to pay again (part thereof) when you move to the new licensing structure?

Not a grumble BTW - just wanting to understand how the change will be applied. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

#72 Collin S.

Collin S.

IP.Hippie

• +Clients
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

So if I renew IP.Board today for $25, will my renewal last a full six months or can I expect to pay again (part thereof) when you move to the new licensing structure?

You will not be required to pay again. As noted in the announcement, at the time of the conversion, your current expiration date will be converted over.

Check out this topic for more info: http://community.inv...es-the-formula/
  • Clickfinity likes this

-Collin S.
Invision Power Services, Inc.

if mouthsize > handsize
boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks

#73 Clickfinity

Clickfinity

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

You will not be required to pay again. As noted in the announcement, at the time of the conversion, your current expiration date will be converted over.

Check out this topic for more info: http://community.inv...es-the-formula/

Okay, so your current board expiration date becomes the new bi-annual renewal date for everything under the new structure. Good. I think I get it now ... lol :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Shaun :D

#74 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

I very much like this change of perspective that forum is no longer the center of the universe. This can only bring good, in the form of innovation. I would not be surprised if this change will bring a new group of customers to IPS, with fresh needs and a different perspective.
For example, it means that Ip.Nexus can grow to a full on e-commerce platform rivaling major webshop software. Putting IP.N in direct competition will lead to more sales and more innovation. The same may happen for blog & CMS, as AWS mentioned above.

Absolutely very positive and inviting growth.
  • Mark likes this

#75 Hatsu

Hatsu

Forsaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

What would be the point in running several forum apps from one core? Just curious. You can already set up different forums with different user groups. I don't see a benefit from having two forum apps (blogs etc.).
@gerdgrossmann

Posted Image

Want to track bugs in your projects?
The Tracker App
TracDown

#76 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Meet Jay

• Members
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

What would be the point in running several forum apps from one core? Just curious. You can already set up different forums with different user groups. I don't see a benefit from having two forum apps (blogs etc.).

easily do domain/sub-domain stuff w/o getting all fancy with htaccess and rewrites.

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#77 Hatsu

Hatsu

Forsaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

So basically you would want to run different "web sites" with one core?
@gerdgrossmann

Posted Image

The Tracker App
TracDown

#78 dean84

dean84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

What if you have hundreds upon hundreds of forums, that all members are to have access too. That forum index doesnt half get a bit long. And the amount of clicking and scrolling can be a pain. I wanted to create a forum for 1 section, a forum for another to make it easier, but currently it means different sites, linked by converge, which wouldn't be ay good as, if member a wants to contact member b, that PM is prob not going to be on the same site. So one back end would allow for that sort of setup.

I could have a separate forum for football, a separate for rugby and so on. All linked so members can use them all without any efforts on their behalf.

#79 Hatsu

Hatsu

Forsaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

So additionally it would be nice feature, too, to run apps from different databases which are connected by the core, hm?
@gerdgrossmann

Posted Image

The Tracker App
TracDown

#80 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Meet Jay

• Members
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

What if you have hundreds upon hundreds of forums, that all members are to have access too. That forum index doesnt half get a bit long. And the amount of clicking and scrolling can be a pain. I wanted to create a forum for 1 section, a forum for another to make it easier, but currently it means different sites, linked by converge, which wouldn't be ay good as, if member a wants to contact member b, that PM is prob not going to be on the same site. So one back end would allow for that sort of setup.

I could have a separate forum for football, a separate for rugby and so on. All linked so members can use them all without any efforts on their behalf.

this too, it offers flexibility and ability to hide lot of stuff too.

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users