17 replies to this topic

#1 Oh my Jordan

Oh my Jordan

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

I've been using Xenforo Since December 2011 and after the glitz of it all wears off, I am like wow....I'm missing some key features I had on Free softwares.

Stuff like Global Announcements. Don't get me wrong, out of the 3 big softwares i feel like Xenforo is the most modern looking and acting but it still just feels like beta to me at the same time.

So I am looking elsewhere.

I'm Interested in IPB...Because at this point, Xenforo is not able to be converted to Vbulletin.

Now I am a member of a few IPB style forums and I like the software. It may not have the glitz of a Xenforo forum with the Jquery but it does feel more robust and complete.

But there are modifications I use on Xenforo that are a must to have.

1. Portal
What is a good recommended portal? I know a Veteran software like this has to have an awesome portal or three :D

2. Tagging feature(Like twitter/fb)---Not Urgent but still cool

on Xenfro there is this awesome feature where you can tag members in a post using the @ sign ad it places their names in your post as well as an alert is sent to them.

My members totally abuse it but enjoy the fun part of it....makes the site less forumy and more social.

3. Like features
I see, like xenforo, there is a like function here.

Are there any mods that allow you to expand upon the like feature?
For example this is what i mean
http://xenforo.com/c...next-level.410/

It allows you to expand on the reason you click like by adding some funny emotes with it(Again another glitz feature)

4. Moderation

If i give my Admins access to the admin panel, could i give them access to certain things.
Like i want them to feel like they are able to do most things i can do(and thus i dont always have to do them) but i dont want them to have access to things like deleting the entire board OR channging skins.

5. Discouraged users
is there a way to discourage users? I think Vbulletin has this feature like xenforo where you can make it hard for a troll to troll your site by screwing with them.

6. Hosted Communty

According to my stats on Xenforo, the site has about 16 active members at any given time.
Would the 10 dollar plan be a good fit for me?

I don't really get the average online user thing anyway.

All in ALl, I really am leaning to purchasing a license or hosting community.

What concerns me is, I've read elsewhere that people are displeased with iPB because

1. It uses a ton of resources for shared servers and people have had their accounts suspended due to the software using so much resources?

2. Also, I hear that the community can be a bit snobbish as certain types of sites may be looked down upon or mocked based on the content...even if it is legal.

Again idk if this is true. I am only reporting what I have heard from friends who have owned IPB license in the past or on various forums.
I'd love your opinions and I'm looking forward to being apart of the community.

#2 CallieJo

CallieJo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

But there are modifications I use on Xenforo that are a must to have.

You can see all available third party addons (mods) in the marketplace:
http://community.inv...ower.com/files/

#1 Yes
#3 No, not like that. I like that addon at XF, too. Pretty creative.

What concerns me is, I've read elsewhere that people are displeased with iPB because

1. It uses a ton of resources for shared servers and people have had their accounts suspended due to the software using so much resources?

2. Also, I hear that the community can be a bit snobbish as certain types of sites may be looked down upon or mocked based on the content...even if it is legal.

#1 I would say any forum can affect a shared hosting account if the account didn't have enough resources to begin with. We don't have issues with IPB on our servers.

#2 I have not personally seen anyone mock a site based soley on it's content or the type of site it is. I've seen constructive feedback here and there.

#3 The Guy

The Guy

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

I agree.

IPB is very fluent. The community is also really supportive in all aspects. My self I own the Suite because IP.Board and it's official applications are always moving forward with less and less flaws is a rare. It is certainly up to date modern software.

Xenforo is a young software. And from what see it seems Kier has stopped progressing it for some reason... its been to quiet....

To be honest I also own a vB 4 Suite license as well. And I feel the need to say that things look a little... *cough* unorganized there....

This is your best bet. Click my signature to try offical demo.

Hope this helps. :)

#4 Oh my Jordan

Oh my Jordan

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thank you for your responses!

:)
any thoughts on what i posted in my original post about the hosting communities?

#5 Mattmax

Mattmax

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ha, I'm in the same situation as the OP. I too purchased a XenForo license because of all the hype, but I am really missing essential features there that I can get even with free software. Since vB is rubbish I am playing with the thought of moving to IPB, but I need to sell my license first and in order to do that I need to own the license at least 120 days, so I have to wait. My decision however is not final. It depends whether or not the upcoming version will fill the feature gap.

At the moment the strongest contra IPB points are the SEO issues and the slowness of this software. I have visited many many IPB sites and they all are not as fast as XenForo, WBB or MyBB. Performance is very important to me. Fast forum scripts prove that it can really be fun to participate in communities. And the community should always be the most important part of a forum software.

That being said I will try to answer some questions of the OP:

#1: I am an active member of an IPB board which uses the Portal. It works similar to XenPorta.
#2: On the IPB board I am an active member you can do that. Dunno if this is a custom modification or an add-on.
#3: You refer to this enhanced Like add-on for XF? I was also looking if this is available for IPB, but couldn't find anything.
#5: AFAIK this is an XF exclusive feature at this time. You can always check the IPB demo and see what it can do.

#6 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Welcome! Hopefully I can answer your questions.

1. Portal
What is a good recommended portal? I know a Veteran software like this has to have an awesome portal or three :D

You have options, yes. We product a product called IP.Content which installs right into IP.Board and provides a full CMS-type system. You can create pages, including a homepage or portal page (the default install includes a basic portal which you can customize to suit your needs), and much more. There is also a modification in the marketplace called Easy Pages which is a basic page-creation tool (you could create an index page with it I believe, although you might not have the same dynamic capabilities as IP.Content), and there is a Portal application available as well.

on Xenfro there is this awesome feature where you can tag members in a post using the @ sign ad it places their names in your post as well as an alert is sent to them.

My members totally abuse it but enjoy the fun part of it....makes the site less forumy and more social.

IP.Board features a robust tagging system (we have it disabled here so you won't see it on this site, however it is available on the demo if you sign up for one).

In terms of 'tagging' members in posts, you can use the [ member ] bbcode like so:

[member='bfarber']

It does not send a notification to the member, however.

3. Like features
I see, like xenforo, there is a like function here.

Are there any mods that allow you to expand upon the like feature?
For example this is what i mean
http://xenforo.com/c...next-level.410/

It allows you to expand on the reason you click like by adding some funny emotes with it(Again another glitz feature)

Yes, IP.Board has a like system. No, it does not allow you to include emoticons or other flags/indicators when you 'like' something, however I'm sure a developer could expand upon the system to provide those capabilities.

4. Moderation

If i give my Admins access to the admin panel, could i give them access to certain things.
Like i want them to feel like they are able to do most things i can do(and thus i dont always have to do them) but i dont want them to have access to things like deleting the entire board OR channging skins.

Moderators do not need access to the admin panel to manage things, just to be clear. However, to answer your question, yes. When you create administrators you can restrict what they can access in the ACP down to specific functions (e.g. edit but not delete members). You could give someone access to manage categories in IP.Downloads, and nothing else, or you could give someone access to edit skins, and nothing else. The restrictions system is pretty powerful, so you can set up administrators however you want.

5. Discouraged users
is there a way to discourage users? I think Vbulletin has this feature like xenforo where you can make it hard for a troll to troll your site by screwing with them.

There is no built in functionality for this in IP.Board. There is a Miserable Users plugin which accomplishes what you are after, I believe.

6. Hosted Communty

According to my stats on Xenforo, the site has about 16 active members at any given time.
Would the 10 dollar plan be a good fit for me?

I don't really get the average online user thing anyway.

The limits you see on our hosting pages outline the maximum average number of online users. For instance with the $10 a month package, you cannot go over an average of 10 online users at any one time in a 2 day period. Note that guests and search engine bots do count toward this. If you click the '?' icon next to the limit it explains this in more detail

The average number of users your community can have online and browsing at any one time. We calculate your average through a 48 hour rolling window. We don't shut off your community if you go over this figure, but we may ask you to upgrade your package.

If you do regularly have 16 online users, I would recommend the "Standard 25" package. Now, we don't just shut your site off if you go over the limit of course - we contact those who are regularly over the limit and ask them to upgrade. And remember that we're talking about a rolling average, not a single spike.

All in ALl, I really am leaning to purchasing a license or hosting community.

Again idk if this is true. I am only reporting what I have heard from friends who have owned IPB license in the past or on various forums.
I'd love your opinions and I'm looking forward to being apart of the community.

1) Are you referring to our own hosting or externally? We have no control over what other hosts do of course, however we do not typically just shut sites down unless they are using an extreme amount of resources, atypical for the package type they are on.

2) I have never seen any evidence of this, however feel free to browse around the forums to see for yourself. :)

Oh, and one final thing - a coupon code was put up not too long ago for users converting from Xenforo to IP.Board. Use the coupon code 'SWITCH' for a small discount during checkout. :)
  • Mikey B likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#7 Oh my Jordan

Oh my Jordan

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thanks Bfarber and again to everyone for your speedy replies.

I also have a similar concern as Max. I am a member of a LGBT forum that uses IPB(which is how i was able to use ip chat since they have it installed and i fell in love with the chat. MUCH BETTER than ajax) but the site does feel a bit slower than other Xenforo sites. Of course nowhere as slow as Vbulletin forums but it is noticeable.

is there something I could do to speed up the board?
I am hosted with Mdd hosting.

#8 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

The speed of an individual board will be down to many factors, including (but not limited to)
  • The most important factor is the server hosting the site. A small $5/month shared account on a server that has 200 other accounts is not likely going to be fast, no matter what you run.
  • A properly configured server. A beefy server with few accounts can still perform very poorly if not configured well.
  • The modifications you add to your site. Many modifications can easily cause resource issues by their very nature (e.g. a shoutbox will send requests to the server every second or two for every user viewing your site - this can easily cause issues on your server).
  • The features and options within the suite you make use of. You should cache CSS files (the default option), for instance, to speed up the rendering of the page. You should carefully choose the skin you use, as image-heavy skins (or skins with very complex HTML structures) can be slower than more basic and streamlined skins. Certain features can help you save resources, such as updating topic views hourly instead of immediately. Our technicians can help you understand the features within the software we provide.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#9 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

I've "owned" phpbb (multiple versions) run vb sites, ownded some smf sites (IMO the best of the free) and bought IP.
no such thing as perfect software but all in all its been the best bet for me, IP Content is becoming easier to use and really is a powerhouse.

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#10 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

For instance with the $10 a month package, you cannot go over an average of 10 online users at any one time in a 2 day period.

He's lying. IPS is extremely lenient. When I was on the $5 package, I went over the 5 person limit all the time and they didn't make me upgrade to 10 until a month later.

#11 Heyhoe

Heyhoe

Let's Race!

• +Clients
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

If i remember correctly there is an addon which accomplishes no.2 in the marketplace. Pretty much exactly the same as the @Heyhoe system. I also think you can choose the prefix to use.

http://community.inv...e-mentions-you/

Unfortunately $7 but exactly what you are looking for.

#12 Collin S.

Collin S.

IP.Hippie

• +Clients
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

He's lying. IPS is extremely lenient. When I was on the $5 package, I went over the 5 person limit all the time and they didn't make me upgrade to 10 until a month later.

Just to clear up any confusion here,as was mentioned later in Brandon's post, it's not a hard limit - On a Basic 10 plan, if you hit 11 users at one time, nothing happens. It's a rolling average for a 48 hour window. So, if you had 20 people online one day, and zero the next, your average would still be 10 and you would still be fine on your plan. :thumbsup:

Note to prevent confusion: We no longer offer a $5 package.
  • Marcher Technologies likes this

-Collin S.

if mouthsize > handsize
boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks

#13 miraclesun

miraclesun

...i defy you, stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

This should do the trick - it works like twitter. You use the "@" symbol to tag someone, and they get notified:
  • Oh my Jordan likes this

#14 Oh my Jordan

Oh my Jordan

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

So I am back again :)

Been doing a LOT of research. Looking through here and a few members were awesome enough to send messages to me

and I am going to download the demo this weekend when i have nothing to do and spend the few days really getting the hang of the software.
That and I am trying to see if XF is ever going to announce their 1.2 upgrade since Q2 ends in June.

Just a few more questions

1.Hosted Community

With the hosted community since this is hosted on IPS servers, how would I go about converting all my Xenforo stuff over?

2. More features I was interested in seeing.

A. Notices:
Idk if you guys are familiar with Xenforo software but they have this nifty feature(a novelty) that has "notices" that scroll across the forum, allowing important information to be seen all over the site.

Ironically enough, I was complaining that XF did not have Global Announcements(threads that appear in all forums) and I believe IPS does.

B. Custom Profile fields:

Suppose i wanted to allow members to be able to add media and stuff to their profiles. How does one go about allowing members to personalize their profiles?

C. Alerts
FOr those who are familiar with XF alerts/notifications, what are the pros and cons of your Alert system for IPS vs the XF alerts.

3. SEO

From the forums I frequent, I am really trying to understand exactly what is going on.
Supposedly SEO with XF is supposed to be excellent(Idk) and there are complaints about SEO with IPS....What exactly is the issue?

How does this affect me as an owner?

4. IP downloads

This is basically away for people to download stuff the owner has on the site right?

#15 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

1.Hosted Community

With the hosted community since this is hosted on IPS servers, how would I go about converting all my Xenforo stuff over?

Our hosting team will provide you guidance on this once you have purchased a hosting account. Our converters are freely available on our website. I am unsure right now if the policy is to put you in a sandbox environment to perform the conversion, or if you are to do it right from your hosting account, which is why I said the hosting team will assist. You can email sales@invisionpower.com to find out before hand if you prefer.

2. More features I was interested in seeing.

A. Notices:
Idk if you guys are familiar with Xenforo software but they have this nifty feature(a novelty) that has "notices" that scroll across the forum, allowing important information to be seen all over the site.

Ironically enough, I was complaining that XF did not have Global Announcements(threads that appear in all forums) and I believe IPS does.

B. Custom Profile fields:

Suppose i wanted to allow members to be able to add media and stuff to their profiles. How does one go about allowing members to personalize their profiles?

C. Alerts
FOr those who are familiar with XF alerts/notifications, what are the pros and cons of your Alert system for IPS vs the XF alerts.

Notices: You could easily show a block at the top of the page by using the global ad code field to put the HTML in, or by editing the skin template. I'm certain there are addons in the marketplace for this as well.

Custom Profile Fields: IP.Board supports custom profile fields.

Alerts: I'm not familiar with the Xenforo alerts system I'm afraid.

3. SEO

From the forums I frequent, I am really trying to understand exactly what is going on.
Supposedly SEO with XF is supposed to be excellent(Idk) and there are complaints about SEO with IPS....What exactly is the issue?

How does this affect me as an owner?

I think you'll find most of the 'issues' you may hear from time to time aren't anything you need to be concerned with. Sites with good unique content have no problems getting indexed, and there is a free IP.SEO addon available if you wish to further enhance the search engine optimization of your board.

4. IP downloads

This is basically away for people to download stuff the owner has on the site right?

While IP.Board supports built in attachments, the downloads system goes a step further providing a full-featured file repository system if you have a need. It is what is used to power our Marketplace for instance.
  • AndyF likes this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#16 Sefket

Sefket

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 943 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Brandon - I'm pretty sure the alert system is like the notification system.

I convert, install IPB Boards, and more! Check my shop here.
Three important things for your website

#17 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

I assumed as much, but I couldn't really compare the two since I'm not familiar with Xenforo's system, and as such couldn't list the pros or cons of either. :)

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#18 .time

.time

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

I assumed as much, but I couldn't really compare the two since I'm not familiar with Xenforo's system, and as such couldn't list the pros or cons of either. :)

There's nothing XF's alert system can do that IPB's can't (from what I can tell).
  • Mikey B likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users