Is there a way to link Gallery Albums to Custom Database?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

well, the topic title pretty much explains it: i'd like to link a database record (from the article or any custom database) to a specific album from ip.gallery.

is there a suggested way to do this or even an existing database field type for this?

thanks
-daniel

Posted

You could use a "Shared Media" field in the database, although this does not enforce Gallery Albums only (a user could link a download manager file, gallery image, attachment, etc.). Nevertheless, if you educate your submitters and control the submission process (e.g. only allow trusted users to submit, or require moderation where you check the submissions) you could use this to accomplish what you are after.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1338471387' post='2273022']
You could use a "Shared Media" field in the database, although this does not enforce Gallery Albums only (a user could link a download manager file, gallery image, attachment, etc.). Nevertheless, if you educate your submitters and control the submission process (e.g. only allow trusted users to submit, or require moderation where you check the submissions) you could use this to accomplish what you are after.

Ah that's a cool idea! But how to i get the media library popup to display ALL albums (global albums)? :)

Posted

Hmm, that isn't doable at present unfortunately, as the my media tool was meant to allow you to share your own content. It would require a source code modification most likely I'm afraid.

Alternatively, a similar field type could be built for your site specifically, if you can contract a developer to do it. It wouldn't be terribly difficult I'd imagine.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1338494482' post='2273156']
Hmm, that isn't doable at present unfortunately, as the my media tool was meant to allow you to share your own content. It would require a source code modification most likely I'm afraid.

Alternatively, a similar field type could be built for your site specifically, if you can contract a developer to do it. It wouldn't be terribly difficult I'd imagine.

Hm i guess this would be a really good feature in general as news sites with several editors would post images and videos in global albums instead of member albums.

could you point me in the right direction in terms of which file to edit? :)

Posted

I would think for those, you would just share the image and not the whole album - though the same caveats will exist (you can only share your own images).

The shared media field is controlled by each app as a plugin. Note that editing it will also affect sharing throughout the site (anywhere the editor is). File is admin/applications_addon/ips/gallery/extensions/sharedmedia/plugin_albums.php

Posted

hm i think we have different workflows here. for me it is like this:
- i as an admin or the editor in chief creates new global albums within a structure like this:

etc...

Then, the galleries are being filled by editors. Those editors then write articles with the latest news about Game 1 or Movie 3. And there would love to simply insert the gallery for the specific game or movie. Same goes for a Movie or Game Database. I'd like to link a Gallery to a record.

I'll look into the plugin_albums.php file - perhaps it's easy to simply show all users from a certain user group ("editors") all content.

Movies 

- Movie 1

- Movie 2

- Movie 3

- *new item*

Gaming

- PC

- Game 1

- Game 2

- Xbox

- Game 1

- Game 2

Posted

Ok, i've managed to get all global albums displayed as well - the only thing working not yet is the album search. Any hints on where to fix that?

Thanks! :)

Posted

Hi DReffects2,

How did you get global albums showing? Did you end up having to modify the source code?

Thanks,

Garrett

Posted

Yap, i've did a small modification to the /applications_addon/ips/gallery/extensions/sharedmedia/plugin_albums.php file

basically it comes down to adding an

album_is_global=1 OR
 into the two mysql queries

Posted

any update on the search thingy? :)

pretty please <3

Posted

Which album search? You can search albums from a few different places (IPB search, ACP, album chooser popup, shared media popup).

I would guess you're talking about the shared media plugin and the appropriate file should be under /admin/applications_addon/ips/gallery/modules_public/ajax/ .

Posted

The "my media" popup thingy was the one :) I'll look into it after the weekend.

Thanks!