Convert -> configure -> convert again?
Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:51 PM
Is it possible to convert a site for testing purposes, configure IPB, and then use those settings for the final conversion?
Could I drop certain tables to allow a second conversion, or dump some tables containing configuration info?
Is there some way to transfer settings between boards that I could use?
Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:04 PM
Yes, but you won't have recent information if you leave your LIVE boards open while you convert.
Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:06 AM
1. Back up the live board.
2. Convert the backup to IPB and let users play around with the test server.
3. Set up IPB using the test server and getting user/mod feedback.
4. Shut down the live server and convert the final data.
So there are three ways to deal with the fact that conversion is run twice, in step 2 and step 4:
1. Just run the converter twice, relying on it to clear out each table it's converting. I've never heard of a converter that will do this, they tend to blow up if you try to run twice.
2. Carefully clean out all databases the converter will use (posts/threads/memberlist/etc) but leave things like admin settings that it won't use. That way you can run it again, and keep the stuff it doesn't use. Requires you to know exactly what the converter is going to touch.
3. Export the board's settings tables, style modifications, etc. Run a conversion on a clean IPB install, then import the settings from the test board. Requires you to know which settings tables can be safely moved from one board to another. (Alternatively, there could be mods which allow you to export/import some things).
This is basically advanced voodoo, but people must have hit the issue before.
Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:20 PM
I am running a test conversion right now and seeing that I'm going to have to keep the forum down for at least 24 hours or leave it up and have missing posts. It is soooo slow, and I haven't actually got the conversion completed yet. I'm not even sure what else I need to do. I ran the conversions and I'm in the 'rebuild content' section now.... taking even longer than the conversion. I have over 1 million posts so this is quite arduous.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users