15 replies to this topic

#1 Tarquin

Tarquin

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

Hey Guys,

I am not sure exactly how many people have wanted or even requested this feature, but I really think that it should be standard in this package, and that is a front end system for support requests through the the Nexus support desk. Not sure what I mean? I'll try to keep it short and simple.

I am using this system to manage reports of harassment and abuse on game servers as well as some other stuff that you wouldn't usually use it for. Why? The nexus support desk is perfect for it!

However!

I have moderators who do NOT have access to the ACP, who I want to have access to the system to be able to reply, open, investigate and close these jobs using the staff setting in the ACP. Currently in order for any of the Nexus Staff groups to see or reply to tickets, they must have ACP access, which to me is not something I want to do. Instead I believe that ALL support replies etc should be done through the front end of the system and only settings and logs in the backend. This would allow moderators or even just a standard user group that you define, manage tickets for you.

Again, not sure how many people share the same feelings on this, if you do please speak up so that it may be considered for inclusion in the next release!

Thanks for your time!
  • CallieJo and Cal5 like this

#2 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,387 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

You can use ACP restrictions so that they only have access to the support system :)
  • AndyF likes this

Mark Wade
Developer

zce-php5-3-logo.gif php5-zce-logo-new.gif

#3 PSNation

PSNation

The Boss

• +Clients
  • 668 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

I agree this would be a nice incorporation into the ModCP.

Posted Image

#4 Tarquin

Tarquin

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

You can use ACP restrictions so that they only have access to the support system :smile:

Hey mark,

I dont want to be forced to give them ACP access full stop. In addition the ACP doesnt look user friendly when all other access is removed except this 1 module (ie you click Nexus and it gives you an error, you must mouse over and locate the Support Requests link directly) plus it forces them to login again, and they get a bit annoyed.

I believe the MCP has a lot of potential for something like this, and it would fit in nicely.

#5 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,387 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

If someone only has access to one module, after signing in, they should be taken directly to that module.

That said, a front-end support system is something we've been looking into. For now, ACP restrictions would be the way to go :)
  • NickČ likes this

Mark Wade
Developer

#6 skizzerz

skizzerz

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:49 AM

I would like to request that instead of making the frontend part of the Mod CP, that you add an additional Staff CP, since support staff are not necessarily the community forum mods, especially in a case where one outsources ticket support. Most other commonly used ticket systems have three parts: the user area where they can create tickets and add replies, the staff area where support staff can reply to tickets, and the admin area where admins can manage which staff have access to the system and other backend things such as departments. It would be beneficial in my mind if IP.Nexus were to adopt this philosophy as well.
  • Tarquin, Feld0, Cal5 and 1 other like this

#7 Tarquin

Tarquin

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

I would like to request that instead of making the frontend part of the Mod CP, that you add an additional Staff CP, since support staff are not necessarily the community forum mods, especially in a case where one outsources ticket support. Most other commonly used ticket systems have three parts: the user area where they can create tickets and add replies, the staff area where support staff can reply to tickets, and the admin area where admins can manage which staff have access to the system and other backend things such as departments. It would be beneficial in my mind if IP.Nexus were to adopt this philosophy as well.

I agree with this and would like to relight this subject as the latest nexus still hasn't got this feature. Thanks!

• Cal5 likes this

#8 GreenLinks

GreenLinks

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I also agree with this.

Mert Gokceimam
CTO / Greenlinks Bv
http://www.420network.com

#9 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,387 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

I agree with this and would like to relight this subject as the latest nexus still hasn't got this feature. Thanks!

I'm still not sure that a front-end system is the most appropriate place for support requests.

I've worked on a proof-of-concept for the idea twice, first when developing 1.0 and more recently around the time this topic was started - both times, we've had the same problem: unless you also move customer management to the front-end, many common things which come up when dealing with tickets require you to log into the Admin CP anyway. Which leads onto the question of whether those functions should also be moved, which starts to raise red flags in terms of maintaining the optimal security for such sensitive data.

In addition, adding an additional "control panel" felt a bit strange - we already have a control panel (well, 2 control panels if you include the MCP), so even I was starting to have to think "Hang on, which control panel is the thing I'm looking for in?"

My current thinking is that the best approach is to continue making improvements to the Admin CP across the whole suite so we can get to a point where the ACP is flexible enough to handle Nexus' controls without any concern. We made improvements in 3.3 in this regard including making it easier to configure ACP restrictions and making your ACP home page automatically changes according to your ACP restrictions. We've made even further improvements in 3.4 including allowing admins to customise the ACP menus and better attachment and editor support in the ACP.

Naturally we'll continue to play around with the idea and revisit it with a much more serious take when we come to Nexus "2.0" (which won't be called that as it'll be when we're dealing with the suite as a whole, but you know what I mean).

Mark Wade
Developer

#10 Tarquin

Tarquin

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

We use the nexus support tickets for reports on game servers we run. In this fashion there is no need for interacting with the ACP.

I wouldn't shift it to a new FrontEND CP either, if anything it should be in the ModCP, not necessarily for Moderators, but because it is a tool of moderation to some extent. I agree that making yet ANOTHER Control Panel would be annoying for users with access to all of them.

Perhaps any functions that you believe to be important and require ACP, should simply show to users with ACP access ONLY and have a direct link. When the user clicks the link, the ACP will ask them to login given its standard behavior? And if they don't have ACP they won't see the link in the first place?

#11 UKPoliceOnline

UKPoliceOnline

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

I would like to add my thoughts to this thread if I may.

We have just purchased and are starting to implement Nexus across our suites. This to me is a key feature that is missing. Our moderators are the first port of call with our members for many reasons and it would sit best for them to be able to access this from the front end. I appreciate we could grant them ACP access and restrict it accordingly but that for us and probably many others is where the issues start.

Our ACP is restricted by IP. Our admins as default must have a static IP and we feel this is the best way of securing our community. Our mods often are members from home, without static IP's and therefore giving them ACP access is out of the question.

Im not sure what the best answer to this is other than, it is a desperately needed feature, it also needs to be dealt with from the front end ideally.

Thanks

#12 Tarquin

Tarquin

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

This is an old topic, as such I know I may be bumping it and some may not appreciate that :S

This still, to me, has yet to be fully looked at. This to me should have its own portal of sorts, in the frontend of the system. Otherwise, I can understand what the ACP Centralization goal is, perhaps an alternative to this would be to change how the ACP reacts to restrictions. Completly hide tabs and sections that are not accessible to avoid such confusions.

I still must say that I stand my ground on where I believe the functionality should be, and understand the counter-arguments for it. At the end of the day the data is still within the same database, so having SOME of the data accessible via the frontend and not other data, isn't much of a stretch.

In a situation, as you pointed out earlier, where a staff member needs to view information that is only viewable via the ACP, then they need to forward it to another department, one who DOES have access. Simply duplicate the 'help desk' panel to be within the ACP (to avoid tab changing or constant switching between front and back) as well as the MCP or other Support Desk.

It is the admins responsibility to configure departments to have appropriate access in the first place. If an 'accounts' department only has access to the help desk but not the ACP, then the person who set it up has failed their job. But if Nexus's support feature is being used for reports and other misc 'ticket' subjects then they shouldn't need nor be given access to the ACP.

I really hope that IPS will reconsider their position on this, as I can see many communities, especially gaming ones, taking advantages of the new functionality it would offer. Thank you :)

#13 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

I found this to be a happy medium.  Direct links to the tickets in the ACP with their proper titles.  It also links to the users Client Area to submit new replies to their own tickets.

ACP restrictions can be set up such that a 'support ticket' admin can ONLY access the Support Requests module within your ACP.  They wouldn't see any other tabs in your ACP other than Nexus > Support Requests.  

• Tarquin likes this

My Files and Support: aiwa.me

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Battlefield 4 Profile Integration -No Renewals (Sell trial memberships!) 

-Support Request Menu

#14 Tarquin

Tarquin

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

I found this to be a happy medium.  Direct links to the tickets in the ACP with their proper titles.  It also links to the users Client Area to submit new replies to their own tickets.

ACP restrictions can be set up such that a 'support ticket' admin can ONLY access the Support Requests module within your ACP.  They wouldn't see any other tabs in your ACP other than Nexus > Support Requests.  

As alternate solutions go, It isn't bad, but I still feel strongly towards a change in the core of nexus.

#15 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

You can always write your own module to do this.

My Files and Support: aiwa.me

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Battlefield 4 Profile Integration -No Renewals (Sell trial memberships!) 

-Support Request Menu

#16 Tarquin

Tarquin

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

My knowledge isn't as advanced as would be necessary to get anywhere near what would be expected.

The thing is I am not the only one saying this feature is necessary for such a system. Nexus is meant to be a highly dynamic system that covers the necessary functionality of a full support system. Necessity of ACP access for level 1 support staff is unreasonable, as many have agreed.

Simply saying "If you don't like it, make your own" is not constructive, I am trying to provide useful suggestions for improving a product where improvement is necessary. I really love Nexus, I have done since it was announced years ago before I even got to play with it, so I don't want to NOT use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users