Photo

what happens if I do a second conversion?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ogia

ogia

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Will the second conversion replace the data from the first conversion? How does this work? Can I run a second conversion and use that data to merge with the existing?

For example, my large forum takes 2-3 days to convert. While the conversion is running, I was thinking I could close everything down and reopen a single subforum where members could post in the mean time. Once the big conversion is done, I'd close everything down, convert the posts from that single subforum, then reopen at the new IPB site.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

#2 Sefket

Sefket

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Well, if your board is huge, just turn it offline and do the convert and tell your members you are working on the site.

This was the same position I was in a while back I think, I just turned off boards and converted it.

I convert, install IPB Boards, and more! Check my shop here.
Three important things for your website

#3 ogia

ogia

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm trying to avoid that. If I take the forum down for 3 days (or more), I'm going to give them a place to talk in the mean time. There are no guarantees I won't run into problems that increase the conversion time.

I'm wanting to know what happens if I run a second conversion. Does it replace the first one? I'm trying to understand 100% how this all works before I get started and so I can plan for the best option.

#4 ogia

ogia

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Please, does anyone know the answer to this question? :hmm:

#5 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,712 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

IIRC, doing a second conversion is like starting fresh, the imported rows are dumped, and the conversion starts from step 1 again.
  • Nevo likes this

#6 ogia

ogia

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thank you. I may try doing the second set of data on a fresh install. Then I'll have the mysql db for both and I can try to merge it later. No guarantees that will work, but better than zero chance of saving the posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users