5 replies to this topic

#1 PTD

PTD

IPB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm looking at Invision as an alternative to vBulletin/Xenforo. One of the things I really like about Xenforo is that you can have private conversations (aka private message) with multiple people. Does IPB have this, and if not is it a planned feature for future versions?

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,561 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yes, IP.Board allows you to have private conversations with more than one person.
  • PTD likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 PTD

PTD

IPB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. :)

#4 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

I'm looking at Invision as an alternative to vBulletin/Xenforo. One of the things I really like about Xenforo is that you can have private conversations (aka private message) with multiple people. Does IPB have this, and if not is it a planned feature for future versions?

It's been a feature since IPB 3.0 and you can read the blog entry about it here:
http://community.inv...-conversations/

If you decide to read it, you'll notice a mention about the early stages of private messaging on forums. :)
  • Rhett and PTD like this

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#5 PTD

PTD

IPB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

It's been a feature since IPB 3.0 and you can read the blog entry about it here:
http://community.inv...-conversations/

If you decide to read it, you'll notice a mention about the early stages of private messaging on forums. :smile:

Hmm, that is interesting. I'm kind of getting the impression that Xenforo just copied the feature from here.

#6 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hmm, that is interesting. I'm kind of getting the impression that Xenforo just copied the feature from here.

May have. But at the same time, different forum products will tend to adopt new ideas that each other come up with, if that new idea proves to be useful and well received. Keep in mind that the main brain behind XF is one of the former lead developers of vB. So he's not new to the world of forum software development. Not trying to sell you to him, just being fair about the information. My reason for pointing out about the history blurb is so you'd see how long Matt (one of the IPS founders) has been developing software and so you'd know that IPS comes up with some ideas/features that others tend to adopt. IPS develops quality products and it's why I've stuck with them over the years. Been nearly a decade for me. Before IPB, I was using ikonBoard, which I later learned was developed by Matt before he started developing IPB. I didn't switch because of him, I noticed ikonBoard wasn't getting updated and decided to look for another forum package and came across IPB and after using it for awhile, I learned both were developed by him and to me, that speaks volumes of the developer and the quality put into the product. Just some useless info but hope it gives you some confidence on any purchases you decide to make. :)
  • PTD likes this

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users