#1 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I currently use MyBB, and am looking to see if a few certain features and abilities are available in IPB.

Mods:
1. In the ACP, there are links to delete all of a member's posts, PMs, etc. Is there a way to execute all of those actions at once and also submit to the spam database?
2. Is there a virtual currency mod? I couldn't find one in Google or in the Marketplace.

Hooks, Modules, and Applications:
1. I guess the simplest way to ask is "How easy or simple is it to create a hook that makes a template change, adds something in the database (e.g. column, table), and adds settings to the ACP" even though that is heavily opinionated.

2. Is there any sort of API for integrating with custom-coded solutions? For example, fetch a member's details, like their avatar, email, etc?

ACP:
1. Is there a way to get rid of the pink? It's not bad, but it just doesn't exactly suit my tastes. IPB tends to shoot odd colors into themes ;).

Moderation:
1. I have made a few test posts in my IPB demo, and whenever I view the post, I only see IP: Private. How can I change it so that I can see it there instead of "Private"?

SEO:
1. MyBB had a great mod called "Google SEO" which built friendly URLs and stuff like that. However, if I move to IPB, I really need to be able to keep that URL structure. It is pretty similar ( hxxp://forum.tld/forum-example-forum or hxxp://forum.tld/thread-some-thread-title hxxp://forum.tld/user-username ). Is there an easy way to manage that transition, because the last thing I need is 100% 404s ;)!

Suggestions for IPB from my perspective:
1. The Marketplace is kind of unorganized, in my opinion. MyBB had great organization where they categorized mods by: Administration, Index, Moderation, Forum Display, Misc, and User Profiles. It made it very easy to find the type of mod that you want. The marketplace currently only has very basic categories and a search field. I haven't had much luck with finding mods that I would like, and the search function doesn't seem very... good, at least from the few searches I've done.

Thank you for reading this, and I would really appreciate it if I could get these answers! I apologize if these questions include ones that are really, really frequent or obvious, because it's not my intention to ask those types of things -- I just want to learn more about the software from the people that know it well!

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,676 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Mods:
1. In the ACP, there are links to delete all of a member's posts, PMs, etc. Is there a way to execute all of those actions at once and also submit to the spam database?
2. Is there a virtual currency mod? I couldn't find one in Google or in the Marketplace.

1) There is not a way to execute all of those links at once, no. However, you can configure the spam service to unapprove all of a user's posts when you mark them as a spammer, and addon applications can specify what to do with content in those applications when a user is marked as a spammer. You must configure the setting "Action to take when a member is flagged for spamming", and then this is executed automatically when you use the "Flag as Spam" links on the front end or in the ACP.

2) ibEconomy is a store/points/virtual currency addon. There may be others.

Hooks, Modules, and Applications:
1. I guess the simplest way to ask is "How easy or simple is it to create a hook that makes a template change, adds something in the database (e.g. column, table), and adds settings to the ACP" even though that is heavily opinionated.

2. Is there any sort of API for integrating with custom-coded solutions? For example, fetch a member's details, like their avatar, email, etc?

1) It depends on your understanding of our framework and your skillsets of course. You can easily create a hook file and then go to the Manage Hooks page of the ACP and add it. Then when you click to export the hook, you can specify database changes the hook should make when installing, and the settings to export and include with the hook when installing. The type of hook you are describing is relatively basic and easy to create, once you understand the process.

2) Yes, our developer documentation outlines many different things you can do, and our phpdocs explain all available methods.

http://community.inv...developers.html

ACP:
1. Is there a way to get rid of the pink? It's not bad, but it just doesn't exactly suit my tastes. IPB tends to shoot odd colors into themes ;).

You can modify the ACP CSS file, but it requires editing the file on disk. There are no settings or anything for this sort of thing.

Moderation:
1. I have made a few test posts in my IPB demo, and whenever I view the post, I only see IP: Private. How can I change it so that I can see it there instead of "Private"?

Administrator IP addresses are hidden on the front end, as you can use the IP address lookup tools in the ModCP or ACP if necessary.

SEO:
1. MyBB had a great mod called "Google SEO" which built friendly URLs and stuff like that. However, if I move to IPB, I really need to be able to keep that URL structure. It is pretty similar ( hxxp://forum.tld/forum-example-forum or hxxp://forum.tld/thread-some-thread-title hxxp://forum.tld/user-username ). Is there an easy way to manage that transition, because the last thing I need is 100% 404s ;)!

URLs for many software that you convert from can be redirected to the new URL in IP.Board. I recommend emailing sales@invisionpower.com to see if your URLs can be redirected or not (I'm afraid I'm not familiar with all of the ins and outs of the converter).

Suggestions for IPB from my perspective:
1. The Marketplace is kind of unorganized, in my opinion. MyBB had great organization where they categorized mods by: Administration, Index, Moderation, Forum Display, Misc, and User Profiles. It made it very easy to find the type of mod that you want. The marketplace currently only has very basic categories and a search field. I haven't had much luck with finding mods that I would like, and the search function doesn't seem very... good, at least from the few searches I've done.

The problem with organization as you describe, is that a great vast majority of addons submitted the marketplace would fall under two or more categories. Applications may add administrator areas, moderation functionality, pages in the modcp, tabs in the user profile, and hooks to the board index for instance. That's 5 out of the 6 categories you describe.

Thank you for the feedback nevertheless. :)
  • cloudy likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for all of that Brian. I see what you're saying about the organization. I just felt that it's a little scrambled. Oh well, it can be dealt with.

It only occurred to me this morning that I could edit the ACP CSS files to remove the pink :tongue: . That would be a pretty easy edit with developer tools in Firefox and Chrome, so that no longer worries me!

1) There is not a way to execute all of those links at once, no. However, you can configure the spam service to unapprove all of a user's posts when you mark them as a spammer, and addon applications can specify what to do with content in those applications when a user is marked as a spammer. You must configure the setting "Action to take when a member is flagged for spamming", and then this is executed automatically when you use the "Flag as Spam" links on the front end or in the ACP.

That makes me really sad. Maybe I'll have to figure out a way. I am guessing I could just add a section to the ACP, where it requests a username. Then it returns the user ID from a query. After that, it runs through each action semi-automatically (via redirects).

Administrator IP addresses are hidden on the front end, as you can use the IP address lookup tools in the ModCP or ACP if necessary.

I guess that makes sense. I shouldn't need to ban myself, and if I do, well...

2) ibEconomy is a store/points/virtual currency addon. There may be others.

I think I saw that in Google when I searched a few weeks ago. I must have worded my search different. Thanks for that link, though!

1) It depends on your understanding of our framework and your skillsets of course. You can easily create a hook file and then go to the Manage Hooks page of the ACP and add it. Then when you click to export the hook, you can specify database changes the hook should make when installing, and the settings to export and include with the hook when installing. The type of hook you are describing is relatively basic and easy to create, once you understand the process.

Yeah, that's what I meant by it being opinionated. From the developer docs, I think I can pick it up. It's a bit more sophisticated than what I typically see, but I can figure it out after time.
Regarding adding stuff to the DB and settings to the ACP, all of that is done on Export? I figured hooks were completely hand-coded. So is this not true in IPB?

From the above quote:

The type of hook you are describing is relatively basic and easy to create, once you understand the process.

I was mostly referring to the ease of applying each concept. But it sounds pretty simple!

By the way, I really like the Visual Skin editor. My Mac's Magic Mouse seems to glitch it though, because my mouse never stops dragging the colorpicker dot around. In other words, after I close the popup with the colorpicker, it will still change... I think that's my fault though ;).

I'm excited to see what you guys to with IPB 3.4 and 4.0. I am glad that you guys pay attention to the little SEO things. MyBB struggles with those benign keywords like "post" "topic" "thread", and they don't do anything about it, IMO.

If I can get the money together (IPB + Nexus + Blog + Gallery + Premium theme from Skinbox isn't exactly cheap), I think it's fairly likely I'll buy. I'll have to email sales about the URLs. I have a feeling they can convert because of how simple they are.

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,676 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant by it being opinionated. From the developer docs, I think I can pick it up. It's a bit more sophisticated than what I typically see, but I can figure it out after time.
Regarding adding stuff to the DB and settings to the ACP, all of that is done on Export? I figured hooks were completely hand-coded. So is this not true in IPB?

If you were creating a hook that had settings and database changes, for instance, what you would typically do is (usually on a development test site)

1) Manually code the hook PHP code
2) Simultaneously, as needed, add database changes to your database (and of course note the changes)
3) Add settings, as needed, via the ACP form
(All of the above you are manually adding/coding)
4) Once your hook is ready for use, you would then want to export it from your development site to import into your live site. During the export process, you can specify templates, language strings, settings, tasks, help files and other items to include with the export. You can also specify database changes that installing the hook should perform.

The end result is that you will have an XML file you downloaded from your development board. When you import this into your live board (or if you distribute it to clients through the marketplace, and they import it), the settings are automatically imported for them, the database changes are automatically made, and the hook PHP code is automatically installed. The developer does things manually. The end user does not (or, if you were just doing this for your own site, you do not need to do anything on your live site when you import the hook).

I hope that clarifies it a little.
  • cloudy likes this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#5 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

That makes much more sense. I like that system. How are language strings handled? Are they too stored in the database? I ask because MyBB uses a file system for languages and require()'s them in when needed.

Right now, I'm talking to my host about hosting. They have a limit on shared plans of 200 outgoing emails per hour. IPB sends quite a bit for thread subscriptions and stuff. I know that that can be disabled, but I think it's a great way to remind members of your forum (and I am proof). I'm looking at $65 or so per month for a starting website :sad:... Goodbye monthly allowance.

If I get that sorted, I'll be converting! I am still waiting on an email from Sales about my URL conversions. Oops, that email never sent.

PS: I am aware of the IPB hosting that you guys offer. I think it's a great service for most people, but I just like to have control of whatever server I am on ;).

#6 Martin A.

Martin A.

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

That makes much more sense. I like that system. How are language strings handled? Are they too stored in the database? I ask because MyBB uses a file system for languages and require()'s them in when needed.

They are stored in the database, and cached to the file system for quicker access. Same is done to the skin templates and CSS.
  • JHT100 likes this

#7 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Question: Which cache seems to work the best with IPB? xCache, eAccelerator (no longer developed), APC, or MMCache (which eAcc was forked from)?

#8 miraclesun

miraclesun

...i defy you, stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

If you don't want the pink ACP, you can download this blue one for free
http://community.inv...stration-panel/
  • JHT100 likes this

#9 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

If you don't want the pink ACP, you can download this blue one for free
http://community.inv...stration-panel/

Thanks for the link. It'll be nice just to tweak that instead of edit it from scratch.

#10 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,676 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Question: Which cache seems to work the best with IPB? xCache, eAccelerator (no longer developed), APC, or MMCache (which eAcc was forked from)?

I think most of our clients using alternate cache engines use xCache or APC.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#11 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

I think most of our clients using alternate cache engines use xCache or APC.

I've definitely heard good things about both before. I think APC will be my choice once I get my environment set up for IPB.

#12 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Another question: Does IPB play nice with MySQL 5.5+ ? I know that some stuff regarding query structure changed, so I was wondering, as I have heard that it improved performance on servers significantly.

Thanks!

#13 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,676 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I have not heard of any issues related to MySQL 5.5 specifically.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#14 JHT100

JHT100

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have not heard of any issues related to MySQL 5.5 specifically.

I figured the developers would have it under control, but I didn't want to have the mess to fix it. I didn't see anything in the tracker either.

New Question: Any issues with PHP 5.4?

#15 .Ian

.Ian

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hello,

There might be one or two minor issues with PHP 5.4, but these should all be resolved with the next update of the software.

It should not impact upon the running of the community.

Add Comet Chat to your community :smile:  

Non League UK

Play safe and purchase IP.Board from IPS! - click here to buy

Converting from Vbulletin, phpBB or another forum to IPB? Click here for the conversion service - it might be free!

IPS Hosting - click here for the prices & specifications. Some packages include a free version of IP.Board!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users