• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• +Clients
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Okay if you read the latest blog they are working on Gallery 5.0! yaya!! Well I'm for one glad to get some love to a part of our community that was way lacking of feature compare to the rest of IPS applications. With much interest I read over the blog and then came the seek peek. Yeah....huh? NOoooooooooooooooooo...same look just worst. Thus I will give IPS my input via visual so nothing is misunderstood. So let get going.

First of all I put together what the gallery would look like if it was not cut up as in the blog post.

The problem with the new gallery look so far is, it looks to much like a forums interface not a gallery. Also a second slider on the same page as it current set up is very ugly. One web standard of a webpage is to much stuff that get move is not always a good thing.

We would like a gallery that shows the user images pictures, so show us pictures!! :drool: YES Pictures!!! :wub: MUAHAahaaaaaa!!!! :rofl: Pictures. :wub: :sweat: :sorcerer:

So after all that then you get the FINAL ENDING! :D Which everybody loves :wub: I think. >_<

Thus in ending give your support or feedback on this idea for IPS to read to help make Gallery 5.0 better.

Note: Images uses from IPS Gallery 5.0 blog and Gallery on IPS website.
  • XiuzSu, AlexJ, NewRockRabbit and 6 others like this

#2 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

The problem with the new gallery look so far is, it looks to much like a forums interface not a gallery.

Yes, that's what the problem is. Thanks for putting it into words.

What you threw together isn't bad. I prefer things like pinterest though. Just show picture pictures pictures.
  • AlexJ likes this

#3 Darksbane0

Darksbane0

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

Did they ever stop forcing us to have ugly square cropped thumbnails? If so I might check this version of the gallery out.

#4 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

Did they ever stop forcing us to have ugly square cropped thumbnails? If so I might check this version of the gallery out.

My guess is we'll be forced to have square cropped thumbnails. Hope I'm proven wrong.

3DKiwi
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#5 Shadow82x

Shadow82x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

IMO, IPS should be striving for a layout something similar to http://wedge.org/do/media/
- Colin "Shadow82x" Blaber

Are you an Avatar Movie Fan?
Posted Image
New forum design. Avatar style.

#6 changeindia

changeindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

agreed with Zack :)

The forum things looks so bad, please don't include it :(

#7 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Am I the only person that likes the square thumbnails? :S I can understand why you don't want them forced on you, but I hope they don't disappear. They're useful for stuff like recent gallery images sliders.
  • Donkerrood, CallieJo, kotaco and 1 other like this

#8 joelle

joelle

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

I hope that IP.Gallery 5.0 will take use of the notification system. We want to know when someone commented on an uploaded picture.
  • tenaki, svit, Alfa1 and 4 others like this
- Virtual horse community
- My blog at invision
- My Photo Horse blog

#9 Breadfan

Breadfan

The gentle way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

The new look doesn't feel any special to me..I prefer the current look + Gallery 5 features.
  • joelle, svit, CallieJo and 1 other like this

#10 kotaco

kotaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

The new look doesn't feel any special to me..I prefer the current look + Gallery 5 features.

Same here, the look wasn't broken, just the functionality and usability, the biggest problem/headache for my users was the upload process, much more complicated than it should be.

I propose something more like this:

Attached File  g5.jpg   921.84KB   155 downloads

Incorporating a sidebar block feature for the gallery index to add and remove blocks to customize your gallery to your site and your preference, (also to allow for a skyscraper ad via nexus, I think some of us would enjoy that).

I think comments and the featured images should take the users first inital look then as you move down recent images and categories, then random images and other blocks.

I think along with the upload button there should be a link to manage the users albums and photos, people don't just use the gallery to look at pictures, many go there to try and manage theirs, why not help shortcut the process.

I think there should be a tad more ajax along with the single slider. For example:
Comments that scroll or what I'd rather: load the most recent of course, but allow you to scroll up or down to see earlier and back up to the current. With limits in place and the option to disable of course.
As well as random or recent images (from albums you choose, from one to all) you can scroll through because people like to click stuff and make things happen.

And of course allow the admin to decide how many photos to load per row and total and perhaps even thumbnail style on the gallery index.

Obviously thats a rough concept and just to help visualize but that's my .02
  • estan, joelle, svit and 8 others like this

#11 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• +Clients
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Same here, the look wasn't broken, just the functionality and usability, the biggest problem/headache for my users was the upload process, much more complicated than it should be.

Incorporating a sidebar block feature for the gallery index to add and remove blocks to customize your gallery to your site and your preference, (also to allow for a skyscraper ad via nexus, I think some of us would enjoy that).

I think comments and the featured images should take the users first inital look then as you move down recent images and categories, then random images and other blocks.

I think along with the upload button there should be a link to manage the users albums and photos, people don't just use the gallery to look at pictures, many go there to try and manage theirs, why not help shortcut the process.

I think there should be a tad more ajax along with the single slider. For example:
Comments that scroll or what I'd rather: load the most recent of course, but allow you to scroll up or down to see earlier and back up to the current. With limits in place and the option to disable of course.
As well as random or recent images (from albums you choose, from one to all) you can scroll through because people like to click stuff and make things happen.

And of course allow the admin to decide how many photos to load per row and total and perhaps even thumbnail style on the gallery index.

Yes and no. If you had many albums the listing for the albums was to long thus making a long page (i.e. two to three). Scrolling that much was a problem and should be address, I just made something up that may work. At this point I'm not really concern about ads but more of the gallery as a whole ads can come later, IMHO.
  • CallieJo likes this

#12 kotaco

kotaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yes and no. If you had many albums the listing for the albums was to long thus making a long page (i.e. two to three). Scrolling that much was a problem and should be address, I just made something up that may work. At this point I'm not really concern about ads but more of the gallery as a whole ads can come later, IMHO.

Well thats a non-index page issue that I had as well and I though it would be easily solved by showing the most recent images in each category and then a sidebar block with a definable list of recently updated albums with a cut off limit. To view older albums you can search tags or search by member, so searching so and so will bring up a list of their albums and you can choose which ot view from there.

#13 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• +Clients
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well thats a non-index page issue that I had as well and I though it would be easily solved by showing the most recent images in each category and then a sidebar block with a definable list of recently updated albums with a cut off limit. To view older albums you can search tags or search by member, so searching so and so will bring up a list of their albums and you can choose which ot view from there.

Maybe but a user want to go to a person's page then click gallery or just look for it in a the gallery? Users want usually the quick way to do things. Also the search function is let just say limited and needs improvement. Also you have to assume that the user name it what you are looking for in the tag, which is not always the case. So other view points to keep an a fix for later development.
  • The Nomad likes this

#14 kotaco

kotaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

Maybe but a user want to go to a person's page then click gallery or just look for it in a the gallery? Users want usually the quick way to do things. Also the search function is let just say limited and needs improvement. Also you have to assume that the user name it what you are looking for in the tag, which is not always the case. So other view points to keep an a fix for later development.

True but they'd still be able to do that via the browse button which would allow them to wade through a huge mess of albums or photos depending on what they are looking for one by one, same as with any other site or function, if you're looking for something old or archived it won't be with the recently added stuff, nor should it be. Such as when you have to wade through pages of topics to find the one you're looking for or posts within topics, or just use the search feature. It's just about fine-tuning.

And again, the definition of what a person wants for a gallery will vary from community to community from niche to niche. So what I think the focus should be on myself, is #1 function and ease of use, and then allowing as much customization as possible with the gallery.

#15 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• +Clients
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

True but they'd still be able to do that via the browse button which would allow them to wade through a huge mess of albums or photos depending on what they are looking for one by one, same as with any other site or function, if you're looking for something old or archived it won't be with the recently added stuff, nor should it be. Such as when you have to wade through pages of topics to find the one you're looking for or posts within topics, or just use the search feature. It's just about fine-tuning.

And again, the definition of what a person wants for a gallery will vary from community to community from niche to niche. So what I think the focus should be on myself, is #1 function and ease of use, and then allowing as much customization as possible with the gallery.

Ahh same problem tho people don't want to browser through the whole gallery sometimes, you get the same issue. Again the current search don't come up with many images when you search. I think function and ease of use are the same.

#16 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Great job. I love it.
  • Mikey B likes this

#17 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• +Clients
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Great job. I love it.

Love it but you still need the Global Albums and such.

#18 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Love it but you still need the Global Albums and such.

They're right there on the side...global albums are called categories now.

#19 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I would think you could disable the recent image area bellow, but this all supports my:

"People know what to expect from something like downloads or user blogs, but a gallery can mean any sort of ways of displaying images to someone."
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something." - Woodrow Wilson
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - Orlando A. Battista
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

#20 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,696 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

They're right there on the side...global albums are called categories now.

That may work for small sites... the 'Categories' or 'albums' in one nastily long list in the sidebar is not helpful when one has a large amount of albums at all(the page stretches to infinity).... and was never a good idea IMHO in the first place.
You do not see this here on IPB as they only have 4 Top-level 'albums'/'categories'... that list does not limit nor paginate... shoot me, but what is shown for 5 for these is about a million times more scalable.
  • AlexJ, CallieJo, Gamorreaner and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users