Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

suggestion block specified forums from VNC

6 posts in this topic

Posted

add a setting in user control panel to allow blocking specified forums/subforums from VNC.
lot of boards have forums using rss imports that are updated often, many members don't want to see those in VNC.
a setting in UCP would work better than the sort/filter method currently in VNC now.

Posted

It's already built-in. If you go to System Settings in your ACP, then go to 'System' > 'Search Set-Up'. There you will find the setting: 'View new posts: block forums' where you can select the forums that will not show up in the VNC.

Posted

In fact, even the user-facing stuff exists already: you can use the "Filter by forum" option to show the results from just the forums you are interested in. It's basically essential use here, IMO: I don't want to see all the stuff being spewed out of the Downloads forum, and I don't own most of the applications so don't care about them.

Posted

[quote name='Donkerrood' timestamp='1341429930' post='2283641']
It's already built-in. If you go to System Settings in your ACP, then go to 'System' > 'Search Set-Up'. There you will find the setting: 'View new posts: block forums' where you can select the forums that will not show up in the VNC.

thats global, blocks it for everyone.
I am suggesting user have a choice.
[quote name='eGullet' timestamp='1341431510' post='2283652']
In fact, even the user-facing stuff exists already: you can use the "Filter by forum" option to show the results from just the forums you are interested in. It's basically essential use here, IMO: I don't want to see all the stuff being spewed out of the Downloads forum, and I don't own most of the applications so don't care about them.

works until you clear cookies, or at least when I do I always have to reset that.

Posted

[quote name='Dmacleo' timestamp='1341437392' post='2283680']
works until you clear cookies, or at least when I do I always have to reset that.

Right, this preference is stored in a cookie. I think Invision has some logic that they use to determine what kind of preferences are stored in cookies and what gets added to the DB, but I can't remember what it is.

Posted

TBH that works ok for most, but a UCP controlled setting is more of a permanent (for user) setting that could be easier to use.