As a happy customer of IP's products, I've managed to convince a large forum (1.35 million posts, 125k users) that I work closely with to switch away from SMF to something more stable and robust like IPB.
I've been running a converter locally on a recent db backup to iron out any kinks and I have a few comments / questions. Feel free to move to the suggestions forum if you feel that is more appropriate.
- Custom Profile Fields - Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'pf_show_on_reg' at row 1
mySQL query error: INSERT INTO pfields_data (`pf_title`,`pf_desc`,`pf_content`,`pf_type`,`pf_not_null`,`pf_member_hide`,`pf_max_input`,`pf_member_edit`,`pf_show_on_reg`,`pf_admin_only`,`pf_group_id`,`pf_key`) VALUES('Real name','Let everybody know what your actual name is.','','input',0,0,255,1,'',0,6,'realnam')I was able to manually run the query with a 0 instead of an empty string which solved this.
- However, shouldn't the converter know what field type this is and if it doesn't match, change it to a default value?
- Members, a lot of avatars have disappeared over the years. After about 12k members I'd run into a problem where the converter was logging all of the errors in one row in the DB. Naturally, this became a very large string and even with a longtext column for the values, it'd overflow. I had 2 things I had to do to fix this:
- Comment out all avatar-related error logging within the converter
- Empty out the last run .cgi files in the cache folder.
- Why is it logging to the DB when it already has a log (and uses it) on the filesystem?
- why is there no way to disable logging to the DB if we're forced to use it?
- Topics - I just woke up to unfortunately, yet another error. I admit this is more of a problem from SMF, because they are stupid enough to allow this... but,
mySQL query error: INSERT INTO topics (`title`,`start_date`,`pinned`,`forum_id`,`starter_id`,`starter_name`,`last_poster_id`,`poll_state`,`posts`,`views`,`state`,`topic_queuedposts`,`approved`,`title_seo`) VALUES('&#3592;&#3635;&#3627;&#3609;&#3656;&#3634;&#3618; &#3623;&#3633;&#3605;&#3606;&#3640;&#3604;&#3636;&#3610;,&#3629;&#3640;&#3611;&#3585;&#3619;&#3603;&#3660;&#3627;&#3609;&#3633;&#3591;&#3648;&#3607;&#3637;&#3618;&#3617; &#3592;&#3640;&#3658;&#3610;&#3605;',1303292423,0,33,218433,'Add9300',217242,'',2,10,'open',0,1,'-') SQL error: Data too long for column 'title' at row 1 SQL error code: 1406
- Why no check against the length of the title if you're already running it in PHP?
- No option to truncate?
- No option to pick up at the last error?
This is as far as I've gotten with the conversion (haven't touched posts, polls, PMs, attachments, ban filters or warning logs yet). Frankly, it isn't helping me make the best case to convert for the others
Has anybody done a large conversion like this, and ran into similar problems / has advice for moving forward?