#1 MisterPhilip

MisterPhilip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi All -

As a happy customer of IP's products, I've managed to convince a large forum (1.35 million posts, 125k users) that I work closely with to switch away from SMF to something more stable and robust like IPB.

I've been running a converter locally on a recent db backup to iron out any kinks and I have a few comments / questions. Feel free to move to the suggestions forum if you feel that is more appropriate.

When converting...
  • Custom Profile Fields - Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'pf_show_on_reg' at row 1
    mySQL query error: INSERT INTO pfields_data (`pf_title`,`pf_desc`,`pf_content`,`pf_type`,`pf_not_null`,`pf_member_hide`,`pf_max_input`,`pf_member_edit`,`pf_show_on_reg`,`pf_admin_only`,`pf_group_id`,`pf_key`) VALUES('Real name','Let everybody know what your actual name is.','','input',0,0,255,1,'',0,6,'realnam')
    I was able to manually run the query with a 0 instead of an empty string which solved this.
    • However, shouldn't the converter know what field type this is and if it doesn't match, change it to a default value?
  • Members, a lot of avatars have disappeared over the years. After about 12k members I'd run into a problem where the converter was logging all of the errors in one row in the DB. Naturally, this became a very large string and even with a longtext column for the values, it'd overflow. I had 2 things I had to do to fix this:
    • Comment out all avatar-related error logging within the converter
    • Empty out the last run .cgi files in the cache folder.
    My questions / suggestions:
    • Why is it logging to the DB when it already has a log (and uses it) on the filesystem?
    • why is there no way to disable logging to the DB if we're forced to use it?
  • Topics - I just woke up to unfortunately, yet another error. I admit this is more of a problem from SMF, because they are stupid enough to allow this... but,
    mySQL query error: INSERT INTO topics (`title`,`start_date`,`pinned`,`forum_id`,`starter_id`,`starter_name`,`last_poster_id`,`poll_state`,`posts`,`views`,`state`,`topic_queuedposts`,`approved`,`title_seo`) VALUES('จำหน่าย วัตถุดิบ,อุปกรณ์หนังเทียม จุ๊บต',1303292423,0,33,218433,'Add9300',217242,'',2,10,'open',0,1,'-')

SQL error: Data too long for column 'title' at row 1
    SQL error code: 1406
    • Why no check against the length of the title if you're already running it in PHP?
    • No option to truncate?
    • No option to pick up at the last error?

This is as far as I've gotten with the conversion (haven't touched posts, polls, PMs, attachments, ban filters or warning logs yet). Frankly, it isn't helping me make the best case to convert for the others :(

Has anybody done a large conversion like this, and ran into similar problems / has advice for moving forward?

#2 Sefket

Sefket

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

That's very odd. I barely had any issues converting a 2GB+ database. If you want I can give it a try tomorrow .

I convert, install IPB Boards, and more! Check my shop here.
Three important things for your website

#3 MisterPhilip

MisterPhilip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, I had a few more type cast conversion issues when finishing it up. Placing an (int) in front of a few of the items seemed to work OK.

Sefket - you came from SMF? Which version (1.X or 2.0) if I might ask?

#4 Sefket

Sefket

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, I had a few more type cast conversion issues when finishing it up. Placing an (int) in front of a few of the items seemed to work OK.

Sefket - you came from SMF? Which version (1.X or 2.0) if I might ask?

One of my forums was SMF. 1X

#5 MisterPhilip

MisterPhilip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Ahh, I'm coming from 2.0.2 - I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I guess I need to open up a few bug reports ;)

#6 MisterPhilip

MisterPhilip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

As an update, I've put a these in the tracker and included optional solutions / workarounds in the event that anybody else needs them and IPS cannot update the scripts fast enough.
I also ran across another error, duplicate members will result in an SQL error upon updating the post count. Workaround included in the ticket.

I'm really glad I tested this locally before trying the real deal! ;)
  • lordi likes this

#7 Sefket

Sefket

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

As an update, I've put a these in the tracker and included optional solutions / workarounds in the event that anybody else needs them and IPS cannot update the scripts fast enough.

I also ran across another error, duplicate members will result in an SQL error upon updating the post count. Workaround included in the ticket.

I'm really glad I tested this locally before trying the real deal! ;)

Great job on that :)! Let's hope they fix this soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users