• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ocean West

Ocean West

I've got an idea!

• +Clients
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

It would be nice if the system would generate a favicon from a stored image OR that the updates distributions should rename the favicon.ico to something else so as not to overwrite the settings every time.
  • Haku2 and svit like this
Founder & Administrator FMForums.com
Worldwide FileMaker Community

#2 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

Thats why you delete the favicon in root and admincp when you re-download the update/bugfixes
  • abney317 likes this

I am a 16-year (as of July 14 2012) old freelancer web-deisgner, that took interest in IPS's IP.Board, IP.Content, IP.Blog, and IP.SEO and nothing more. I just randomly go through files find bugs associated with it (Finding bugs in the Bug Tracker), then attempting to fix them myself with my 16-year old brain's capacity. This is what I call fun, what about you? If you think what I do at my age is weird then deal with it. I don't care what you think. I answer all PM's through MSN (and Invisionpower too now). I'm also a part-time app developer for Windows 8 - basically meaning I make apps and check for bugs between Windows 8 and the apps. (Other company's apps too). You needn't worry about why im an outsider doing things like this, I just like to do things randomly because it's fun.
----------------------

Last Updated --

#3 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

That seems like a lot of effort for a tiny file you can just upload to your server :)
  • Kyle. likes this

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

#4 Ocean West

Ocean West

I've got an idea!

• +Clients
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

But charles its' the tiny things that show you care ;)
  • IPS_Fan and svit like this

#5 Christian M.

Christian M.

Advanced Member

• Previous Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

That seems like a lot of effort for a tiny file you can just upload to your server :smile:

That's just a sign saying that you are lazy, would just want everything to be automated?

I am a 16-year (as of July 14 2012) old freelancer web-deisgner, that took interest in IPS's IP.Board, IP.Content, IP.Blog, and IP.SEO and nothing more. I just randomly go through files find bugs associated with it (Finding bugs in the Bug Tracker), then attempting to fix them myself with my 16-year old brain's capacity. This is what I call fun, what about you? If you think what I do at my age is weird then deal with it. I don't care what you think. I answer all PM's through MSN (and Invisionpower too now). I'm also a part-time app developer for Windows 8 - basically meaning I make apps and check for bugs between Windows 8 and the apps. (Other company's apps too). You needn't worry about why im an outsider doing things like this, I just like to do things randomly because it's fun.
----------------------

Last Updated --

#6 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I want this as well.

#7 steve00

steve00

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

Thats why you delete the favicon in root and admincp when you re-download the update/bugfixes

That seems like a lot of effort for a tiny file you can just upload to your server :smile:

Got to agree ... how hard is it to remove that when you download the updates ... so easy

Now if IPS could get its software to make a cuppa while the upgrader is running then that would be more useful ... lol
  • stetye and TaffyCaffy like this

==================================================================================

If you like my answer or it solves your question then please mark my reply as 'Like' or 'Best Answer' 

==================================================================================

Video Tutorials: Change Primary Nav Links - Import 3.4.x skin

World Clock Hook - Member's local time, and time in up to 6 cities around the world

Having trouble upgrading your skins, we can upgrade your IPB skins for you - PM me for further info.

My IPB 3.4.6 Skins: NEW BurningSky - Cobolt - Cerulean - ChritmasTime - Christmas - NOTE: ALL OUR 3.4.5 Skins work with 3.4.6 & require no changes

My IPB 3.4.5 Skins: GreenTheme - BlueSwirl - BlueWaveBlueToneRed Theme - RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.4 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.3 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone

My IPB 3.4.2 Skins: RedBase

My IPB 3.4.1 Skins (ONLY $10 EACH): Red GlassGoldenTheme - Scarletise - Purple Grain - GrimsonGrey - ViridisAureus - Red Devil - Carbonise

#8 frankjohnson8

frankjohnson8

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Hatsu

Hatsu

Forsaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

Just remove write permissions for favicon in your root and acp folder and it won't be overwritten everytime and you don't have to bother anymore.
  • Mark, Heyhoe, Ocean West and 1 other like this
@gerdgrossmann

Posted Image

Want to track bugs in your projects?
The Tracker App
TracDown

#10 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,502 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

Just remove write permissions for favicon in your root and acp folder and it won't be overwritten everytime and you don't have to bother anymore.

Exactly. I was reading to see if anyone else had mentioned this.

Remove the permissions on all files that need to remain unchanged. favicon.ico in both root and ACP locations and also the emoticons (at least any custom ones that are using the same name as one of the default emoticon images). Since I rename my ACP folder, I have the folder 'admin' set to deny writing permissions. So if I forget to rename the folder, it won't mess me up.

Of course the other option is to redirect the calling of favicon.ico to use a different file. Could have it call on a script that picks a random image so different people see different site icons or might appear to change every few days. Could get someones attention and have them coming back to see when it'll change again.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#11 Kyle.

Kyle.

Behold my darkness as I shun upon you.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

ABSOLUTELY agreed. ;) All you need to do is create one of your own, then upload as Charles said. It can't get any simplistic than that. :P

dng_banner.png

#12 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

I just delete it before uploading.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something." - Woodrow Wilson
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - Orlando A. Battista
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

#13 rbiss

rbiss

Mushroom Tea Party

• +Clients
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

I think Charles should make a complete application. Put everything on hold and begin IP.Favicon.
  • IPS_Fan and Feld0 like this

#14 Ocean West

Ocean West

I've got an idea!

• +Clients
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

thanks for the suggestions - by no means was I suggesting that we divert resources to develop favicon management. ;)

I just mean that it's just another feather in IPS' hat of how much better they are then the competition. - one more item they
can add to the marketing bullet point list.

- Agree that its a simple thing - but depending on my level of caffeine it may go un noticed for several days and when i do
upgrade i don't always do it from my main machine, and may not have my punch list of things to remember.

I have removed permissions on the ico file and in addition i have also uploaded a duplicate - or a backup file that has a name
that won't' be overwritten just incase :)
  • rbiss likes this

#15 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,684 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

I just mean that it's just another feather in IPS' hat of how much better they are then the competition. - one more item they
can add to the marketing bullet point list.

I don't have strong opinions on the suggestion, but something tells me "uploading the upgrade pack won't overwrite your favicon" is sadly not something that could be added to any sort of marketing bullet point list. Something tells me, most clients would glaze over that and not care. :P
  • TaffyCaffy and Brett L like this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#16 .Brian

.Brian

Needs Hobby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think favicons all together should be removed.
  • Misi and TaffyCaffy like this

#17 Misi

Misi

Spam is good!

• +Clients
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I think favicons all together should be removed.

Correct.
Put your own if you wish to have one.
This signature is not a signature!

#18 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,502 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Correct.
Put your own if you wish to have one.

I think Brian meant to remove them completely, not just from the IPB package.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#19 IPS_Fan

IPS_Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

I think Charles should make a complete application. Put everything on hold and begin IP.Favicon.

:lol:
Click here to download a great hook for board administrators. It allows the staff (of your choice) to send PMs to a given user group, while preventing members of that same group from sending PMs to members of other user groups on your site. I requested this for this hook to be made, to prevent New Members from sending PMs (Read: SPAM) to my active, seasoned members. Thanks to the coder who authored it, PeterUK!

Do you need someone to optimize your VPS? Of course you do. Do not trust the techs at your host to know what they are doing. I speak from experience here, believe me. Anyway, Gary., the "VPS Guru", is member here. Gary. comes highly recommended by me and others - on - this site. You will not regret getting Gary. to optimize your VPS.

#20 Ocean West

Ocean West

I've got an idea!

• +Clients
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

But it's not just the favicon what about apple -touch-icon and ability to save safari shortcut to the springboard

http://gigaom.com/ap...-for-web-sites/
  • xAlien95 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users