Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Payment/Blog/Site Designing Questions

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello. I'm going to be taking up the $10 per month plan for IP board (Later upgrading when I need it). I have a few questions I'd like to ask first.

1. Can only 10 users be online at once, or can there only be 10 users online within 48 hours? I don't understand which they meant.

2. If I do go over the limit accidently but then the amount of users I have is 10 or less from there onwards, can I switch back to the lower package?

3. Is it easy to style the site? e.g. if I wanted to change the background to a custom background, could I do it easily? Can I also replace 'new post, old post, new topic' etc images easily? I have no web coding skills to manually code these.

4. Can I make it so that when you visit my site, you get redirected to the blog first instead of the forums?

5. Can I make my blog & forums look like this easily? www.sonicstadium.org

Thanks.

Posted

1. Its taken as an average over I think 48 hours, there's nothing actually in the code to lock it at x members (or guests) online.

2. As far as I understand it, the package gets upgraded however you can upgrade / downgrade quite easily anyway. A staff member will be able to tell you if this happens automatically immediately (if the 48 hour average is high) or if its done at the billing cycle time.

3. Yes there's the visual skin editor as well as a large amount of premade skins both free and paid on the Marketplace here. There's also a Skinning / Design forum and subforums for questions where other clients will be able to assist you.

4. Yes a very small edit / additional file is needed to do this, you can usually have almost any application as the default one.

5. That to me looks like a custom front page with IPContent. :smile: It depends on your design ability to create specific designs for pages. Having said that if you have not already please try the Demo as the default IPContent may not be too far off what you wanted.

Posted

Thanks. I have two more questions.

I currently already have a .com domain that I'd like to use. I read that it gives you a sub-domain and then asks you to contact technical support. How long would that take? Do they respond easily? I don't want to be on the phone with them for several hours costing a fortune :/

Also, I read something about back ups. If I were to buy an IP license in the future, could I back up all the stuff I currently have on my site and then in a few months switch to my own custom hosting and put my old data on it? What does the back ups send you? The files that would be in the FTP folder?

I've also tried out the demo, and I really like it. Though I can't see an option to change the background to a graphic. Just colour changing.

Posted

You're welcome. :)

1. Yes its quite straightforward, typically you'd sign up and use one of the supplied subdomains (such as boardname.invisionzone.com) and then raise a ticket asking for your own domain to be added. You need to make a small change at your DNS panel, typically just change the nameservers over and an IPS tech will add your 'real' URL to the server itself. It won't be done via the phone though, just via the ticket system.

As far as I gather the original (boardname.invisionzone.com) would still work so you'd not be shut out of your community awaiting a DNS propagation. I'm basing this on a friends board who recently switched from an invisionzone subdomain to her own domain name, once I'd adjusted a couple of DNS settings it was pretty quick. A staff member will be able to clarify the correct procedure for you if you are in doubt.

2. Yes, although you'd have to replace the hosted community files with the self hosted ones as they will not function on a non-IPS server. Apart from that they are the same, then its just a simple matter of exporting / importing the database. Backups are two part in effect, the filesystem and the database.

3. I'm not a designer. :) However you could tweak the css to add a background image quite easily, various skins in the Marketplace have a background image.