• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kirito

Kirito

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

You generally don't want to let users give themselves reputation, right?

Well, have you ever noticed that you can rate your own threads here?

It's not a bug, but I am in support of preventing users from doing this.

Or maybe you could just change the vote to "1 star" whenever a user tries to give their own thread a 5 star rating.

I offer technical support and server installation/optimization services for IP.Board, Nginx, MariaDB, Sphinx, and more

If you're in need of such services, please feel free to send me a personal message!

#2 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

I disagree. I don't really have users who use the thread ratings, but I like to give stuff ratings so they show up in the metadata.

#3 esquire

esquire

esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

Should definitely be an option otherwise consistently abused.

#4 Kirito

Kirito

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

I disagree. I don't really have users who use the thread ratings, but I like to give stuff ratings so they show up in the metadata.

Well, that's kind of an abuse of the function. It's not intended to allow you to promote 5 star ratings on all your threads to search engines, it's meant to allow your members to rate your threads.

Definitely not insulting you for doing it, though I may not personally be in favor of it, just saying "that's not its primary purpose."

But I agree that keeping this as a setting may be the best option.

I offer technical support and server installation/optimization services for IP.Board, Nginx, MariaDB, Sphinx, and more

If you're in need of such services, please feel free to send me a personal message!

#5 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

Well I don't give stuff five stars really. :S

Actually I hardly ever do ratings as it is..generally I forget. When I do do it though it's because of the metadata.

Honestly I would just get rid of thread ratings entirely. The whole 1-5 rating system is pretty outdated. These days it's just like or dislike anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users