4 replies to this topic

#1 paulsid

paulsid

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hi,

Have been running on a free hosted phpBB3 board which has around 8000 posts, however they don't provide access to the DB or any method where you can back it up.

I plan on setting up some logic and screen scraping the site including posts and members into excel or XML format, so I can related each post to a member along with order of post.

The issue I have is as invision doesn't have an XML import option, how do I bridge the gap and get the data/posts into a format that I can then import into my hosted IPS board?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,696 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hi,

Have been running on a free hosted phpBB3 board which has around 8000 posts, however they don't provide access to the DB or any method where you can back it up.

I plan on setting up some logic and screen scraping the site including posts and members into excel or XML format, so I can related each post to a member along with order of post.

The issue I have is as invision doesn't have an XML import option, how do I bridge the gap and get the data/posts into a format that I can then import into my hosted IPS board?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

develop a script that reads the xml format and inserts the data..... I am afraid I cannot offer further as I have no idea of how that scraped xml would be structured, or how many things would have to be pushed through for lack of data... I can say that will not be easy.

#3 MisterPhilip

MisterPhilip

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

I'd strongly suggest contacting the host and seeing if they can provide a backup. Sometimes it will cost a few $$, but in the end it'll save you a lot of grief compared to trying to scrape / import via XML/CSV

#4 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hmm.

http://www.phpbb.com...?f=65&t=1761395

Try converting phpbb3 to phpbb3 and then to ipb.
  • Marcher Technologies likes this

#5 paulsid

paulsid

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

This looks LEGEN DARY! will look into this further and report back!

Thank you

Hmm.

http://www.phpbb.com...?f=65&t=1761395

Try converting phpbb3 to phpbb3 and then to ipb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users