Import from excel or XML into IPS?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Have been running on a free hosted phpBB3 board which has around 8000 posts, however they don't provide access to the DB or any method where you can back it up.

I plan on setting up some logic and screen scraping the site including posts and members into excel or XML format, so I can related each post to a member along with order of post.

The issue I have is as invision doesn't have an XML import option, how do I bridge the gap and get the data/posts into a format that I can then import into my hosted IPS board?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Posted

[quote name='paulsid' timestamp='1343016340' post='2289985']
Hi,

Have been running on a free hosted phpBB3 board which has around 8000 posts, however they don't provide access to the DB or any method where you can back it up.

I plan on setting up some logic and screen scraping the site including posts and members into excel or XML format, so I can related each post to a member along with order of post.

The issue I have is as invision doesn't have an XML import option, how do I bridge the gap and get the data/posts into a format that I can then import into my hosted IPS board?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

develop a script that reads the xml format and inserts the data..... I am afraid I cannot offer further as I have no idea of how that scraped xml would be structured, or how many things would have to be pushed through for lack of data... I can say that will not be easy.

Posted

I'd strongly suggest contacting the host and seeing if they can provide a backup. Sometimes it will cost a few $$, but in the end it'll save you a lot of grief compared to trying to scrape / import via XML/CSV

Posted

Hmm.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1761395

Try converting phpbb3 to phpbb3 and then to ipb.

Posted

This looks LEGEN DARY! will look into this further and report back!

Thank you

[quote name='Lucy Heartfilia' timestamp='1343069951' post='2290166']
Hmm.

http://www.phpbb.com...?f=65&t=1761395

Try converting phpbb3 to phpbb3 and then to ipb.