Photo
- - - - -

About to purchase but looking for some Mods.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dalben

dalben

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

We're close to purchasing an IPB licence for the forum, content, blogs and nexus.

A couple of questions I have unanswered (i'm sure the answers are somewhere in the forum but it's taking a bit of time)

1. The default home page doesn't have to be the forum if I am right. I can be a specific Content Page or front page with the appropiate widgets i want. Correct ? The url can be http://mydomain.com ?

2. Is there built in, or a mod, that allows me to configure a pre-made post template whenever a new thread is started. i.e. we have a Recipes subforum where every thread starts with a predecribed posting template. Is this available ?

3. Ad management. Is this built in ? If so does it allow the rectangle (say 300x250) to be included in the porst post ? Or are the positions more banner related between header and posts ?

4. Is there the ability to mark a thread Unread ?

5. Are mobile themes dependent on the theme we use or is a mobile theme inherent in IPB ?

6. Does IPB allow easy Excel or MS Word c ut and past retaining the basic formatting ? Or are there Mods that make it easier ? I'd love to be able to maintain a table in Excel and just update an IPB page easily when needed.

7. Is there a mod, or built-in widget, that will display today's birthdays ?

8. I have extensive PHPBB and VB experience. What are the main differences about IPB that will possibly frustrate me ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,639 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

1) If you purchase IP.Content, you can use it to create a frontpage, yes. You can run IP.Content at the root of your domain and your forums in a subfolder or subdomain if you like, or run everything from the root of your domain and still let IP.Content serve the homepage.

2) This is not built in. I am unsure if a mod exists for it, however you can check here: http://community.inv...ower.com/files/

3) The default ad-banner functionality built in allows you to place basic banners in a few places on your board. IP.Nexus features enhanced ad-banner management if this is something you require.

4) This is not possible by default I'm afraid.

5) The mobile skin provided with IP.Board is a function of the software itself and not an addon. It is loaded automatically based on the user-agent (browser) visiting the page. You can modify the mobile skin in the ACP.

6) There is a clipboard button on the editor with a "W" icon over it that allows you to paste content from MS Word. I do not believe it will carry over excel pastes in an easily readable format, however. I would recommend testing it to see if it will work for you.

7) This is built in to the software. It can be enabled in the ACP.

8) This is hard to answer as everyone's needs and expectations are different. You will find the ACP to be different, however the majority of our clients consider that a plus. My best recommendation is to try out the online demo and see if anything stands out as potentially being a problem for how you wish to use the software. :)

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

1) Yes. IP.Content as your homepage and you can make it whatever youw ant.
2) .... Not sure....
3) Yup, built in. Not included IN the post, but you can get it after the first post, I think...
4) Don't think so..
5) Mobile skin is a seperate skin that is only given to mobile browsers.. It will remain the same regardless of your default PC skin.
6) ... Never tried it...
7) Yup, IP.Content has that built in. Just style it how you like.
8) Haven't used either of those two in almost a decade. So my opinion would be biased.. :)

You should try out the demo. Get your hands in the Admin Control Panel, etc. You can't upload anything... But it's a good look...

If you want to be able to upload things and really test drive it... Get a Basic 10 subscription for a month and go to town. :)

My Files and Support: aiwa.me

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Battlefield 4 Profile Integration -No Renewals (Sell trial memberships!) 

-Support Request Menu

#4 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,746 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

2)
http://community.inv...emplate-system/

#5 dalben

dalben

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

1) If you purchase IP.Content, you can use it to create a frontpage, yes. You can run IP.Content at the root of your domain and your forums in a subfolder or subdomain if you like, or run everything from the root of your domain and still let IP.Content serve the homepage.

Cheers. I have a demo board setup, where exactly would I find those settings ?
built in. I am unsure if a mod exists for it, however you can check here: http://community.inv...ower.com/files/

3) The default ad-banner functionality built in allows you to place basic banners in a few places on your board. IP.Nexus features enhanced ad-banner management if this is something you require.

I'll have a look at Nexus, thanks

4) This is not possible by default I'm afraid.

It seems no one has this functionality. It's something the mods have asked for. To be able to see a post that they want to get back to later but they have no really easy way of flagging it as such.

5) The mobile skin provided with IP.Board is a function of the software itself and not an addon. It is loaded automatically based on the user-agent (browser) visiting the page. You can modify the mobile skin in the ACP.

Thanks.

6) There is a clipboard button on the editor with a "W" icon over it that allows you to paste content from MS Word. I do not believe it will carry over excel pastes in an easily readable format, however. I would recommend testing it to see if it will work for you.

I saw there is a BBCODE for table mod available. I might look at that and a custom script to convert it to bbcode.

7) This is built in to the software. It can be enabled in the ACP.

Cool.

1) Yes. IP.Content as your homepage and you can make it whatever youw ant.
2) .... Not sure....
3) Yup, built in. Not included IN the post, but you can get it after the first post, I think...
4) Don't think so..
5) Mobile skin is a seperate skin that is only given to mobile browsers.. It will remain the same regardless of your default PC skin.
6) ... Never tried it...
7) Yup, IP.Content has that built in. Just style it how you like.
8) Haven't used either of those two in almost a decade. So my opinion would be biased.. :smile:

Thanks

2)
http://community.inv...emplate-system/

It's a bit heavier / feature rich then what I was thinking of but it certainly fits the bill. I couldn't find a demo board or screen shots of the finished product. I'd like to try it out if possible.

I have a demo board up now and I reckon learning the new Admin CP might be my biggest challenge, but so far I think this dabble into IPB may not be my last one.

#6 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,639 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Cheers. I have a demo board setup, where exactly would I find those settings ?

This has to be done at the server level (either by uploading an index.php to the domain root or other folder you want IP.Content to run from, or by modifying a configuration file). As such, it is not something you can test on our hosted demo I'm afraid.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#7 dalben

dalben

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

This has to be done at the server level (either by uploading an index.php to the domain root or other folder you want IP.Content to run from, or by modifying a configuration file). As such, it is not something you can test on our hosted demo I'm afraid.

OK, so there is no way to test this until I purchase a licence, is that correct ?

Another question regarding the setting up a test board, testing the conversion and then migrating.

In an ideal world I'd like to take a snapshot of our current DB, run the import and see what comes across and what doesn't. Then once I've made changes that would need to be changed, like groups, permission sets, permissions, avatar/profile rules etc etc etc, I'd like to save all those settings I made, delete the test install, and restart a live migration from scratch.

Is there a way to save all the settings and changes I make and reapply them on a new instance of IPB ?

If not, if I re-run the import on a board I have already imported, will it try to re-import everything again or does it have the smarts to just take a delta ?

#8 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,639 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

OK, so there is no way to test this until I purchase a licence, is that correct ?

There is no way to test running IP.Content from a different directory (e.g. the domain root, with the forums in a subfolder) on the demo system, correct. It is possible and a core feature however, I assure you. :) A large majority of our users run IP.Content in this manner.

Another question regarding the setting up a test board, testing the conversion and then migrating.

In an ideal world I'd like to take a snapshot of our current DB, run the import and see what comes across and what doesn't. Then once I've made changes that would need to be changed, like groups, permission sets, permissions, avatar/profile rules etc etc etc, I'd like to save all those settings I made, delete the test install, and restart a live migration from scratch.

Is there a way to save all the settings and changes I make and reapply them on a new instance of IPB ?

If not, if I re-run the import on a board I have already imported, will it try to re-import everything again or does it have the smarts to just take a delta ?

If you convert, set up permissions, and then reconvert, any changes would be wiped out and you would need to reconfigure them after reimporting. Some settings are not part of the conversion (for instance, your URLs, or your search configuration), however group settings and permissions are tied to groups, and would be wiped out when reconverting.

I am unsure if the converter offers a delta-option or not. I recommend emailing sales@invisionpower.com to find out for sure.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users