• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Please Support the soft-delete functionality for gallery fully.(images and comments)... Is quite useful for many to have that paper trail(and some actually turn off the task removing deleted content and do not want ANYTHING Deleted) rather than delete actually meaning delete from system immediately.
  • AndyF, makcode, TaffyCaffy and 1 other like this

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Soft-delete would have to be built into the central comments system.

All applications use a single comments framework. If it doesn't have soft-delete, none of the apps have soft-delete. Similarly if it supports soft-delete, all apps will support soft-delete.
  • AndyF and Marcher Technologies like this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

All applications use a single comments framework. If it doesn't have soft-delete, none of the apps have soft-delete. Similarly if it supports soft-delete, all apps will support soft-delete.

Then move this please... though that obviously did not stop Content Record Comments, a centralization/standardization regarding comments soft-delete would be nice regardless.

#4 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

You know what, I wish I could edit the title of this... I just realized deleted Content comments sit there... forever until we do the manual delete.
Support Soft-delete(auto-clearing of the trash-bin) for comments soon please.... It is abstracted enough to achieve surely?

#5 ZakRhyno

ZakRhyno

All da rhino!

• +Clients
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Could soft delete work for Gallery pictures as well are is that system different from this one?

#6 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'd really prefer the comments in the FORUM rather than a separate stove-piped comment system. Our experience strongly indicates that having multiple disparate discussion systems on a site fragments community interaction, and deprives members of the attention and approbation of their peers that is the primary motivator for contributing the content in the first place.

Our developing philosophy is to have the various apps as Content CREATION systems, but all discussion happens in a single topic relevant forum. This brings the community TOGETHER, rather than splitting it apart. Put a Filter Bar at the top of the Forum and you can see all individual "app" content related discussions if that's what you wish. Alternatively, you can see ALL topic related discussions in a single place rather than having to hunt all over the system.

New Members need things simple and easy. If you can make it very simple WHERE to create content if you are unsure, than you get more buy-in from new members, while still providing different content types for the more advanced users.

James

#7 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

All applications use a single comments framework.

Gosh, I hear this often recently. But I think you also said that there is internal discussion on the comments system. I'm looking forward to any improvements.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it if Gallery comments could be stored in the forum..or if they increased post count even..I think it'd be cool. Each category can be linked to a forum if you want...too much?

#8 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Gosh, I hear this often recently.

Many of the features in the apps today are centralized and stem from the core. The upshot is, if we implement soft-deletes in the comments system, it's available community-wide (calendar, blog, downloads, gallery, etc. etc.).

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#9 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Many of the features in the apps today are centralized and stem from the core. The upshot is, if we implement soft-deletes in the comments system, it's available community-wide (calendar, blog, downloads, gallery, etc. etc.).

Indeed. Btw, I didn't mean my comment as a bad thing. I feel like it came off that way.

Still though, it's slightly frustrating to hear that certain feedback is reliant on another part of the suite being upgraded. Can't wait for IPB 4 when that won't be a problem anymore.

#10 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

You know what, I wish I could edit the title of this... I just realized deleted Content comments sit there... forever until we do the manual delete.
Support Soft-delete(auto-clearing of the trash-bin) for comments soon please.... It is abstracted enough to achieve surely?

My beef is the cart got ahead of the horse here.... did no-one consider this when coding Content, the first app to use it in such a manner?

#11 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

the cart got ahead of the horse

Where do you come up with this stuff? :D

#12 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Where do you come up with this stuff? :D

.... ? dunno... suppose it is just a nicer way of saying it is half-implemented, half-considered, half-coded functionality.... not something I expected to see from IPS. :blink:

#13 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

also... farber...your sole argument against adding the deleted content comments tab in the bug report was that hidden comments are not soft-deleted and that as a result they should not be shown under deleted content... yet this is exactly how the forums behave, you hide a post or a topic, it appears under removed content as do content records and their not-topic comments... the lack of auto-removal and soft-delete aside... this makes no sense as to why this was said:

Hidden comments are not "unapproved".

They are also not deleted, and as other apps do not show hidden comments in the removed content section, I'm not included to build a plugin for this for Gallery only.

... okay? really? content does, and when you hide something, that is the standard behaviour.... items hidden appear under deleted content.... that does not necessarily mean they are deleted, or queued for deletion.... is consistent as it stands to add the tab if you can hide them.

#14 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Your posts confuse me sometimes (my head is spinning trying to read the last few here) so let me just state:
  • Content and Gallery both use the central comments system. The version used by Content has a lot more custom code.
  • Content does NOT have soft-delete. If you click "delete" on a comment in Content, it is gone from the database. Period. It is not retained forever.
  • Content DOES show "hidden" comments in the "Removed Content" area of the ModCP. This is inconsistent with the rest of the apps, so the "fix" here would be to remove that tab from the ModCP for Content. I gather that's not what you are requesting, however. ;)

Content and Gallery work the same here. If a comment is unapproved, you can approve it or delete it. If a comment is approved, you can hide it or delete it.
The DIFFERENCE is that Content has a tab in the ModCP to show you the hidden comments. Again, however, it is the only app doing this.

There is no soft-delete with comments for any app.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#15 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Your posts confuse me sometimes (my head is spinning trying to read the last few here) so let me just state:

• Content and Gallery both use the central comments system. The version used by Content has a lot more custom code.
  • Content does NOT have soft-delete. If you click "delete" on a comment in Content, it is gone from the database. Period. It is not retained forever.
  • Content DOES show "hidden" comments in the "Removed Content" area of the ModCP. This is inconsistent with the rest of the apps, so the "fix" here would be to remove that tab from the ModCP for Content. I gather that's not what you are requesting, however. ;)
Content and Gallery work the same here. If a comment is unapproved, you can approve it or delete it. If a comment is approved, you can hide it or delete it.
The DIFFERENCE is that Content has a tab in the ModCP to show you the hidden comments. Again, however, it is the only app doing this.

There is no soft-delete with comments for any app.

It is not the only application to show hidden content under that tab(Deleted Content).... therein lies the inconsistency, ALL hidden content is shown there, topics, posts, and records as well... the inconsistency is that of the other apps comments, not content IMO.

#16 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,403 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Those aren't comments. I was referring to comments specifically, because the comments system is a central system. Granted, individual applications dictate what to show in the ModCP, but this is not something I'm a fan of doing in one application here and there.

Realistically, we'll just need to clean all this up when we move to 4.0 and everything is built off of a suite-wide approach.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#17 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

While we're on the topic of comments how about changing pages with ajax like YouTube does?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users