• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MKEJ

MKEJ

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

I am in the process of starting a new community and I really like IP.board but I am not sure what I need to add from you suite in order to get the best result.

I want the first page when people visit my community to be a blog, I want to be able to have different pages with links, articles and other information, a forum (IP.board) and a gallery.

What do I need from your suite?

I am not sure how IP.Content is working compared to IP.Blog.

Thank you,
Micke

#2 AndyF

AndyF

iQA4u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,611 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hello.

I'd suggest you sign up for the free five day demo here so you can see for yourself the suite in action. There are some restrictions on the demo's however you should be able to see each application in action.

Its very easy to set an application to be the default landing, so you could have Blog as the default instead of the forum. :smile:

IP.Content sounds appropriate for your needs regarding pages with links / articles etc. As above please try the demo as a fresh install of IPC comes with some demonstration data anyway. It is a powerful application capable of a lot.

The Hosted Community packages come with Blog / Gallery / Downloads / Chat as well as Forum obviously. The packages from Plus40 include Nexus as well. An unwanted application can be simply disabled in the admin control panel at any time too if required, so if for instance you did not want IP.Chat you could turn it off with a couple of clicks.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

#3 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

For the blog, are you wanting members of your community to blog, or are you looking to maintain a "site blog" that only you contribute to?

If you are looking for a site blog, I would recommend using IP.Content. It will give you more flexibility and options. If you wish for your community users to maintain their own blogs as well on your site, IP.Blog would better serve that purpose out of the box.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#4 MKEJ

MKEJ

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for your answers!

For the blog, are you wanting members of your community to blog, or are you looking to maintain a "site blog" that only you contribute to?

A site blog that only I contribute to. Is IP.Content part of the demo? I have a demo but I can find it.

#5 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

IP.Content is part of the demo, yes. It is a framework-type application, so it's not something you "find" in the same manner as Gallery or Blog on the front end. With a default IP.Content installation (which is what you should have with the demo), you can find a demo site built using IP.Content - the easiest way to access it is to go to the ACP -> Other Apps -> IP.Content -> Pages. Click on the green arrow icon next to the index.html page to visit the page.

Typically after building your pages you would use the Menu Manager feature of IP.Content to add links to the pages to the main menu (or modify your skin to add them if you don't want the links included in the main menu bar). IP.Content can also serve as the homepage of the site (which is what you indicated you were after), however this involves either uploading a special index.php file from the IP.Content download, or modifying a configuration file on disk, and neither operation would be possible on the hosted demo.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#6 MKEJ

MKEJ

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

Again, thank you!

I will have my site in another language (swedish). Do I need to translate IP.content?

I am also looking to host the page myself. I am guessing that I would upload IP.board to /forum and does it matter where I upload IP.content?

#7 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

You may find a Swedish language pack in the marketplace: http://community.inv...ower.com/files/
The bulk of the content itself, however, you supply - so you would simply write it in Swedish in the first place. The translations in the language pack would be for common strings like the navigation bar and moderation links and such.

You can upload IP.Board to /forum and upload the special IP.Content index.php to your domain root directory if you wish. There are a lot of options with regards to how you set things up.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#8 raindog308

raindog308

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Besides IP.Content, there are other simple CMS options in the IP.Marketplace.

IP.Content is certainly the most powerful option, but if you only need a couple pages or a portal, there are other choices as well.
BlackBeltDL.com: Martial arts home study program reviews and discussion forum

#9 MKEJ

MKEJ

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

You may find a Swedish language pack in the marketplace: http://community.inv...ower.com/files/
The bulk of the content itself, however, you supply - so you would simply write it in Swedish in the first place. The translations in the language pack would be for common strings like the navigation bar and moderation links and such.

You can upload IP.Board to /forum and upload the special IP.Content index.php to your domain root directory if you wish. There are a lot of options with regards to how you set things up.

Would I upload IP.content files to another folder like /content ?

I am getting close to giving this a try so I am thankful for all help! The board/forum looks great but I am still not sure how IP.content will work but I guess I will find out! :)

#10 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

When you install on your server, there are multiple approaches. Some people upload the forums to their server's root public html directory, and let IP.Content run from inside the forums (that's what we do on our forums here for documentation). You can optionally upload the special IP.Content index.php file to a custom directory if you want, or just let IP.Board's built in friendly URL system handle IP.Content as it does any other application.

Another approach is to put your forums in a subdomain, or in a subfolder (e.g. /community) and then upload the special IP.Content index.php file to your server's public html directory. In this setup, IP.Content powers your homepage and you can have a full website at your domain, and then the forums are available in a subfolder.

There are many many possibilities with IP.Content, so it's hard to say what you "would" do, and easier to give suggestions as to what you "can" do.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#11 MKEJ

MKEJ

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Thank you!

I would like to have a blog on the first page (root) and the forums in /forum. Do you know of any site that is set up that way?

#12 Jurij G.

Jurij G.

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I would like to ask is there a free version of powerboard? I am thinking about adding it to my site, but site is a hobby and I am not planning high expenses on it. It will be great if I will havу free version even if it will be with some limitations.

#13 AndyF

AndyF

iQA4u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,611 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

I would like to ask is there a free version of powerboard? I am thinking about adding it to my site, but site is a hobby and I am not planning high expenses on it. It will be great if I will havу free version even if it will be with some limitations.

There is no 'free' version, and has not been for many years now. It was part of the 1.x series that was the last free one, excluding the temporary 2.0.x trial version. Both (apart from not being available) would not really be suitable to use on the modern web, assuming you could get them to run with newer mysql / php versions.

If funds are especially tight, then a Hosted Community is highly recommended and would be the most economical way to proceed as it starts from as little as $10 USD / month. :smile:
  • Aiwa likes this

#14 Jurij G.

Jurij G.

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks a lot for your wonderfull help:) I will look for something else and free.

#15 MKEJ

MKEJ

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:26 AM

Do I install IP.Content the same way as I do with IP.Board?

Uploading it to www.site.com/content and then upload the special IP.Content index.php file to your server's public html directory? www.site.com ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users