• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi :smile: I would expect it to access the boxes one at a time and present the results.

:) That's exactly what it does right now... :)

#22 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,584 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

As long as it's a side option with its unique page, and is only used by a handful of zealous users, it can't be that bad. It's not like we're talking about putting it on the main index page in real time.

The mystery for me remains how an old IPB forum was able to do this exactly; I didn't dream this request up. I wish I could link it but it was a closed forum and has long been offline. It just had a feature on the side of the forum that let you read all historical posts, and you could choose exactly how many posts you wanted to load on each page. The default was 10, but I preferred it to be about 100. What it did exactly was list entire posts, fully formatted, in chronological order. It would also let you skip up to 10 pages ahead down at the bottom.

I'm sure my over-enthusiastic choice was very resource intensive, but I was certainly in the minority for wanting to speedread through its thousands of historical posts to get caught up.

Edit: resource intensive or not, the resources should be the client's to squander. I personally use over 60 hooks and only have a server load of 0.07. Smaller sites like mine which have virtually no traffic can afford some fancier research tools like this.

The problem is, we have to provide technical support for our clients. ;)  If someone has this feature available and 10 users or 100 search engine spiders or whatever hit the page, and cause the server to overload, we get the ticket.  We then have to explain this particular feature is resource intensive and that it can be shut off, etc.

Ultimately, as I said, we are researching and considering methods that may account for this functionality, but truly and honestly it's not just a simple toggle, or a few extra lines of code.  We have clients with small sites and large sites, 1 user online at a time and 5000 users online at a time, and everywhere in between.  We have to accommodate all of our clients.

I appreciate it must be frustrating when non programmers expect things can be done easily but you do have to explain why something is impractical to be fair. It will be great if you can come up with something.

My main concern has always been about the ambiguity of the "There is no new content" statement given to users. The link promises to let users "View New Content" but it reports only on a specific type of content determined by where a user last visited yet gives a seemingly categorical "No new content" result instead of specifying no new "articles" or no new "forum posts" etc. It assumes all users know how the system works, but people who aren't knowledgeable about how ip works may well just see the no new content statement and leave.

Changing the verbiage is a simple thing to do, if you feel that will make a big difference.  Sometimes the easiest and simplest solutions are the first to be overlooked.

• Eric Allione likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#23 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I am very glad that you are looking into this. This feature would be a large step forward IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users