So it seems instead of waiting and going through the painful process of upgrading, perhaps now is a good time to switch to IPS. vb4 is finally stable and has some good features, it still feels a bit old when it comes to the user interface. CMS content is also a pretty clunky system and confuses search engines with duplicate content. There are a great number of add-ons for vB4 but integration can be clunky, developers come and go and there still isn't a good classifieds system available.
Because I am not very familiar with IPS, I am looking for some more information.
1. Will IPS meet our needs?
Our site would need these features:
- Community and personal blogs
- Video sharing section (YouTube, Vimeo etc)
- Classifieds / Marketplace
2. What would be the best upgrade path?
1. Move our existing site content and current domain name (saabworld.net) to IPS and get that to work properly first. When everything is all set, change domain name to automobileworld.org.
2. Switch to the new domain on our vB4 site first and then move the site to IPS.
We use vBSEO on out site and it ranks pretty good in search engines. I am sure it is obvious but we really would like to keep the good search engine rankings.
3. CMS content
When you promote a personal blog article or forum post to a CMS article on vB4, you can choose to dupliacte the content or move the content from the forum to the CMS. Neither is perfect. Is this any different with the IPS software?
Any info will be greatly appreciated!