Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Suggestion: Give a sample IP.Blog Theme

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I'd like to suggest IPB to include a default sample css theme so we can base new themes off from it. Right now there isn't one available. Therefor, I don't know what to base a new theme on in order to create new themes for members to choose from. Since we don't have blog customizations included (like VB has with using forms for member ability to change all colors, fonts, and backgrounds themselves without predefined themes or knowing css), I'm trying to focus on creating new themes to choose from. Please advise...

adonismale and dynomite like this

Posted

Does anyone have a sample template some of us can use to base new themes off from? Pretty please....

Posted

My reply was from 2012 and they probably were compatible then.  They most likely still are, as the format hasn't really changed (although the CSS classes may have).

I can't suggest another option for ready-made blog themes other than the ready-made blog themes marketplace category.  If no one is contributing any, that tells me the feature probably really isn't that popular. :)

Posted

What really needs to happen is that you allow end-users and members of our communities to administer their own customization to their blogs, including:

• custom header text or header picture
  • background photo
  • 2 or 3 different layouts
  • lots of premade blocks 
CallieJo and surferboy like this

Posted

If no one is contributing any, that tells me the feature probably really isn't that popular. :smile:

Or too complicated for non-programmers. Or people are using Wordpress and other blog options instead for their members. Or even using VB 3.8 or 4.x since blog customization is possible with uploading backgrounds, changing colors & fonts. I have a private community still running on 3.8 that members highly customize their profiles & their blogs. It's highly used and liked. I'd say that it is less liked on IP.Blogs because it is too complicated for the average user.

Posted

Or too complicated for non-programmers. Or people are using Wordpress and other blog options instead for their members. Or even using VB 3.8 or 4.x since blog customization is possible with uploading backgrounds, changing colors & fonts. I have a private community still running on 3.8 that members highly customize their profiles & their blogs. It's highly used and liked. I'd say that it is less liked on IP.Blogs because it is too complicated for the average user.

Hello, did you find a solution?

The link above is now dead, so even that can't offer clues. How exactly are members supposed to customize their themes?

Posted

Hello, did you find a solution?

The link above is now dead, so even that can't offer clues. How exactly are members supposed to customize their themes?

No, sorry...I have not.

I don't have answers for IP.Blogs at all. It's just too complicated for members to customize right now.

Posted

Custom themes are just custom CSS that you add to the page, in the current state you just need to know CSS and then you can style the content however you like.  I agree that it may be nicer if you could have something a bit more intuitive whereby you are presented with the current style values and given the option to change them, but you are literally allowed to adjust whatever CSS you want to on the page, so presenting every option would be difficult.

You can style elements on the page which aren't even in the blog, like adding this:

#search { display: none; }

Will result in the search bar being hidden on your blog.  Really, the only limit to what you can do here is what you can figure out with CSS.  Using a tool like Firebug will help a lot, as it will let you figure out the classes/ids that you can modify.

CallieJo, AndyF and Edward Shephard like this

Posted

Thanks Michael. I appreciate you trying to help.

Unfortunately, I'd really prefer an easy way for members to style their own blogs themselves. Originally I thought I could use examples to help them get started. But, it's too complicated for them to learn to code the css etc. I have an old community on vb3.8 that I'd like to move to something with better notifications some day. I just haven't found anything to match some of it's personal features that the community relies on. One being the member customization options of blogs. Moving it to vb4.x/5 is not an option I'm willing to make at this time.

Thanks and have a splendid day*

Robert H likes this