3 replies to this topic

#1 OVH

OVH

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

I've been thinking about starting up a site+forum for a while now and stumbled upon IPS, so far it seems to have what I need, but I just want to ask a few questions first to make sure.
I'm looking to create a site where the forum will be where the users spend most of their time, with a start page with articles and such.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible for users to comment on articles with their forum details, and is it possible to integrate forum posts on the main page (for example if I wanted to add a helpful forum post to the main page)

How customizable is the rating system on the forum? For example are users able to "like/dislike" a certain post and can users gain something for posting, say sort of a "level up system".

How detailed is the sorting system, can I for example make a category in the forum where the most popular threads show up? (Combine threads from different categories into one place based on ex. amount of views/rating/etc).

Can you have different icons for different categories, say if I were to have a section of popular threads, an icon on the left of each thread to indicate what category it is from.

What will I need from the IP suite to do this? IP.Board + IP.Content?
Thanks in advance :smile:

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,682 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

I've been thinking about starting up a site+forum for a while now and stumbled upon IPS, so far it seems to have what I need, but I just want to ask a few questions first to make sure.
I'm looking to create a site where the forum will be where the users spend most of their time, with a start page with articles and such.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible for users to comment on articles with their forum details, and is it possible to integrate forum posts on the main page (for example if I wanted to add a helpful forum post to the main page)

Assuming you are using IP.Content for your articles system, it utilizes the same login / user database as IP.Board. If you are logged into one, you're logged in to both.

How customizable is the rating system on the forum? For example are users able to "like/dislike" a certain post and can users gain something for posting, say sort of a "level up system".

The "rating" system (seen at the top of the page near the title) is static. However, IP.Board has a reputation system which you can configure to work as either a "like" system (as we have it here), or a +/- reputation system (where users can rep posts up and/or down - you can disable the ability to rep down).

How detailed is the sorting system, can I for example make a category in the forum where the most popular threads show up? (Combine threads from different categories into one place based on ex. amount of views/rating/etc).

Forums are a single container - a topic cannot show up in more than one forum. You could, however, create feed blocks in IP.Content to pull topics from all forums based on various criteria and sorting options, and then put that feed block on a page. This would give you a page with a list of topics sorted in the manner you configured when setting up the block.

Can you have different icons for different categories, say if I were to have a section of popular threads, an icon on the left of each thread to indicate what category it is from.

There are modifications available for this sort of thing, but it's not a default feature.

What will I need from the IP suite to do this? IP.Board + IP.Content?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes, that sounds right based on what you described.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 OVH

OVH

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Gotcha, thanks a lot.

#4 Harman Ghangla

Harman Ghangla

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

I also had a similar query, first though of posting it, but after reading this topic, I got my answers. Looking forward setting up a Discussion Forum using IPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users