#1 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:22 AM

So I saw that IPS updated to Gallery 5. Can I say some stuff about it? :<

Stuff I Like
  • The featured images slider - Initially I thought I wasn't going to like this thing..but I like the slideshow aspect of it. Still though it seems like it's tailored for large images...and honestly I just want it to pull random images. Ok maybe I didn't like this one after all. Guess I have to play with it by myself before I use it.
  • The album front pages - Ok. This is awesome. http://community.inv...member/62-matt/ This is also awesome. http://community.inv...or-bug-reports/ You did great. No more of those empty sidebars.
  • Show as thumbnails/large - What a great option! I love it. My only minor issue is how the large photos all stack on top of each other. If it did something like the picture here instead then it would be perfect. http://community.inv...-5-inspiration/
  • Moving the photostrip beneath the image - I liked that idea. Well..I could go either way with it honestly, but this isn't bad.
Stuff That Could Be Improved
  • http://community.invisionpower.com/gallery/image/7656-dinar-friends-custom-skin/ So much whitespace under the image info. You know you could just stick in the image share links there. Please? Nobody thinks to look for it in the options menu or expects it as a popup anyway.
  • Latest Comments Block - I will never understand why hovering on the image gives a tooltip of the comment...is that necessary?
  • Recent Images Block - Ok this is pretty nicely done, but something was removed that I'm not really ecstatic about...in Gallery 4 when you hovered on an image in the recent images block it displayed a hovercard with more stuff on the image. A larger version of the image..the uploader..the name..I wish that had stayed. And in fact that would be great to add into the comment block as well.
  • Slideshow - When you click on the slider to scroll to the left or right can you skip more images than just one? Maybe 5 or 7?
  • Lightbox - The close button in the corner...just stick an x in there. I had no idea what the button was for..initially I thought it was to progress to the next image. >_>;
Stuff I Hated
  • Eh nothing really...maybe the fact that I don't get to beta test this with my own gallery install. :S IPS doesn't seem to have many global albums whereas I have a lot so I can't really see for myself how the look will turn out in Gallery 5.
  • Well there might be one thing...it came up when looking at the large view in galleries. It seems that IPS is still catering IP.Gallery towards photos...anyone who wants to make a sprite gallery probably won't be very happy with the setup. It's very "large image" oriented if you know what I mean...I think if you can do the image stacking like I linked above then that would be a huge improvement.

• dr. Jekyll, Virgis and AndyMillne like this

#2 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Oh no...what have you done to the mobile view? This I hate...I hate it very much. Gallery 4 had the front-page down perfect...this new look...please fix it.

And the image view...it doesn't resize the image to the width of the page anymore. This is awful...everything is over. Life has no purpose anymore.

Well at least the gallery view was saved...

EDIT: Ok no it wasn't saved...it was also ruined. The member albums view was saved. Please can the view of mobile member albums be applied to category view and also to the recent images on the front-page? And maybe move the recent images to the top of the front-page and just remove featured images? :3

#3 Misi

Misi

Spam is good!

• +Clients
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:42 AM

http://community.inv...embers-gallery/

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

This signature is not a signature!

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,413 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

I just want to start off by saying thank you for the clear, concise and to-the-point feedback. Can't say what or if we'll act on any of it (right now), but it's beneficial when specifics are spelled out. :)

So I saw that IPS updated to Gallery 5. Can I say some stuff about it? :<

Stuff I Like

• The featured images slider - Initially I thought I wasn't going to like this thing..but I like the slideshow aspect of it. Still though it seems like it's tailored for large images...and honestly I just want it to pull random images. Ok maybe I didn't like this one after all. Guess I have to play with it by myself before I use it.
  • The album front pages - Ok. This is awesome. http://community.inv...member/62-matt/ This is also awesome. http://community.inv...or-bug-reports/ You did great. No more of those empty sidebars.
  • Show as thumbnails/large - What a great option! I love it. My only minor issue is how the large photos all stack on top of each other. If it did something like the picture here instead then it would be perfect. http://community.inv...-5-inspiration/
  • Moving the photostrip beneath the image - I liked that idea. Well..I could go either way with it honestly, but this isn't bad.
Stuff That Could Be Improved
  • http://community.inv...ds-custom-skin/ So much whitespace under the image info. You know you could just stick in the image share links there. Please? Nobody thinks to look for it in the options menu or expects it as a popup anyway.
  • Latest Comments Block - I will never understand why hovering on the image gives a tooltip of the comment...is that necessary?
  • Recent Images Block - Ok this is pretty nicely done, but something was removed that I'm not really ecstatic about...in Gallery 4 when you hovered on an image in the recent images block it displayed a hovercard with more stuff on the image. A larger version of the image..the uploader..the name..I wish that had stayed. And in fact that would be great to add into the comment block as well.
  • Slideshow - When you click on the slider to scroll to the left or right can you skip more images than just one? Maybe 5 or 7?
  • Lightbox - The close button in the corner...just stick an x in there. I had no idea what the button was for..initially I thought it was to progress to the next image. >_>;
Stuff I Hated
  • Eh nothing really...maybe the fact that I don't get to beta test this with my own gallery install. :S IPS doesn't seem to have many global albums whereas I have a lot so I can't really see for myself how the look will turn out in Gallery 5.
  • Well there might be one thing...it came up when looking at the large view in galleries. It seems that IPS is still catering IP.Gallery towards photos...anyone who wants to make a sprite gallery probably won't be very happy with the setup. It's very "large image" oriented if you know what I mean...I think if you can do the image stacking like I linked above then that would be a huge improvement.

Not much to say about the likes, or the hates.

The whitespace under the image info - I should note that if the image has a map associated, it shows in that column. We, too, dislike the excess whitespace and have considered some various options there (showing some of the exif data or sharing links, showing random images submitted by the same user, or showing a list of that user's albums for instance).

With regards to the recent images data - we were originally using the lightbox navigational overlay when you clicked that image, so extra data on hover wasn't needed. That navigational approach is problematic right now, however, so it has been pulled out for the time being. We can look into showing extra data somehow.

Oh no...what have you done to the mobile view? This I hate...I hate it very much. Gallery 4 had the front-page down perfect...this new look...please fix it.

And the image view...it doesn't resize the image to the width of the page anymore. This is awful...everything is over. Life has no purpose anymore.

Well at least the gallery view was saved...

EDIT: Ok no it wasn't saved...it was also ruined. The member albums view was saved. Please can the view of mobile member albums be applied to category view and also to the recent images on the front-page? And maybe move the recent images to the top of the front-page and just remove featured images? :3

I'll try to take a look at what you're describing, but honestly the mobile view (the HTML at least) is extremely similar to Gallery 4 - it was more or less updated, not redesigned.

Bugs can be reported in the tracker. :) This was working fine yesterday, so I'm not sure what happened in the mean time but we'll take a look.
  • jackflash likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#5 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,413 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

http://community.inv...er.com/gallery/

FYI, we enabled the patchwork featured image layout, and the social homepage approach. Feel free to look over these options (they only affect the homepage - don't worry about digging out any other pages that may have changed). Few styling updates still needed, but you can get an idea of what these two settings allow you to do.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#6 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

http://community.inv...er.com/gallery/

FYI, we enabled the patchwork featured image layout, and the social homepage approach. Feel free to look over these options (they only affect the homepage - don't worry about digging out any other pages that may have changed). Few styling updates still needed, but you can get an idea of what these two settings allow you to do.

Omygosh! My mouth literally dropped when I saw this. That is so perfect!! See how image centric it is? That's what I've been looking for in Gallery all this time. And the images keep changing too. Really cool. This is probably going to be the layout I'll use in my Gallery. The layout is called patchwork huh? I did not know that. I would suggest considering using this on the "large" view as well, but it could also turn out ugly, not sure. Still though, I'm in love with this thing right now. It helps that Luke is really cute. xD

One thing I noticed is that the subforum_stem image for subalbums on the homepage in the Categories block is gone. Was that intentional? Yeah, I know. That was an extremely minor thing to point out...It's also not displaying the cover image or little tiny recent image thumbnails like the global album block in Gallery 4 did. Would like to see those back. I guess I'm a "the more images there are on the page the better it looks" type of person...

The whitespace under the image info - I should note that if the image has a map associated, it shows in that column. We, too, dislike the excess whitespace and have considered some various options there (showing some of the exif data or sharing links, showing random images submitted by the same user, or showing a list of that user's albums for instance).

With regards to the recent images data - we were originally using the lightbox navigational overlay when you clicked that image, so extra data on hover wasn't needed. That navigational approach is problematic right now, however, so it has been pulled out for the time being. We can look into showing extra data somehow.

I'll try to take a look at what you're describing, but honestly the mobile view (the HTML at least) is extremely similar to Gallery 4 - it was more or less updated, not redesigned.

Well the whitespace for myself won't be a problem since I customized my template. Moved some stuff around so here's mine if you want to see a different approach.
http://hsdkfans.com/...e/173-bring-it/ (uhh..you shouldn't browse around in my gallery too much if you're at work or someting. Just a note to anyone who clicks)

Of course mine doesn't match with IPB styles much.

The mobile view in gallery 4 displays more images in a row. On my phone it displays 5 images in a row in portrait layout. In Gallery 5 since the size of the images was increased it's only displaying two images in a row, which just doesn't look good IMO. That's how it is for categories and the homepage. If you look at a member album then it's still displaying 5 images, so either way there's some inconsistencies going on. And in the image view the image not resizing to the width of the phone might just be a bug so I'll report that..

Btw, just noticed that the patchwork thing changes layouts everytime you look at it. That is so cool. *.*
  • dr. Jekyll and Maxxius like this

#7 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hmm IPS doesn't seem to have a category that allows images and albums..can you make one?

Also in the filter bar I just noticed that if you click the same filter twice then it switches from descending to ascending...I never knew that and really the text of the filter doesn't designate that. I would say that instead of "Highest Rated" it should say "Rating" with an arrow that goes up or down based on if it's DESC or ASC.

#8 Mikey B

Mikey B

Rinse & Repeat

• +Clients
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hmm IPS doesn't seem to have a category that allows images and albums..can you make one?

Michael Burton

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” ― Philip K. Dick, VALIS

#9 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I want to upload images into the category. Not into albums within the category.

#10 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,413 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Categories do not accept both images and albums - one or the other (or neither, but not both).

"Patchwork" is the layout for the featured images block.

The homepage can be "traditional" or "social" - traditional shows the categories in the main content area (as you saw it Wednesday), while social shows the most recent albums in the main content area, with the category list on the right, simplified (as it is now). You can use the patchwork featured image layout with either homepage layout.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#11 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

So you're saying that this was removed?

Attached File  sadf.PNG   7.59KB   12 downloads

Aww man...

But I can still put categories within categories right? That's the view I want to see. A category that accepts images and also has a sub category.

#12 mikesound

mikesound

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

looks good

as pageloading is slow with current version, are the front of gallery features going to be cached in any way ?

plus the small horizontal thumbnails seem to be made up of the med photo size ie 640 etc - would it be better performance wise to use the small image size 240 width

#13 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,413 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

looks good

as pageloading is slow with current version, are the front of gallery features going to be cached in any way ?

plus the small horizontal thumbnails seem to be made up of the med photo size ie 640 etc - would it be better performance wise to use the small image size 240 width

Looks like thumbnails weren't rebuilt. I'm looking into that now (http://community.inv...umbnails-r38542).

So you're saying that this was removed?

Attached File  sadf.PNG   7.59KB   12 downloads

Aww man...

But I can still put categories within categories right? That's the view I want to see. A category that accepts images and also has a sub category.

Yes, categories within categories (that also accept images) are still supported.

This one accepts albums instead of images, but same idea: http://community.inv...holiday-photos/

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#14 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Ok I see how it is now. Nice.

While we're on the topic of feedback though...

Was anything done about cover images? I remember that being an issue..can we select specific cover images or is it still based off of the sorting of the album? Can we do both? :S

Also more stuff that I liked..you added Gallery into the like tab (but it's buggy) and into the most liked content. Awesome. *.* Does it send a notification for liking too?

Well actually it's not that awesome because it also means more duplicate titles. http://community.inv...s/#entry2273346 That can be fixed on the gallery end of things right?
  • Saiga likes this

#15 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Oh and you also made a follow image checkbox and kept it ticked by default when uploading images. Brilliant.

#16 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,413 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ok I see how it is now. Nice.

While we're on the topic of feedback though...

Was anything done about cover images? I remember that being an issue..can we select specific cover images or is it still based off of the sorting of the album? Can we do both? :S

The default cover image if none is explicitly set is the latest image uploaded. You can explicitly override the cover image for any album or category and manually set one instead, however. I guess the answer to your question is "yes".

Also more stuff that I liked..you added Gallery into the like tab (but it's buggy) and into the most liked content. Awesome. *.* Does it send a notification for liking too?

Well actually it's not that awesome because it also means more duplicate titles. http://community.inv...s/#entry2273346 That can be fixed on the gallery end of things right?

Gallery simply ties in to the IP.Board like system. It does not send any notification for likes at this time. Gallery also does not set the page title for the reputation profile tab, so nothing has changed with regards to the link you provided.

Oh and you also made a follow image checkbox and kept it ticked by default when uploading images. Brilliant.

Blog is also doing the same in the next release.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#17 Maxxius

Maxxius

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

bug?

As

IP.Board 4.0 / 3.4.6 / 3.3.4 / 3.2.3 Lithuanian language packs will not be sold through IPS Marketplace. If you need it please contact me directly.

#18 Saiga

Saiga

Gone.

• +Clients
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

bug?

Doesn't seem like it's optimized for resolutions lower than 1280x720.

#19 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Wait, the IP.Board like does send notifications though. I guess you're talking about this http://community.inv...nsion-like-r522 which doesn't give the notification..ok. Feedback for IPB then.

#20 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Oh hey...where's the global RSS feed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users