• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 csm

csm

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

IPB claims on the new front site that sphinx works with IPContent, how about making that fact instead of fiction? This has been desperately needed for a looooooong time.

#2 Rikki

Rikki

data-type='member title'

• IPS Staff
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

I don't think we're claiming that - we say that the IPS Community Suite works with Sphinx, which it does. Not every part of every application supports its features, though.

Rikki Tissier - Administrator & IPS Designer/Developer
I have it on good authority that if you type "Google" into Google, you can break the internet.

My flickr photos

#3 csm

csm

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Sphinx is for searching, if searching doesn't work then sphinx doesn't work with content. The way it's phrased on the front-end a new user would think they could hook sphinx right in and go imo.

content does not support sphinx search, as the tables on a given installation can differ GREATLY, there's no configuration files as of yet

Blazing search with Sphinx

The IPS Community Suite has built-in first-rate support for Sphinx, a leading open-source search server, allowing your community to vastly improve search performance, relevance and accuracy compared to the standard MySQL search.

Built on solid foundations

We use leading web technologies as a foundation for our suite: PHP, MySQL, PrototypeJS, Minify, reCaptcha, CKEditor & Sphinx. We support both *nix and Windows web servers, too.

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,581 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Those claims do not state EVERY application has sphinx integration built in. They state that we integrate with Sphinx and provide support for it within the suite.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#5 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

We recognize that you want Sphinx support in Content and we will certainly look into that for a future version. However, trying to split hairs about wording on the web site does not really make anything happen.
  • Rhett likes this

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com
IPS Twitter news feed: @invisionps

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

IPS 4 preview site ... Feel free to register your account now. We are approving several new accounts each day so, once you register, keep an eye out for activation email.

#6 csm

csm

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Usually I've got a pretty good concept of the English language... Not trying to split hairs, I'm using the word claim as not to be offensive but in regards to the information on the page. Normally I'm submitting bug reports, not mentioning things like this however, if feedback is not given it's not recognized. I also understand it'll be a future version, that's been tossed around since the creation of content.

Regards

#7 MarkD FTR

MarkD FTR

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

So does sphinx not work with IP.Content? I was actually looking at implementing it as the current search is rather useless.

Not trying to be rude or anything but I agree with csm "the IPS Community Suite works with Sphinx" or even "The IPS Community Suite has built-in first-rate support for Sphinx" implies that the entire community suite works with Sphinx, not just some parts.

I spent about half an hour searching for how to implement sphinx to find this post that says IP.content won't work with it. Now i am not trying to split hairs, but wording can be critically important and this post saved me hours of implementing something that seems like it isn't going to work.

#8 avro

avro

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

What works and what does not work with Sphinx?

Please take a look at the features I would like to see in Gallery 5.1

#9 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Oh wow. So if I want to use IP.Content for a lot of different content types then I can't use Sphinx for my very active big board?

Or am I misunderstanding this?

#10 GreenLinks

GreenLinks

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

I am also suprised to see this ?

How can we expect members to search IP.Content pages when Sphinx is not indexing them ?

Can you please clarifiy this a bit further please , how does search functionality functions on IPB Systems that choose to enable Sphinx ?

This includes Ip.Gallery , Ip.Blog , Ip.Content etc...

Mert Gokceimam
CTO / Greenlinks Bv
http://www.420network.com

#11 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,581 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

If an application does not support Sphinx, then SQL is automatically fallen back to.  For instance, if we enabled sphinx searching on here (which we've done in the past), and you attempt to search Gallery (which does not support Sphinx), the core simply uses MySQL searching for that application.  The experience is seamless to the end user.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#12 GreenLinks

GreenLinks

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

What about Nexus ? Does IPB Sphinx support Nexus entries ?

Mert Gokceimam
CTO / Greenlinks Bv

#13 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,581 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Nexus does not have a sphinx plugin, no.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#14 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,581 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

To clarify in case anyone is wondering, the following apps have sphinx plugins:

• Blog
  • Downloads
  • Forums

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#15 GreenLinks

GreenLinks

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

To clarify in case anyone is wondering, the following apps have sphinx plugins:

• Blog
  • Downloads
  • Forums

Another question , i upgraded to pre release version of Ip.Content and after upgrade , i received a notice about Sphinx conf and cron jobs were outdated . As IP.Content is not supported by Sphinx can we recall that notice as a bug ? If so shall it be reported ?

Mert Gokceimam
CTO / Greenlinks Bv

#16 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,581 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

It would be a minor bug I suppose.  The system doesn't readily know which apps (from that quick helper page) support Sphinx, so if any app is 'newer' than the cron/conf last build date it shows the notice.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#17 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Do you intend to add sphinx search for IP.Content, IP.Gallery and IP.Nexus in the future?

Do the Sphinx plugins for Blog, Forum and Downloads cover all search queries in those apps?
If not, is there an overview somewhere?

#18 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,581 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

The sphinx plugins cover all searching (for downloads that would be files and comments, for instance), yes.

We may or may expand the sphinx plugins to all applications in the 4.0 Suite when we overhaul searching.  Very few clients have enough data in those applications that Sphinx materially benefits them (really, MySQL can handle searches fine up to a few hundred thousand records with the right server configuration), but there are other benefits to using Sphinx that we will be exploring regardless of the amount of data.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#19 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

The sphinx plugins cover all searching (for downloads that would be files and comments, for instance), yes.

- Does this include:
- private message search
- member search
- help topic search
- IP address search

We may or may expand the sphinx plugins to all applications in the 4.0 Suite when we overhaul searching.  Very few clients have enough data in those applications that Sphinx materially benefits them (really, MySQL can handle searches fine up to a few hundred thousand records with the right server configuration), but there are other benefits to using Sphinx that we will be exploring regardless of the amount of data.

Yes, it would be very useful if IPS takes full advantage of Sphinx by:
- reducing search related server strain
- Offload intensive queries
- Improve search results.

#20 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,581 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

- Does this include:
- private message search
- member search
- help topic search
- IP address search

No.  None of those items are part of the apps that are currently searched by Sphinx.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users