Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spam Filter

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm interested in the spam filter that's provided by Invision?

How successful is it at stopping spam sign ups?

I've noticed that most of the spam software I've ever seen advertised dosn't include IP Board, so I take it that its a good sign that it must be effective if the spammers don't bother going to the effort of even trying.

What about false positives? what if someone was marked as a spammer maliciously would it stop them from signing up to other sites? is there some sort of appeals process for them?

Posted

Its a service run by IPS themselves.

It uses various criteria to judge if a new registrant is likely to be a spammer or not and assigns them a score in effect.

When a member is flagged for spamming on a board it will just (if possible) send this to the Spam Service. It won't have any immediate effect on their score as it will take a fair few repeated ones to build their spam score up.

Posted

As Andy said, it requires multiple boards marking a user (based on IP/email address) to actually get them flagged as a spammer, in part to prevent a single site from marking users as spammers maliciously.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1345470544' post='2298911']
As Andy said, it requires multiple boards marking a user (based on IP/email address) to actually get them flagged as a spammer, in part to prevent a single site from marking users as spammers maliciously.

Perfect, thanks for the info.