21 replies to this topic

#1 chilihead

chilihead

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Why not create a place for Twitter, FB, etc. links? ICQ, AOL, MSN, these other ones seem outdated. We could create our own section but they won't hyperlink.
  • Michael R likes this

#2 Aiwa

Aiwa

I code for fun

• +Clients
  • 8,127 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Where are you talking about? There is already a social links section... and you can customize what links show up there.... Look at the bottom left of this page....

My Files and Support: aiwa.me

Have a gaming community?           Need Nexus Add-ons?                    Security

-Steam Profile Integration         -Automatic Ticket Creator              -Force password Reset

-Battlefield 4 Profile Integration -No Renewals (Sell trial memberships!) 

-Support Request Menu

#3 .Ian

.Ian

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I assume the OP means in the profile, and therefore showing up as required in the posters info pane.

Add Comet Chat to your community :smile:  

Non League UK

Play safe and purchase IP.Board from IPS! - click here to buy

Converting from Vbulletin, phpBB or another forum to IPB? Click here for the conversion service - it might be free!

IPS Hosting - click here for the prices & specifications. Some packages include a free version of IP.Board!

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,619 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Those are custom profile fields, and you can already add new ones and remove existing ones via the ACP if you wish.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#5 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Those are custom profile fields, and you can already add new ones and remove existing ones via the ACP if you wish.

He's asking for the ability to link to the relevant social network profile in IPB profiles which would require a hook/skin edit.

#6 chilihead

chilihead

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

But they do not hyperlink so if they add Twitter it's just text. Unlike what you do with ICQ etc.

#7 miraclesun

miraclesun

...i defy you, stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Where are you talking about? There is already a social links section... and you can customize what links show up there.... Look at the bottom left of this page....

He means custom profile fields.

They don't work as URLs though, like the default "website" one.

#8 Kirito

Kirito

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Since this thread is slightly relevant, I'd like to suggest a minor change to the "website" and "Jabber" social link icons as well.

For website links: [attachment=43604:profile_website.png]

For Jabber: [attachment=43603:profile_jabber.png]

It's a small thing, but being the odd perfectionist I am I couldn't stand to stare at the default ones for those two any longer and had to go out and find replacements.

One reason being the default is not dark template friendly. The two above are completely friendly with dark templates.

The "Jabber" icon as ripped from Pidgin's sources. It's the Jabber/XMPP protocol icon it uses.

The hyperlink icon I just found through Google.

RBiD22P.png This signature utilizes cookies. By continuing to view topics I have posted in, you are giving consent to cookies being used. RBiD22P.png

If you have a problem with this, please click here. Thank you.

#9 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,619 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

But they do not hyperlink so if they add Twitter it's just text. Unlike what you do with ICQ etc.

They don't work as URLs though, like the default "website" one.

If you want them to be styled in a custom manner (as the existing social links are), you need to edit skin_profile (Profile View) -> customFieldGroup__contact

The custom fields system allows you to create a special skin template which will automatically be applied to individual custom fields or entire custom field groups, and we have done that in this case with the contact fields.
  • chilihead likes this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#10 chilihead

chilihead

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

If you want them to be styled in a custom manner (as the existing social links are), you need to edit skin_profile (Profile View) -> customFieldGroup__contact

The custom fields system allows you to create a special skin template which will automatically be applied to individual custom fields or entire custom field groups, and we have done that in this case with the contact fields.

Thanks. Is it possible to explain in a little more detail?
  • Manjurhusen1 likes this

#11 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,619 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

I recommend posting in the peer help forums for assistance modifying the skin templates. It's quite simple to do, but this is a feedback forum and we're venturing beyond feedback at this point. :)
  • Manjurhusen1 likes this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#12 Lase

Lase

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

I think he wants something like I talked about way back in that ghastly looking 15 page thread :

Posted Image

"When watching television your conscious mind doesn't really have to take much of a hold on it because it has no say in the matter. It's the subconscious mind they want it to work on because whatever the subconscious works on will ultimately work on you. It just takes more time to settle itself like jelly poured into a mould." - Lase.

#13 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

I think he wants something like I talked about way back in that ghastly looking 15 page thread :

Posted Image

Per post?

I was bored.

Posted Image
  • Lase likes this

#14 miraclesun

miraclesun

...i defy you, stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

I recommend posting in the peer help forums for assistance modifying the skin templates. It's quite simple to do, but this is a feedback forum and we're venturing beyond feedback at this point. :smile:

But why not update the default custom profile fields so it's easier for everyone..? Facebook and Twitter is what more people are using now. So it only makes sense to have them included.
  • chilihead likes this

#15 chilihead

chilihead

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

That's was what I was suggesting. Update the area. It looks dated. That other stuff is from the dot com bubble :smile:

#16 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

They are just custom profile fields.

Having said that, I shall refresh the default ones for 3.4.
  • Michael R and chilihead like this

Matt Mecham
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#17 Lase

Lase

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

Per post?

I was bored.

Posted Image

My goodness. I really want this. Will you help me get oboard, or perhaps communicate with my dev, because we're making improvements at the moment (I don't do any of this css stuff, frankly I'm pretty humbled by people's ingenuity and expertise in this respect)

Google+ is also essential.

"When watching television your conscious mind doesn't really have to take much of a hold on it because it has no say in the matter. It's the subconscious mind they want it to work on because whatever the subconscious works on will ultimately work on you. It just takes more time to settle itself like jelly poured into a mould." - Lase.

#18 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

My goodness. I really want this. Will you help me get oboard, or perhaps communicate with my dev, because we're making improvements at the moment (I don't do any of this css stuff, frankly I'm pretty humbled by people's ingenuity and expertise in this respect)

Google+ is also essential.

But I already deleted it...

#19 Lase

Lase

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Happy to throw you some dollars. I'd appreciate the time.

#20 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Happy to throw you some dollars. I'd appreciate the time.

PM me if you want. The reason I deleted it was because no one seemed interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users