Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Next Major Update...?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I was just about to prepare purchasing IPB, but then vB annouced vB 5. So now I think the logical thing to do is to wait and see what they release.

I am still hooked onto IPB, and in fact vB5 looks much like a rip off of IBP.

What I want to know is, is there any major update planned for IPB, if so when?

Posted

The IPS Community Suite version 4 is our next major update, and it is currently in the pipeline. Before that will be a release of IP.Board 3.4 as well.

We do not yet have release dates set for either version, however you can read our development blog to see some of the upcoming features: http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174-ips-company-blog/

Aiwa likes this

Posted

[quote name='Jam Man' timestamp='1346537427' post='2303839']So now I think the logical thing to do is to wait and see what they release.
That's like holding off on buying a 2012 Ferrari because Ford just announced it'll be releasing a 2013 Pinto. While that may seem a bit extreme of an example, it still boils down to the fact that when you buy IP.Board, you own a license and to update to a newer version (3.3.4 to 3.4.0 or to 4.0 or whatever), you simply download and upgrade (provided your license is still active). If your license is inactive, pay the renewal fee ($25 for 6 months) and your license is active again. There's also no penalty fees for not renewing 'on time', so if your license lapses and you renew 2 years later, it's only $25 for 6 months.

Unless IB has changed the policy, with vB, when you buy a version, to upgrade to a new major version, you have to pay for the upgrade vs just renewing your license if it's inactive. Also, overall, the cost comes out to be cheaper too in the long run. Besides, doesn't matter what the front end looks like, it's how well it's designed and if they do vB5 like they did vB4, then it's just going to be the same code but repackaged and called a new version.

Posted

[quote name='Wolfie' timestamp='1346546289' post='2303864']
That's like holding off on buying a 2012 Ferrari because Ford just announced it'll be releasing a 2013 Pinto. While that may seem a bit extreme of an example, it still boils down to the fact that when you buy IP.Board, you own a license and to update to a newer version (3.3.4 to 3.4.0 or to 4.0 or whatever), you simply download and upgrade (provided your license is still active). If your license is inactive, pay the renewal fee ($25 for 6 months) and your license is active again. There's also no penalty fees for not renewing 'on time', so if your license lapses and you renew 2 years later, it's only $25 for 6 months.

Unless IB has changed the policy, with vB, when you buy a version, to upgrade to a new major version, you have to pay for the upgrade vs just renewing your license if it's inactive. Also, overall, the cost comes out to be cheaper too in the long run. Besides, doesn't matter what the front end looks like, it's how well it's designed and if they do vB5 like they did vB4, then it's just going to be the same code but repackaged and called a new version.

Ford and Ferrari? Lol

Yes, I like the way IPB does its renewals, I think many vB customers are leaving because of this.

However, this thread is not so much about the license arrangements, but rather the new comparison between the two (as has always been the case).

Posted

Also what is the Community Suite?

Posted

[quote name='Jam Man' timestamp='1346707170' post='2304518']
Also what is the Community Suite?

For the time being, it's simply the new name for our suite of products. In the near future, you'll no longer need to purchase IP.Board in order to use our other addons - they will be able to run independently of each other. Check out our blog entry at http://community.inv...e-changes-live/ and at http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-7634-license-changes-ipboard-34-and-the-future/ for details.

Posted

[quote name='Jam Man' timestamp='1346707023' post='2304517']However, this thread is not so much about the license arrangements, but rather the new comparison between the two (as has always been the case).

I was tossing in the license details to also show that you wouldn't be getting the raw end of a deal when IPB eventually goes from IPB3 to IPB4 because the license isn't version specific. If anything, when it comes to licenses, IPB and vB are doing what the other should be doing. ie, IPS should be selling licenses that are version specific (because it's better quality) and vB should be doing licenses that are valid regardless of the version (as an incentive to buy the lower quality product). Best of both worlds with IPS though. :)